Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    32

    Adventure Pass still needed to park?

    I'm planing on riding Sunset Ridge / El Prieto for the first time this weekend. Sunset / El Prieto via Millard Mountain Bike Trail, Altadena, CA says I need an Adventure Pass to park but a recent article in the LA Times suggests that I don't. Anybody know the currently rules?

    Judge rules against Forest Service fees in Southern California - LA Times

    Adventure Pass nixed for visitors who hike, bike into Southern California forests, judge rules

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tahoeyeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    215
    Just park at the bottom in the neighborhood on Alta Loma at Cheney Trail and ride up. If you're doing el P you will need to ride back up anyway, and this way you'll get it out of the way in the beginning of the ride instead of at the end when you're tired.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tahoeyeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    215
    At trailheads where you're supposed to have the pass, compliance seems to be 30-50% in my experience. I haven't seen any cars with tickets lately.

    Myself, I use the pass when necessary but for that ride I park at the bottom and ride up.

  4. #4
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,217
    NO.

    I spoke to a parks service employee about this a few weeks ago in Big Bear. The Adventure pass program has technically expired, but the parks service has not taken down any signage at sites or wording from the websites about it, and stores will still sell them to you.

    You might still need them to use picnic area's or some places that have actual facilities, but the overall feeling is the rangers are not bothering with tickets anymore, even for that.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  5. #5
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862
    If stores are still selling them and the website and signage has not been updated I smell a class action lawsuit. They better get their sh!t straight in sue happy cali.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    NO.

    I spoke to a parks service employee about this a few weeks ago in Big Bear. The Adventure pass program has technically expired, but the parks service has not taken down any signage at sites or wording from the websites about it, and stores will still sell them to you.

    You might still need them to use picnic area's or some places that have actual facilities, but the overall feeling is the rangers are not bothering with tickets anymore, even for that.

    That's good news, even though I still have a couple of valid passes. I just bought them to help the Forest Service out, but now that I think they have backed away from the issue of opening the PCT to bikes in non-wilderness sections, I'm not so charitably inclined.

    Besides, as a 'lifetime' disabled person, I could always just use my blue placard, and park about anywhere.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  7. #7
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,040
    I bought an annual pass and a second vehicle pass in June this year. They had better be good for one year from then.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  8. #8
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    That's good news, even though I still have a couple of valid passes. I just bought them to help the Forest Service out, but now that I think they have backed away from the issue of opening the PCT to bikes in non-wilderness sections, I'm not so charitably inclined.

    Besides, as a 'lifetime' disabled person, I could always just use my blue placard, and park about anywhere.
    Can I borrow your bluecard for a little while?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    278
    I was told that if the trail head had services like bathroom/tables etc.. that a pass was required. If it didn't they weren't needed.
    San Diego needs singletrack

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7
    Even if you do get a ticket, it's only $5 and they can't enforce it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    92
    adventure passes are still required in LPNF on Paradise Road in Santa Barbara County. "Adventure Pass Required" signs posted everywhere.

  12. #12
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by tarp43 View Post
    adventure passes are still required in LPNF on Paradise Road in Santa Barbara County. "Adventure Pass Required" signs posted everywhere.
    Please see my post up above:
    I spoke to a parks service employee about this a few weeks ago in Big Bear. The Adventure pass program has technically expired, but the parks service has not taken down any signage at sites or wording from the websites about it, and stores will still sell them to you.
    The signs don't mean anything right now.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tahoeyeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by nemnem View Post
    Even if you do get a ticket, it's only $5 and they can't enforce it.
    oh man, and I thought I was a lurker!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoeyeti View Post
    oh man, and I thought I was a lurker!


    I was waiting for my moment

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Econoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    368
    Adventure Pass was never really required to park, it's just a hollow threat. I've collected dozens of tickets over the years to no effect.

Similar Threads

  1. Pick up Adventure pass for San Juan Shuttle
    By Klurejr in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
  2. Adventure park over Labor Day weekend - pics
    By breckenridge in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
  3. Cunningham Park Oct 6th Outdoor Adventure
    By spartacus in forum New York
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 06:02 AM
  5. Adventure Pass R.I.P.
    By albeant in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •