OMR - Old Man Riding

No good Air quality in Saddleback Valley - VERY BAD

For you guys that are thinking of riding in all this bad air quality from the various fires that are now buring throughout the region... I have three words....PLEASE THINK TWICE!

All that crap you're breathing in while doing heavy exercise tends to get stored deeply in the lungs and can cause all sorts of problems later on in life. It's one of the major problems with firefighters as they get older. Even though they have the masks and breathing apparatus, they still develop lung problems later on.

We had a ride scheduled off of La Pata in San Clemente on Sat.... now cancelled. Several other groups are also cancelling their ride as well. I think the only safe bets are down in San Diego (Noble) or maybe up in the San Gabriel's (SART) for Sat. Hopefully, the fire may be controlled by Sunday with better air in the basin.

JMHO.....

OMR.... trying to breath here in Laguna Niguel....

cask conditioned
    I'd say to head anywhere North of OC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    I'd say to head anywhere North of OC.
    I looked all over for a photo like that yesterday. Where'd it come from??

We had plans to ride the Blackstar area, but heard it should be okay. Consensus?

There's definitely a lot of smoke and ash in the air in Riverside County.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah it sucks, had to skip SJT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you

We had plans to ride the Blackstar area, but heard it should be okay. Consensus?

We're also riding Blackstar tomorrow am. Right now, I'm looking out the window from my office in Anaheim and I can see the radio towers on Santiago mountain. I think it's Sierra Peak. It's pretty clear so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    I live in Silverado, and didn't see/smell any of the smoke this morning. I was planning on riding B-star in the morning, and will likely still head out there...of course, it's only a 5-minute ride from my house so it's not a huge time/travel commitment for me.

Might see y'all out there if you give it a go.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
    ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam
    I live in Silverado, and didn't see/smell any of the smoke this morning. I was planning on riding B-star in the morning, and will likely still head out there...of course, it's only a 5-minute ride from my house so it's not a huge time/travel commitment for me.

Might see y'all out there if you give it a go.
    Cool, thanks for the info. We'll be starting at the Silverado/Blackstar intersection at 8:30am.

----woof----
    I drove down to Aliso/Woods this morning and smelled the smoke and saw some ash floating around but rode anyways. I thought about not riding for 1/2 a second but already commuted from Westminster and wanted to break-in a new fork so I only went to TOW and back down. Didn't seem too bad once you got to the top of Cholla or maybe I was already used to the smell?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/
    "Do not touch the trim"

Sober for now...
    We had a ride planned for SJT-Chiquita on Sunday. Think this is a good/bad idea for Sun?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rivet - thanks!

The air has cleaned out a ton here in Temecula since this morning. I would probably guess that the air should be okay this weekend, assuming the fire doesn't get a lot worse. We've got the windows open tonight and no smoke smell (unless I'm used to it )

mtbr member

Air Q

I did a spin this afternoon at Aliso and Laguna Coast Wilderness. The skies didn't look too bad but once up on the ridges I was hacking pretty good.

Weigh your options carefully IMO

C

mtbr member
    i rode whiting last night and holy crap! i haven't hard such a hard time going up mustard since i first started riding. Definately a bad idea to ride in the area. Even this morning, i got off the freeway on the Bake exit and could see residual smoke and ash in the air.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    . I think the only safe bets are down in San Diego (Noble) or maybe up in the San Gabriel's (SART) for Sat. Hopefully, the fire may be controlled by Sunday with better air in the basin.
    OMR are you doing the S and M ride tomorrow? Should be fun! Ive never rode over there before. cya
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

nerfherder
    Rode Aliso with Dubjay this afternoon. It wasn't that bad. There was a nice wind coming in from the ocean. We'll see how the lungs are tomorrow. =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Looking at Corona and North OC from today, 10-28

From the top of Blackstar. Weather was warm, but the air was clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images