mtbr member

Altadena Inspiration Point

Just want to get additional info regarding this trail, only limited description i have so far is what is in mtbr trail review which is dated March 2007.
    Is this trail still open for bikers? And if so, what kind of condition can i expect? Degree of difficulty aeorbic and technical? Number of hiker traffic and are they friendly to bikers even though I always slow down and greet them.
    I live in Alhambra and Im tired of doing Brown up and down El Prieto. I understand there's numerous trails in the area I need to try.
    Also if you guys can recommend good trail maps and where to purchase for this area, I would much appreciate it.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden (actually hiked) Inspiration Point in a couple of years, but from what I remember, it was more of an unmaintained hiking trail. We pushed our bikes down most of the way until we got to the ruins. Totally, not worth it. Too much loose, unridable dirt with down trees and lots of overgrowth. No flow, whatsoever.

If you want a fun, tech, singletrack dh, take Middle Merril. It begins right where at the fork of the fire road up Mt Lowe to Inspiration Pt. The first part is under a canopy of trees, usually covered with some acorns and sprinkled with some tasty rocks. After you get out of the shade, you'll hit a faster track, somewhat more loose and more rocky (albeit, smaller in size than the previous), with some tight exposed sections. Once you get to the ruins, opt for the Sunset Ridge trail if you crave for more tech stuff. This will take you back to Millard campground if follow it through, or back to Mt Lowe Rd of you decide to end the ride a little sooner. If you want to cruise after the ruins, continue to take lower Merrill down to Cobb Estate. This route is smoother and less tech, but usually has quite a bit more hikers.

Have fun.
    Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    Just want to get additional info regarding this trail, only limited description i have so far is what is in mtbr trail review which is dated March 2007.
    Is this trail still open for bikers? And if so, what kind of condition can i expect? Degree of difficulty aeorbic and technical? Number of hiker traffic and are they friendly to bikers even though I always slow down and greet them.
    I live in Alhambra and Im tired of doing Brown up and down El Prieto. I understand there's numerous trails in the area I need to try.
    Also if you guys can recommend good trail maps and where to purchase for this area, I would much appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Try Turnbull Canyon in Whittier....

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=1793

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i ride this about 3 times a month. Start at the top of Lake blvd where you can park your car.....and follow the hikers to the trail head. take the doubletrack trail up about 2.7 miles to a fork. Take a sharp left (if you go straight it will take you to the old hotel)...follow the trail about 1 mi to Mt. Lowe railway and make a right. Take the gradual climb about 4 miles to a saddle where you will see a couple of trails. locate the middle merrill trail (the one that starts under the trees) and go to the left of that to inspiration point view area. I usually go to the top of mt wilson staing on the mt. lowe trail about another 4/5 miles.
    Take the middle merrill trail back down to the old hotel. The trail is a winding singletrack with some exposure and some techy stuff. it's one of the best singletracks in the area. It is fun for me and i ride it on a XC bike i race in.
    Take the same cross over to the Mt. lowe trail again, but this time make a left. About 10 yards on your left you will see the Sunset ridge trail. This is also a great singletrack. It will lead you to the top of Chaney street. Take the horse trail to the street and back to your car in about 2 miles of street riding.

Johny Sokko!
    Or... you can park at Chaney gate (top area of Millard Campground) then take Chaney fireroad to Middle Merril, then over to Sunset. Sunset will spit you out onto Chaney gate.

The total climb is like climbing to Brown Mt. Climbs, the ride is pretty technical, but if you are riding El P than you can do this ride, just take it easy.

Most important! Do not do this ride by yourself. Anything can happen out there!

I ride with Pasadena Mt Bike Club and we do that route all the time, you should check us out. See my link on my signature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2888
    Try Turnbull Canyon in Whittier....
    Yeah ive ridden TC couple times great trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    I ride with Pasadena Mt Bike Club and we do that route all the time, you should check us out. See my link on my signature.
    Cool i'll definitely check out PMBC, I think Ive seen you guys going up brown with a couple of guys pulling a trailer.

Thanks for your help.

cycletherapist
    Aug 2004
    good maps can be found at any local Pasadena bike shop... get the topo map

many many options.... you could theoretically ride from JPL, instead of going down El P, go into Millard and up up up up via road is the easy way, or up the singletrack lower Sunset and Sunset- I prefer however to climb on the road. then up to IP, and down M Merrill and and Sunset trails back into Millard campground then up a small climb and then down El P... that's a very long ride though.

As recommended above you can park at the gate at he top of Chaney, makes for a shorter ride then it's only a couple to three hours (depends on your speed up and down!)

Or pedal up lower Merril- but I think too much foot traffic.

These are advanced trails, so beware of going too fast your first time- you can get tricked into it, there is plenty of exposure in the form of steep cliffs and drop off switchbacks. RIding it alone is risky- if something happens to you, you could be there for a while.

I recommend hooking up with above poster from PMBC...

Johny Sokko!
    So you have seen the infamous BOB trailer! Oh the stories that little trailer could tell! Libations! Libations! Libations!