xls
    Eduardo Naranja

Akron Bike Shop in San Diego

Hi, I'm in desperate need of a new bike (my stumpy got stolen recently) at a good deal.

I found some good prices at this place, however I'm not local (I'm in the SF Bay Area). They're willing to sell via email / phone but want the money wired to their account, etc. Basically it has some elements of an internet scam but they do give a full address and website with a picture of their shop.

http://www.akron-bike.com/

Is there someone local here who can confirm they're for real?

Thanks very much!

mtbr member
    That's right downtown, but I haven't noticed it. The storefront looks odd for that part of town...but who knows?

Look at it this way: the City of San Diego City Attorney's office has a Chief Deputy in charge of Consumer Affairs that chases down and crushes scam artists that use the internet and are based here, so how bad could it be if things go wrong? heh heh

cask conditioned
    Some elements of a scam? Take a close looks at those 'store' pics. I like the sign in the store that says "Bike Store." Wouldn't 515 E St. be smack dab in the middle of Gaslamp where one wouldn't find a one story shop like that in a high rent district?

Why not check out and support your LBS's first?

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have no idea about the location in SD, but the store signs sure look like a 2nd grader photoshop job.

Why not check out and support your LBS's first?

$700 price difference (probably another scam alert?)

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    I did some more research (DNS lookup, called the number, etc) and it definitely smells like a scam. I'm in LA over thanksgiving, maybe we'll take a trip down to SD and I'll check it out myself then.

So unless someone local confirms that this place is legit I'd warn everyone who's thinking about doing business with them.

mtbr member
    Call them, ask for directions to the shop and post them here. There are plenty of us that work downtown or nearly downtown that can roll by to check it out. If it's a screaming price, it might be worth it to pursue.

If they are bogus, or balk....let me know. I'll put you in touch with the City Atty's office, so you can file a complaint and chase them down.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Called them, got a machine, left message to call me back. I doubt it'll happen, if they do I'll post here again.

Again, thanks for your responses and offers to help!

[SIZE=1]Now I'm *really* hyped up about getting the bike... :|[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! not a real dealer

this shop also has all kinds of bikes posted for sale on ebay, they have no pics, and wrong info (warranty info is all wrong)- plus they claim to be selling rocky mountain bikes. Since I work for rocky, I can guarantee that they are not a dealer---total scam!!!
    "There has not been a more civilizing invention in the memory of the present generation than the invention of the bicycle, open to all classes, enjoyed by both sexes, and by all ages.

Leash Law Enforcer

Looks funny

The exterior shot of that shop looks a lot like a Photoshop job done on the performance bike shop in Kearney Mesa. It is definitely not a real photo as all the signs (including the address number) are done with some graphic editing tool. Do not do business with these guys!

mtbr member
    May 2004

most likely bogus

1. Never seen it in my drunken ramblings there. There is a tiny shop around there, but it is not that one!
    2. Butchered Photo
    3. ALL DESCRIPTIONS BORROWED FROM THIS SITE!
    4. Prices too good to be true...probably not true
    5. Ebay listings

I would not send money there unless you are covered for fraud.
    But come on down to SD and ride!
    Last edited by harryhood; 11-11-2004 at 03:10 PM.

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr

Total scam

515 E St puts that shop 1 block east of Horton Plaza. I lived there for the last 2 years and I have never seen any bike shop except for the one down by Fred's and Moose Mcgillicuddy's. They claim that they've been open since 2002. It's gotta be a scam. Anyone ever seen a store front like that on 5th and E? With a Parking lot? I think not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Ok I did a scan of the county's address database and it came up with nothing for 515 E St. San Diego 92101. Let all you peeps know that this is a scam. I knew it was too good to be true when I saw a 2004 Stinky Primo ($3,700) being advertised on e-bay for $1,300 at Akron.

mtbr member

Idea!

Okay...time for someone that's had contact with them to forward their email string to the San Diego City Attorney's office. Call and ask for the Consumer Fraud division and they'll hook you up with an investigator that will take your emails and calls. Save someone less careful than you from getting screwed.

mtbr member
    They look to be bogus. Lots of info here.

TD

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Okay...time for someone that's had contact with them to forward their email string to the San Diego City Attorney's office. Call and ask for the Consumer Fraud division and they'll hook you up with an investigator that will take your emails and calls. Save someone less careful than you from getting screwed.
    I don't think they have anything in San Diego, other than the fake address. Would the City Attorney still consider this a valid fraud case?

mtbr member

Listen! Info

Quote Originally Posted by xls
    I don't think they have anything in San Diego, other than the fake address. Would the City Attorney still consider this a valid fraud case?
    Yes, I think so. Here's the link to the .pdf Complaint Form for the Consumer Fraud/Environmental Division , and it includes the phone number there in the office. Give them a call, and talk to the intake clerk about the matter. These guys are advertising on eBay, and you have had interactions with them, including some paper trail or phone records. I think the City Atty's office will take a look at it, because it does use a San Diego address and they have photos online.

A little effort on your part may save somebody from getting really screwed. Pay it forward, bro. It all comes around.

Specialized Rida

Here's Akron selling a Demo 9 for dirt cheap

I found this on Ebay it seems to be Akron selling a Demo 9 for really cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW