mtbr member
    May 2007

Aliso/Woods canyon tires?

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions for which tires to run in Aliso/Woods since I live right there and ride it a couple of times a week. I'm in my second year of riding on an Iron Horse Mk3. Thanks

Surf 'n' Trail Rat
    I live in Laguna and ride LCWP and Aliso regularly. Lately, i've been running WTB Weirwolfs (2.3) front and rear, and have been quite happy with them. I've also used them in the San Gabs and in Utah with no complaints, although it did take a week or two getting used to cornering because of the angled rows of side knobs. Love 'em!

Yesterday I switched to Schwalbes (Fat Albert rear, Big Betty front), since I need heavier-duty for D-ville.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I think almost everything works at Aliso since everything is pretty much dry. In our group, we have used everything from WTB to Kenda to Schwalbes, and all works well. The only thing I would stay away is tires with thin sidewalls like Continentals and use larger tires like 2.35 if you are going to do Rocket regularly (the rock garden part) at high speed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was looking at the 2.3-2.4" range, I forgot to mention I weigh almost 220 with gear. Thats good to hear most of them work great, any word on good rolling resistance?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Kenda Nevegal has worse than average rolling resistance but great traction. Schwalbes are awesome but cost more than $55 each. My bro uses Nevegal 2.35" Stick-E in the front, and WTB Weirwolf 2.1" in the back, and that seem to work. I have Albert 2.35" in the front, and 2.25" in the back.

mtbr member
    maxxis ignitors or larsen tt's work well there for a rear tire.. fronts ignitor, nevegal, etc it all works