mtb'er

Action Item: Save the Recreational Trails Program in CA from being axed

This is a super late announcement, but with a few clicks, you can hopefully make a difference. Please do your 5 minutes of advocacy by Friday, April 12th at Noon. Thanks

From IMBA:
    "Dear California Trail Advocacy Group:
    Quick action is needed to save the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) in California. Please complete this online form. The letters will stay open until noon Friday April 12. Current federal transportation law, gives governors the choice of opting out of RTP. Last fall, Governor Brown made the decision to remain in the program. This year, however, he proposes to consolidate a number of programs, including the Recreational Trails Program into one platform. If aggregated in this manner, the unique identity of the Recreational Trails Program will be compromised. The proposal as currently drafted will be a setback to recreational trails. And, an RTP loss in California will be a huge blow to RTP nationally. The Coalition for Recreational Trails including IMBA, is launching the California Campaign to Save Rec Trails. We need you to sign two letters. One to Governor Brown asking him to retain RTP. The second to California state senators and assembly members. The governorís consolidation plan must receive their approval for it to become law. Time is short; the Governorís plan is moving through the California legislature right now. Weíre on a 48-hour turn time line.

Thank you!"

If you aren't part of any organization, simply put "Self".

By filling out the form, you effectively sign both letters. Doooo it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Done....

b a n n e d
    Done.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Empty_Beer,
    Could you summarize what the RTP actually is? I clicked on the link. Found a bunch of obfuscating verbiage and a pdf of a powerpoint presentation. The images depicted ranged from two lane bike paths, atv trails, people in wheelchairs on paved bike paths... None of which really get me going; one shot of singletrack. Not that any of those things are bad.
    I fully support efforts to make the bicycle a more recognized means of transportation in terms of infrastructure and the publics opinion. However, I am weary of plans that might undermine the one type of cycling I like the most-MTBing. How would the RTP affect the creation of new and longevity of current technical trails? A number of nearby towns tout the miles of 'trails' they have. When in reality those trails are 8 foot wide DG stroller paths. Is there anything in RTP that might jeopardize trails that are true technical singletrack?

mtb'er
    ajdonner - I admit I'm passing along a message from folks who know a lot more than me about RTP. I also learned that this call for action is actually for advocacy organizations, not individuals. Doh! There will be a petition for individuals coming up.

With that said, RTP certainly does not focus on building epic singletrack, but mt. bikers are not left out of the big picture. If I have it correct, look at RTP as a funding source for IMBA affiliates who are seeking grant money for mtb specific projects (we're competing with cities and counties and other trail entities for $).

Here is a list of what RTP has funded in the past. A quick scroll through it shows me that RTP funding has certainly gone towards funding some MTB (multi-use) trails I utilize in NorCal... nothing epic, but some trail building, several bridge installations, etc. And while I don't rode ride, I will always advocate for more Class I and II bike paths.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1008/f...ort-9-2011.pdf