Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Non of those 2 trails are very good right after a heavy rain.
    The wet soil gets pretty sticky, works like clay.
    If the rain is not heavy and the weather after is warm and sunny they are usually alright the next day.
    The best trail to ride after rain in this area is San Juan.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Anything more than about 1/3 inch rain will close both of those parks--so right now it looks kinda iffy...

You could do the Santiago Truck Trail-Luge (with an option to Old Camp)--just on the other side of Whiting. It's in the National Forest, so it doesn't close, and handles light rain pretty well.

And you could drive down to the San Juan Trail. It's rideable even in the rain. If you'd like a tour guide at any of those spots, let me know!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Sled of Lead.
    Both Aliso and Whiting close after any significant rain.

If it rains, I'd suggest riding San Jaun trail in the Cleveland National Forest. It tends to hold up pretty well in the rain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wow, I had no idea there were so many responses to this thread...at first I was getting email notifications, but those stopped last weeek so I thought the thread died...wrong.

thanks for all the info guys, this is exactly the type of info I needed and it's good to see an active and helpful forum like our local IMBA chapter (morcmtb.org).

We decided where we did so we could rent a couple 650b's from the Path Bike shop, turns out is was a suggestion from more than one of you

That 7 mile climb at San Juan might kill two guys from the Midwest, but if it's our best option then so be it. Looks like it's not much farther from the other two, so it should work out if need be. Looks like we've got a lot of other suggestions here too on different areas, I'll start checking them out just in case one area doesn't get hit with the rains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    And you could drive down to the San Juan Trail. It's rideable even in the rain. If you'd like a tour guide at any of those spots, let me know!
    A guide would be great, but considering we have to take a 20 minute rest after our hilliest climb here (probably only 400 ft) I don't think we'd want to subject anyone to the frustration of sticking with us...it would probably be very comical for you though

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I'm going to be in the minority here, but if you're staying near LAX, you don't want to go anywhere in the San Gabriel's. You'll spend half the day in the car even without traffic just getting to and from the trails, plus the bike rental (more on that in a minute).

From that area, I'd head North to the Santa Monica's and ride either Backbone trail from Kanan-Dume (East or West is fun) or Cheseboro. Cheseboro is a lot of fireroad without much single track, though its also the flattest trails of the bunch. Backbone heading EAST starts off with a mind-numbing stooopid steep climb, but its short. After that it undulates . . . a little up . . . a little down, etc. If you are in decent shape its not bad and you can get in some miles. If you head WEST, you can get in even more miles, but its a bit more climbing involved.

For a bike rental, I'd call Helen's in Santa Monica and see what they have. If you ask to "Demo" a bike, they'll set you up for the day for like $50. I know for certain they have a SC Tallboy LT demo right now, which would be loads of fun out here.

If you want some other suggestions, let me know. I'm local to Santa Monica and would be happy to show you around if you want. I'm from the Midwest originally, so I know what kind of terrain you're coming from! It took me two months to be able to climb here at all and I'm still slower than snot.
    Thanks, this is some great info and makes me feel better knowing you've seen what we consider hilly I'll definitely check these out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I rode SART yesterday, and although there is plenty of show up there, it was mostly ride-able. I ride SART all year round. We also rode it December 26 when it was snowing and had a blast. Large animal prints turned out to by Mountain Lion tracks (according to a buddy at Fish and Game), and were everywhere, but we did not get to see any big kitty's. Temps were from 39 to 55 degrees, so not too bad. It was tough to get traction but the snow was thinner as we dropped into the bottom. Do not let a little snow stop you all from enjoying it up there, just be safe and have fun!
    Very cool! We just went from 40 degrees and having all of our snow melt down to -20 and praying for snow to come so we can get back out and ride. My snow rides this season so far have been between 3 and 19 degrees (after up to 14" snowfalls), so 39-50 would be a dream! I've never done snow on a non-fattie though...

mtbr member

Not good

The pars service closes them for 48 hours after measurable rai, and whiting usually quite a bit longer. As stated above San Juan is good after some rain. Sycamore in riverside is pretty far away but shrugs off rain very well, it is about 45 min to an hour from the path though so it's your call as to weather or not it's worth it to you.

b a n n e d
    One great option after rain in the SM's is Space Mountain/Los Robles . . . so long as its not ACTIVELY raining, that trail seems to soak up moisture really well.

Not too harsh on the climbing out there either.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Anything more than about 1/3 inch rain will close both of those parks--so right now it looks kinda iffy...

You could do the Santiago Truck Trail-Luge (with an option to Old Camp)--just on the other side of Whiting. It's in the National Forest, so it doesn't close, and handles light rain pretty well.

+1 For Dirtvert's guided tours.. He took myself and another guy on the San Juan trail a few weeks ago and I while I was lagging behind he was patient and knew his way around.

Don't look down here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2