Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515

    Another day at the San Juan Trail

    Well just got back from riding SJT and it was fun. A little bit hot once we started the climb but other than that it was a great ride. The trail seems in decent condition. Just watch out for some of the deep ruts. Lots of rocks once you start getting near cocktail rock. Gotta practice on navigating through those switchbacks.

    Here are some shots:

    Brad starting the 6.5 uphill climb to cocktail rock


    Lots of fun climbing!


    Almost... (trying to get over a small bump)


    Looking back


    Two slackers we met going up (we were suppose to meet at 8:00 but they came 40 min later)


    Brad doing dh'ing


    Down down down....


    Switchbacks


    Alright time for some more rest.
    Keep Pedaling

  2. #2
    Old Bikes Suck!
    Reputation: vdubbusrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    779
    awesome. the photos are more impressive with riders in them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

    [SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

  3. #3
    ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Reputation: Captain Snakebite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    640

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! How hard is this trail?

    I will be doing a group ride in a few weeks at SJT. This will be my first time.

    Just wondering how you would rate this ride?

    Im from San Diego and I ride Noble Canyon, ATT and Sweetwater.

    There anything i should know about before doing this ride?

    Thanks
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

  4. #4
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    I will be doing a group ride in a few weeks at SJT. This will be my first time.

    Just wondering how you would rate this ride?

    Im from San Diego and I ride Noble Canyon, ATT and Sweetwater.

    There anything i should know about before doing this ride?

    Thanks
    One thing, itll be hot. I would probably rate this trail as a 8 out of 10. Itll probably be up there with my favorites (SART, Holy Jim/Trabuco). Its really a lot of fun and heck of a work out to get to the top. Some guys bring shin gaurds on the way up and wear them doing downhill so they dont cut up. My friend mentioned getting some since his shins looked pretty bad. I ride mostly XC (agressive?) so I dont see the use, plus more weight to carry going up. Im now thinking about heading back out there next saturday.

    Have a good time!
    Keep Pedaling

  5. #5
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    I will be doing a group ride in a few weeks at SJT. This will be my first time.

    Just wondering how you would rate this ride?

    Im from San Diego and I ride Noble Canyon, ATT and Sweetwater.

    There anything i should know about before doing this ride?

    Thanks
    It's definitely easier than Noble. Not nearly as technical, but some think it's more fun. The switchbacks are awesome and were a little bermed prior to the rain. I'm not sure how the trail conditions are now. Unlike Noble you do some up and down up to coctail rock and then the rest is all downhill. Halfway through Noble you have to climb again for that last cool section. Once you finish the climbing at SJT it's all downhill.

    Rockmtb.com is riding there next Saturday.

  6. #6
    ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Reputation: Captain Snakebite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    It's definitely easier than Noble. Not nearly as technical, but some think it's more fun. The switchbacks are awesome and were a little bermed prior to the rain. I'm not sure how the trail conditions are now. Unlike Noble you do some up and down up to coctail rock and then the rest is all downhill. Halfway through Noble you have to climb again for that last cool section. Once you finish the climbing at SJT it's all downhill.

    Rockmtb.com is riding there next Saturday.
    Thanks for the info!

    The Rock Group is who im riding with, i hope it will be a fun ride.
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

  7. #7
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515

    Crap!

    Looks like they're predicting some rain next weekend. Of course a week too early to tell but I hope it doesnt rain. Well cloudy weather would be perfect.
    Keep Pedaling

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    One thing, itll be hot. I would probably rate this trail as a 8 out of 10. Itll probably be up there with my favorites (SART, Holy Jim/Trabuco). Its really a lot of fun and heck of a work out to get to the top. Some guys bring shin gaurds on the way up and wear them doing downhill so they dont cut up. My friend mentioned getting some since his shins looked pretty bad. I ride mostly XC (agressive?) so I dont see the use, plus more weight to carry going up. Im now thinking about heading back out there next saturday.

    Have a good time!
    Hey mtnkikerdude,
    What time were you going to start on Saturday?

  9. #9
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo90802
    Hey mtnkikerdude,
    What time were you going to start on Saturday?
    Probably same time, 8ish at the trail head. Just hoping it doesnt rain on us
    Keep Pedaling

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Probably same time, 8ish at the trail head. Just hoping it doesnt rain on us
    Mind if me and a couple of friend tag along? I'll try emailing you when it gets closer to next weekend?

    Cheers,
    Zo

  11. #11
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo90802
    Mind if me and a couple of friend tag along? I'll try emailing you when it gets closer to next weekend?

    Cheers,
    Zo
    Yeah sure no probblem. Its still up in the air for me but ill probably do it next saturday. Ill keep you informed also.
    Keep Pedaling

  12. #12
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,327
    wow beautiful
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  13. #13
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Thanks for the info!

    The Rock Group is who im riding with, i hope it will be a fun ride.
    Oh, right on. I'll see you Saturday then.

  14. #14
    ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Reputation: Captain Snakebite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    640

    Listen!

    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Oh, right on. I'll see you Saturday then.

    What do you ride? ill look for you.
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

  15. #15
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    What do you ride? ill look for you.
    A black Bullit. What about you?

  16. #16
    ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Reputation: Captain Snakebite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    A black Bullit. What about you?
    04 Stump, hey whats your AIM?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

  17. #17
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    04 Stump, hey whats your AIM?
    AIM??

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    AIM??
    AIM=AOL instant messenger

  19. #19
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo90802
    AIM=AOL instant messenger
    I choose not to use AOL, but you can PM me here if you want. I just saw that you already did. I'll take it offline.

  20. #20
    pillage! plunder! 4 parts
    Reputation: pedaling pyrate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    251

    ditto on the hot

    It can get smoking out there. Bring lots of water even if it is cool to start. I rode this for the first time Memorial day weekend 04 and some areas were overgrown enough that I had some good scratches that took 6 weeks to heal up well. Just scratches from riding thru brush - no falls.

    It's a lot of fun but I saw some pics from earlier in the year where there were some serious ruts. check out www.mountainbikebill.com for some good video and other info.

    Enjoy!
    don't question why you ride but rather why you don't ride more.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:03 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 03:01 PM
  3. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
  4. Proposed Skeggs Trail Management Plan
    By font9a in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •