Thread: Aliso Woods?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Aliso Woods?

Thinking about going there soon but kinda confused about all the trails there. Is everything pretty clearly marked? What trails would you suggest both going up and down that are geared more to a beginner. Would prefer something faster over more technical.

thanks!

"so pitted"
    I wouldn't say anything is really a beginner trail except for the fire road in but when in doubt just walk it. Here's a good loop with some challenge

Fire road-to-Cholla-to-Rockit-at the bottom of Rockit go right and now you are on Coyote-take it to the end and hang a right-head up Mathis (big climb)-at the top check out the great views of the ocean. Either take Mathis back down or ride down the fire road to do Rock it again and at the bottom of Rockit hang a left and then take the fire road back to your car. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joytron
    Thinking about going there soon but kinda confused about all the trails there. Is everything pretty clearly marked? What trails would you suggest both going up and down that are geared more to a beginner. Would prefer something faster over more technical.

thanks!
    There are usually park maps at the different kyosks or pick up a Franko's map at the local bike shop. I know that both Rock n Road and The Path carry them.

There are really not that many trails and they are all pretty well marked. Not sure where you are going to start riding (Laguna or Aliso), so I will assume Aliso.

A good loop to get yourself acquainted with the area would be to start at the Ranger Station, head over to Wood Canyon Trail. Take that (and/or Coyote Run which will parallel it at times) all the way over to Cholla. You will pass the bottom of Meadows, Mathis, Rockit and Lynx. Climb cholla - a steep, but short climb. Climb West Ridge all the way up to Alta Laguna Park. You will pass Lynx, Rockit and Mathis. Ride Alta Laguna Blvd. all the way over to Meadows. Go down Meadows and head back to the Ranger Station.

Probably 10 or so miles with 1,000 or so feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah I am not sure where I will be starting from getting a feel for the trails on here and socalmtb is really kind of confusing. Thanks for the excellent direction and advice.

Are any of the trails good for hiking, my gf might come along for the day?

mtbr member
    yeah I am not sure where I will be starting from getting a feel for the trails on here and socalmtb is really kind of confusing. Thanks for the excellent direction and advice.

Are any of the trails good for hiking, my gf might come along for the day?
    Most of the trails are multi-use and are used by both bikers and hikers. There are generally more hikers on the fireroads (Wood Canyon Trail, West Ridge), but any of the trails in the park can be hiked.

You just need to get a Franko's map, get out there and explore.

Then you have to go across the canyon to El Morro - Crystal Cove State Park - Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. That is where it can get a little confusing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ah thanks for all the advice, had a great time out there, cholla just about killed me.
    http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails...m?list=reviews

Does anyone know the trail in the main picture, would love to ride that.

mtbr member
    ah thanks for all the advice, had a great time out there, cholla just about killed me.
    http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails...m?list=reviews

Does anyone know the trail in the main picture, would love to ride that.
    I am pretty sure that is somepart of Coyote Run. Did you ever take Coyote Run or did you stay on the Woods Canyon fire road the whole time on your way over to Cholla?

That trail also looks similar to the bottom of Meadows. If you did not have a chance to go down Meadows the other day, you definitely need to give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We did woods canyon fire road to cholla, than took rock-it down, and that met with I think coyote and we took that until woods canyon.

mtbr member
    geoladders.com... Lots of easy to follow maps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    All the hill trails in Aliso-Wood are pretty tough for a beginner, both climbing and descending. If you can't climb any of them comfortably, Cholla is the shortest walk! Next most rideable is Mathis, which is also the longest, biggest hill.

My standard evening workout ride is/was to start at the top at Alta Vista and ride down Rock-It, up Cholla, down Lynx, then up Mathis. Lynx and Rock-It are too hard/technical for a good climb. Most people would find these ups and downs to be their best bet.

+1 on picking up some Franko's maps. They're really nice. The parks people are using blown-up versions at trailheads.

Crystal Cove has a lot more easy stuff (though it's a pretty tough place too).

The reality of mountain biking in SoCal is that the open space we have to ride on is only there because it was too steep to build on! By national standards, there ain't no easy ridin' here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thank you for the help, yeah I wound up walking up most of Cholla and rock it was too technical for me to go all that fast, and my shock is pretty much immobile so it was pretty rough. On the map it shows no connector between mathis and meadows but I was reading online that someone took that route. Can anyone verify this?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Everything connects one way or another. Ride with someone who knows the area. Lots of fun trails.