Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Angeles Epic

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Angeles Epic

Epic I'm not sure. Long, really enjoyable ride...for sure. Whether that constitutes an epic you can be the judge.

I start this journey at Sunset Ridge fireroad gate just outside Millard Campground about 8:00 AM. From there I rode to Inspiration Point. After changing out my derailleur hanger I headed to the Idelhour Trail.

The Idlehour Trail was a blast. Not too technical IMO. While the trail is not for the faint hearted I found it less technical that say Middle Merrill. The trail has been cleared of vegetation recently and was in really nice condition. I ran into two guys in Idlehour Campground. They were going go up the canyon, off trail, to Eaton Pass. I hope they made it out. That's a long way to go. From Idlehour Campground it is a nice steep climb out to Mt. Wilson Toll Road.
    See photos 1-12 for Idlehour Trail photos.

After reaching Mt. Wilson Toll Road I headed up to Mt. Wilson. The winds were starting to pick up making me rather cold and wishing I had a jacket. From Wilson I rode down the Sturtevant Trail into Santa Anita Canyon. This trail was the high light of the trip. I haven't ridden it for years. I'm riding a much better bike now (I rode the trail the first time on a '91 Mongoose IBOC Comp hardtail with 1st Gen. Manitou fork with 1" of elastomer travel) and have improved my skills sense riding this trail about 6 years ago. There is a great stretch of rocky trail after the switchbacks and before the junction with the Mt. Zion trail. I had to walk most of this years ago but it was a blast this time.
    See photo 13 for picture of LA from Mt. Wilson Toll Road.
    See photos 14 and 15 for pictures of Sturtevant Trail

My wife picked me up at REI in Arcadia at 5:00 PM. Nice day of solitude on the trail on my bike. According to Topo! the ride was 21 miles and ~6,900 ft. of gain; however, Topo has a tendency to shorten the mileage. I just found my computer in my car this morning so I don't have actual mileage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.3 KB, 757 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (47.7 KB, 755 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (38.5 KB, 757 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (46.8 KB, 754 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (34.1 KB, 749 views)
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 11-27-2005 at 06:06 PM.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Photos 6-10

More photos
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (38.5 KB, 751 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (48.7 KB, 747 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (46.4 KB, 743 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (56.9 KB, 739 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (47.0 KB, 740 views)
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Photos 11-15

More photos

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    That's a good point. I still find trails like Middle Merrill, Sunset Ridge, or Mt. Hilyar better than what I rode yesterday. The Sutertvant Trail to Chantry is way up there though. I propably will not do Idlehour for a while. It was cool but not as good as others. What I really like about it was that not many people ride it. When you are out there you know you are pretty much alone. That is a really nice feeling living in LA.

Over the Hill
    Good job and thanks for the ride report. You did two trails that I have not explored yet, but have wanted to ride. The trails on Mt. Wilson are a gem...you are right about the remote feeling. It is remote, you screw up alone up there and you may not make it back out. I suppose that is part of the attraction.

I am looking for someone to ride/hike to the top of Baldy (Mt. San Antonio). We would start at Manaker Flats and bike up to Baldy Notch, then bike as far as we could to Devils Backbone Trail. I think we could get our bikes within maybe two miles from the summit. Obviously all is off if it snows.

Picture below is from a ride I did to Thunder Mountain a few weeks back, the sign is just above Baldy Notch Lodge.

mtbr member

Good job!

Hey dstepper,

I've always wanted to ride up there since I've only rideen San Sevaine, Cucamonga Canyon and on Sunset Peak Mtwy. i'm already commited to doing Blackstar this next Sunday, the 3rd of December. what about next weekend after that (weather permitting)?

i can muster up some strong riders to join us for that venture.

BTW, Great idea on that ride!

Over the Hill
    Lets do it!

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Photo of Backbone

Photo from the Backbone when I rode it this past summer.

Just another FOCer
    Nice ride recap and pictures.

Thanks,

Winston
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    It's interesting how some of the best trails hardly ever get ridden and the easy ones get volumes of traffic that they can barely handle. It says quite a bit about the average "mountain biker" in the Los Angeles area.
    Unfortunately this can be applied to almost anything...

It's interesting how some of the best_____ hardly ever get _____ and the easy ones get volumes of traffic... It says quite a bit about the average person.
    People tend to play it safe.

Just another Homer

Post it and they will come......

This sounds like a killer ride. Are you talking about doing this on the 10th? I've got a couple friends who'd join up for this. How about a mile/elevation estimate and approximate time to complete?
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

a.k.a. MTBMaven

The Skinny

Okay here's the skinny. I'm working on a ride that goes up to the top of Mt. Baldy. The route starts at Manker Flats and goes to the Notch, across the Backbone, to the summit of Baldy, the last half mile will be a hike to the summit. From the top the route goes down the Village Trail. The plan requires a shuttle from Mt. Baldy Village to Manker Flats.

According to Topo the route is 12 miles (Topo tends to shorten routes, so I'd say it's closer to 15 miles), with 3,948 feet of gain and 5,841 feet of loss. It's 6.4 to the summit.

We're looking at December 10th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Okay here's the skinny. I'm working on a ride that goes up to the top of Mt. Baldy. The route starts at Manker Flats and goes to the Notch, across the Backbone, to the summit of Baldy, the last half mile will be a hike to the summit. From the top the route goes down the Village Trail. The plan requires a shuttle from Mt. Baldy Village to Manker Flats.

According to Topo the route is 12 miles (Topo tends to shorten routes, so I'd say it's closer to 15 miles), with 3,948 feet of gain and 5,841 feet of loss. It's 6.4 to the summit.

We're looking at December 10th.
    what would the stats for a full loop of the ride be?

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Full Loop

The full loop adds 4 miles and 1,893 feet of elevation gain of pavement riding. Most of if is on steep narrow mountain road. It can be done though.

Maybe this could be extra credit. For those that want to ride the full loop they can park in the Village and others can start at Manker Flats. This would give slow pokes like myself a head start up the hill. When the ride is over the Manker Flats people could get a ride back up their vehicles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    The full loop adds 4 miles and 1,893 feet of elevation gain of pavement riding. Most of if is on steep narrow mountain road. It can be done though.

Maybe this could be extra credit. For those that want to ride the full loop they can park in the Village and others can start at Manker Flats. This would give slow pokes like myself a head start up the hill. When the ride is over the Manker Flats people could get a ride back up their vehicles.
    that's some serious road climbing, i've been up those crazy switchbacks before but didn't realize it was that much gain in so little distance, wild!!

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Mtn Biker
    that's some serious road climbing, i've been up those crazy switchbacks before but didn't realize it was that much gain in so little distance, wild!!
    Yeah I think almost all of the 1,800 feet of gain is from the switchbacks. Those things are hard to climb in a vehicle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you (or anyone else) ever biked or hiked the singletrack down? Is it rideable? I mapped an elevation profile of it and it looks a little steep. I think one of the miles drops 1500 ft and the others aren't much less. Usually the route on the map won't show all of the switchbacks though. Now I'm wondering which bike to bring and if plastic courage is needed.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    Have you (or anyone else) ever biked or hiked the singletrack down? Is it rideable? I mapped an elevation profile of it and it looks a little steep. I think one of the miles drops 1500 ft and the others aren't much less. Usually the route on the map won't show all of the switchbacks though. Now I'm wondering which bike to bring and if plastic courage is needed.
    I have not biked it nor have I heard of anyone riding it, hence the appeal. I hiked it this past summer and from a hikers point of view on the way up it looked rideable with a few exceptions. There are lots of little switchbacks that the topo misses.

Looking at the profile the steepest part appears to be above Bear Flats to the ridge labeled 7,451. This part is narrow due to vegetation but is not on a cliff or anything. The trail above the 7,451 ridge to the 8,402 label has tons of little switchbacks not marked on the topo. From the 8,402 label to the second sharp bend will be interesting, after that the trail is above treeline and should be a blast. The trail at that point is more rocky that dirt.

I think my Roach Freerides will be taken for sure, and maybe arm guards.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mtbmav...nn2AEBgmHu23JB
    Two photos from bike ride around Baldy and several from my hike up the Village Trail. The photos with the snow on my buddies head shows what the trail looks like above treeline.

Over the Hill
    Since Village Trail seems to be a unknown, I am thinking I may come back off the summit the way I went up and leave Village Trail to the young and brave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Since Village Trail seems to be a unknown, I am thinking I may come back off the summit the way I went up and leave Village Trail to the young and brave.
    There's an age limit? I'll bring my fake ID.

Just another Homer

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    There's an age limit? I'll bring my fake ID.

Everybody knows you're older then dirt!
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    I wonder if there will be any snow up there around December 10?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just checked weather.com and no snow. Supposed to get some rain this Friday though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak

Everybody knows you're older then dirt!
    That sounds and looks like a nice but tough ride. Thinking about joining you guys if you don't mind a slow one in the group...

My dogs are killin me
    Awesome pics!

That is a sweet bike you have there. I've seen it in other posts and always drool over that thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast