Silence and Thunder...

Almost ran over a Puma !!

Last Saturday I did a solo ride up at Cuyamaca on the new-ish SS. I rolled around a corner and missed his head by about 3" !!
    My heartrate shot up as I stopped and turned around while reaching for my camera, wondering which way he was gonna go...
    He never even got aggressive, just turned and headed back into the bushes as I frantically tried to snap off a few shots.
    On the way home I wondered if maybe it wasn't just a bobcat instead...

But after looking at the pictures, I'm pretty sure it was actually a Mojave....

** how's that, DJ

Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

REALLY?
    Thats a pacific diamond back. I think hes a bit dark for a Mojave and his diamond pattern is a little different. This one is 9 or 10 years old, he appears to be about 7 feet long.

The difference between a puma and a bobcat is bobcats have faint spots and are small, they dont have tails, they look more like a house cat where as puma'a are larger without the spots and have a tail.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 07-17-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Silence and Thunder...
    Thanks Jeff! My bad.... after a bit more research, it would appear that it is in fact a Southern Pacific Diamonback rather than a Mohave (spelling also...).
    This one was only about 3' long, not 7'...

And thank gawd we finally got the facts straight concerning the difference between Cougars and Bobcats!!

REALLY?
    ok...he looks alot bigger in the pics, my bad.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 07-17-2008 at 10:31 AM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

fat guy on a little bike
    Apr 2007
    I was drunk one night and tripped over a puma.....got a sweet pic of it.

Flaccid Member
    That's good old Crotallus viridis helleri if it was scutulatas it would be a Green ruber would be a red diamondback and atrox would be a rare find in California but a Western Diamondback. A "coontail" pure black and white tail is a giveaway for a diamondback species.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 07-19-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...all this for Dirtjunkie's amusement, and once again, he's late for the party....
    *sheesh...

Front Range, Colorado
    Last Saturday I went for a quick ride up at BLT and this jumped out in front of me. I did all I could to snap off a shot all the time shaking in my SIDIs.. I couldn't tell if it was a Cougar or a Bobcat can someone please advice.

Cougarhttp://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...0/tinafey2.jpgor Bobcat

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Last Saturday I went for a quick ride up at BLT and this jumped out in front of me. I did all I could to snap off a shot all the time shaking in my SIDIs.. I couldn't tell if it was a Cougar or a Bobcat can someone please advice.

Cougarhttp://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...0/tinafey2.jpgor Bobcat

Oh I havent see that species before, but never fear, google is your friend. She is a distant cousin of the Felidaehousegoddessamus (the tigeress). This species is solitary, generally resting most of the day in her den, it is at night when she comes out to hunt. She is a very skilled hunter with a 87% success rate. She also is also small, not much bigger then her domestic counterparts and because if this she if often mistaken as a domestic, while she is very wild she can often be found dwelling in urban areas searching for small prey known to dwell in urban areas. If approched by her be careful, this ones bite is rather nasty despite her small stature, generally though this species would rather avoid a confronttation, just give her pleanty of room and you should be ok.

Very nice find by the way, be sure to share pictures should you happen to come across this species again!
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 07-17-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    ok...he looks alot bigger in the pics, my bad.
    Well considering a Southern Pacific only reaches 5' in length I suppose a 7' guess wasn't bad considering the photos and all. Yes this is a Southern Pacific but you are confusing the name Diamondback with Southern Pacific. There is two species and you are mixing their names up. Southern Pacific and Western Diamondback.

Southern Pacific rattlesnake.
    The southern Pacific rattlesnake is common in southern California from the coast through the desert foothills to elevations of 10,000 feet. It reaches 4-5 feet in length.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...o.helleri.html
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-17-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Silence and Thunder...
    Oh, I -have- seen that species before, and hope to again!!

Tina's got some great gams there....

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Oh, I -have- seen that species before, and hope to again!!

Tina's got some great gams there....
    Well you do live in San Diego, which is Cougar capital. So there is no excuse for not seeing one in the wild again.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-18-2008 at 01:53 PM.

REALLY?
    Well considering a Southern Pacific only reaches 5' in length I suppose a 7' guess wasn't bad considering the photos and all. Yes this is a Southern Pacific but you are confusing the name Diamondback with Southern Pacific. There is two species and you are mixing their names up. Southern Pacific and Western Diamondback.

Southern Pacific rattlesnake.
    The southern Pacific rattlesnake is common in southern California from the coast through the desert foothills to elevations of 10,000 feet. It reaches 4-5 feet in length.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...o.helleri.html

Actually I was generalizing...after all, they do all have diamonds on there back, but yes your correct, my bad!

Johny Sokko!
    She's a cub, she is to young to be Cougar.

She has been hiding all her sexualness behind glasses and a reporters outfit. Fey is on fire!

i can't type the letter s
    (Cough -- BS --cough) Photochop!

On that subject here's an interesting article.

Faith Hill purdy / Faith Hill really purdy!

Glad to Be Alive
    cougar alert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Grrrrrrrr Bob. NICE! Be careful with those cougars, they might bite! Not too hard though!
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~