mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Afternoon near LAX -- Backbone?

I have an afternoon in LA this Sunday. My flight comes in at 11am, and I'm heading straight out to ride. I have until sunset. I've been to San Juan trail before, and wanted to try something new. I've been researching Backbone in Santa Monica NR. One thing that makes this attractive is the shuttle. If I screw up and miss half the trail, which I tend to do, I can take the shuttle back and try again.

My questions:

Is this a good use of my of time? I'm open to other suggestions.

Should I board the shuttle at Malibu Creek and get off at Backbone Kanan Rd?

I'm trying to maximize my time on the bike, so any sugggestions are welcome.

Anyone riding out there on Sun?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I should add in my riding preference here. I really like the "oh crap" factor. I'm not too humble to walk down anything, and I'm really happier to go back home (Ohio) and say "you wouldn't believe the crazy stuff people ride their bikes down" as opposed to riding some unremarkable trail that could be replicated and ridden by most anyone most anywhere in the US.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rturanc
    I have an afternoon in LA this Sunday. My flight comes in at 11am, and I'm heading straight out to ride. I have until sunset. I've been to San Juan trail before, and wanted to try something new. I've been researching Backbone in Santa Monica NR. One thing that makes this attractive is the shuttle. If I screw up and miss half the trail, which I tend to do, I can take the shuttle back and try again.

My questions:

Is this a good use of my of time? I'm open to other suggestions.

Should I board the shuttle at Malibu Creek and get off at Backbone Kanan Rd?

I'm trying to maximize my time on the bike, so any sugggestions are welcome.

Anyone riding out there on Sun?
    So are you planning to ride from Kanan (aka "thrid tunnel") to Malibu Creek? That would be a good ride. There are a number of routes you can take.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    The Backbone from Kanan to Coral Canyon would be a very nice ride. Beautiful and views of the ocean. You will understand why we pay stupid high prices for housing to live out here. There a certainly small sections of the trail that will challenge you skills. Check out a nice set of photos by Pacman on the Passion site, thread called Impy something or another. In between the photographed sections of trail is nicely buffed singletrack that is a joy to ride. The climb out of the Kanan parking lot is a hike (for me) to the top of the tunnel.

I usually do this ride as an out and back. The shuttle is new to me so I don't know where it will take you. I highly recommend riding the trail as an out and back. Each directions has its own challenges that should not be missed. This is one of the best trail in Los Angeles. Not the most technical but a REALLY nice ride.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I had the frame in one box, wheels in another box. Both were strapped to the back of the car on the way to the airport this morning. The box with the wheels flew off. After I finally realized about 10 miles down the road after some kids motioned to me and turned around to pick them up off the highway, I missed my flight. So, I sat at the airport for my four hours of ride time waiting for the next flight. Those wheels are toast.

Sheesh. What a nightmare.

I'm just happy it wasn't the box with the frame that fell off. I really don't know how it didn't fall off, actually.

I'm also happy it was the cheap wheelset and not my new Crossmax set.

I did make it up to Malibu for the sunset. It's beautiful up there. I'll definitely have to make it back up there with a bike next time.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Wow what a nightmare. Glad you got you wheels. Have a save trip.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity