mtbr member

Another bicyclist dead..this is getting ridiculous

I am pretty sure this is a wide open area...no way if the driver had been paying attention this should have happened.

http://santamariatimes.com/news/loca...cc4c03286.html
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Ouch, that sucks. Not that this justifies it or makes it better but I would not be riding my bike on Betteravia. (Of course I've been nervous ever since I got hit by a car when I lived in SLO and avoid all high traffic roads now.)

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    no way if the driver had been paying attention this should have happened.
    after Moore unexpectedly turned in front of Lee's truck, according to the California Highway Patrol. Lee, who was driving his 2001 Dodge Dakota westbound on Betteravia, was approaching Moore and his bicycle at about 55 mph. Lee veered further to the center of the road to allow more space for Moore, according to the CHP, when without warning Moore turned abruptly in front of his truck.

granted, the report cites the CHP report which is the driver's account but:

after Moore unexpectedly turned in front of Lee's truck, according to the California Highway Patrol. Lee, who was driving his 2001 Dodge Dakota westbound on Betteravia, was approaching Moore and his bicycle at about 55 mph. Lee veered further to the center of the road to allow more space for Moore, according to the CHP, when without warning Moore turned abruptly in front of his truck.

so, the drive moved towards the center of the road and the bicyclist veered unexpectedly turned in front of the truck. how much more attention could he have been paying?

Beer Please!
    I would be awful as the driver, even knowing there was nothing i could of done to avoid the swerving bicycle.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Rider was part of a local group and experienced...unlikely that he would swerve into traffic like that...though I guess possible...just unlikely.

All the information that I am aware of at this time comes from the driver. I am sure that he would tell the officer that he was on the phone or texting or something else. People always tell the truth right? Especially when they stand to get in trouble? And I am sure he was going exactly the speed limit too...

I also find it unlikely or am at least skeptical that a truck that was in middle or road when a cyclist swerved in front of him would be hit so dead on that the rider would hit the windshield. Wouldnt the driver then swerve more? and probably hit the biker on fender or something?

I just find it uncomfortable when the case seems to be closed within hours of the accident happening.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Rider was part of a local group and experienced...unlikely that he would swerve into traffic like that...though I guess possible...just unlikely.

All the information that I am aware of at this time comes from the driver. I am sure that he would tell the officer that he was on the phone or texting or something else. People always tell the truth right? Especially when they stand to get in trouble? And I am sure he was going exactly the speed limit too...

I also find it unlikely or am at least skeptical that a truck that was in middle or road when a cyclist swerved in front of him would be hit so dead on that the rider would hit the windshield. Wouldnt the driver then swerve more? and probably hit the biker on fender or something?

I just find it uncomfortable when the case seems to be closed within hours of the accident happening.
    My sister in law is a CHP officeer. Whenever there is an accident with an injury or fatality there is a detailed investigation. In this case she told me the skid marks are several feet towards the center of the road, nowhere near the bike lane. The skid marks will also allow them to determine how fast he was driving. They also check cell phone records to see if the people involved were on the phone. If the guy did something wrong they will find out.

I agree it is unlikely that he just swerved suddenly but who knows? He could have had a mechanical failure, flat tire, etc. Considering his age he may have had a heart attack.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    thanks sandmangts for update. If you hear more could you let us know please?

Glad to Be Alive
    roads are made for cars....dirt for bikes....sad to his family

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Very sad indeed. I agree with SMT...... to get the most from your biking experiences, stay on the dirt. Unfortunate for the hoards of riders that get the thrill of unrelenting pressure on the pedal at 22 mph for hours. You guys and gals on the road PLEEEEZE be careful.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I commute to work regularly. I have never felt more danger than on my morning commute on Mira Mesa blvd when people are busy drinking coffee and putting on makeup in their cars. Lucky for my I found a route with a long bike path and on the way home I commute through PQ canyon.

Though this gentleman was clearly experienced it is still hard to say what caused him to veer off course. I was riding up a hill once and I stood up to pedal and my chain broke on my left pedal stroke causing me to crash to the left in the path of traffic. If anyone had been coming I would have been hit for sure.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Beer Please!
    yeah, i don't think the driver was at fault here. being a roadie is a dangerous thing.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts