mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Angeles National Forest closed?

My buddies and i are planning on riding Chilao tomorrow but i was wondering if any part or parts of that trail are closed. The weather over here in long beach is great but im not sure about over there. Plus, you have to take the Angeles crest highway (2 freeway) to get there and i know that was closed but only up until Wed. Ant input would be greatly appreciated. Dont want to waste gas for nothing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    closed. i called USFS. for reals. sux

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    All trail in the Angeles, San Bernardino, Los Padres and Cleveland National Forests are closed until further notice.
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

RIP 12/95 - 02/09

Angeles National Forest Fire Information (626) 821-6700

As of 10-28-07 Angeles National Forest is closed "indefinitely" per the gentleman I spoke to on phone. I live next to JPL and they're using helicopters / loud speakers right now to chase people out of the forest.

I just came back from riding Sullivan Canyon, Caballero and that is open with no restrictions. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    NEWS RELEASE
    USDA Forest Service
    Angeles National Forest

Date: October 31, 2007 Angeles National Forest
    701 N. Santa Anita Avenue
    Arcadia, CA 91006
    (626) 574-5200
    www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    or Kathy Peterson 626) 574-5208

Angeles National Forest will continue the Temporary Emergency Closure through the Weekend

ARCADIA, Calif. - As a result of extreme fire danger, and to protect public health and safety, Angeles National Forest officials will continue the temporary emergency Forest closure for awhile longer. The closure became effective last week on October 23, 2007 and it is projected to last until conditions have improved.

“It is our intent to get the Forest re-opened to the public as soon as possible,” Jody Noiron, Forest Supervisor, said. “However, with the extreme fire danger, ongoing fires in Southern California and the predicted strong weekend winds, we need to make public health and safety our primary concern. We will reassess the situation early next week to see if things have changed so that we can lift the closure.”

Individuals or organizations holding special use permits for sanctioned activities within the Forest are exempt from this order.

While the closure is in effect, going into or being upon National Forest System lands, roads, or trails within the Angeles National Forest is not allowed. The closure will affect the use of all National Forest recreational facilities, roads and hiking trails. Violators are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

Most County roads and state highways, such as the Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2), will remain open to through traffic. However, Glendora Mountain Road (GMR) is closed from Big Dalton Road to East Fork. The Glendora Ridge Road is closed from the junction with GMR to Mt. Baldy Village. Chantry Road is also closed.

For more information on the closure on the Angeles NF, please contact one of the offices listed below or visit the Forest website at www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles.

Forest Supervisor’s Office, Arcadia (626) 574-1613
    Los Angeles River Ranger District, Tujunga (818) 899-1900
    San Gabriel River Ranger District, Glendora (626) 335-1251
    *Note: The Santa Clara Mojave Rivers Ranger District which was located in Saugus, CA was destroyed in the Buckweed fire and a temporary office will be re-established soon.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Angeles, Los Padres and San Bernardino will be open on Thursday 11/8. The Cleveland is expected to open on Saturday.
    www.otbmbc.com

"so pitted"
    Awesome. I'm glad they are opening before the weekend (11/10/07). If there is any info on trail repairs or a schedule on proposed clean ups please let us know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how reliable is that info? where is it from?

the inciweb page says that the santiago fire in the cleveland is still flaring, seems unlikely that they will open the northern portion, at least.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09
    I Called today inquiring about the Angeles National Forest. Lady on telephone said the Forest is opening this thursday the 8th of November.

MTB SOCAL
    Does anyone know if the trails in the San Gabriel Mountains (Brown / El Prieto or Chaney / Sunset) will be open by the weekend?
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Called yesterday, the lady said all the forest was opening up and wasnt sure on east glendora yet but yes it will.

I'll call right now and ask for you.

Mike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    Does anyone know if the trails in the San Gabriel Mountains (Brown / El Prieto or Chaney / Sunset) will be open by the weekend?
    Yes, according to NPR news. Only certain parts of Angeles, i.e., those that burned, will remain closed. Cleveland National Forest is still closed but may open by Saturday.