Over the Hill

Acorn Trail, Wrightwood

Has anyone rode Acorn Trail lately. If so, I have never been on it, is it rideable?

It is on Wright Mountain drops off Guffy Ridge into Camp Mariastella then into Wrightwood. Looking to find a ride out of the heat.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I ride it a few times a year. The most recent was in late Nov. of '06. It is ridable but quite technical, challenging and loads of fun! It's just over 2 miles, steep narrow, many sharp switchbacks, rocky and some serious exposure; no cliffs, just long slides down rocky slopes. I park in town and ride up hwy 2 and either take Blue Ridge Trail or Blue Ridge Road over to Acorn. It is a long loop (14 miles or so) with little singletrack unless some other longer options are taken. I've gone up the Acorn Trail once and had to walk most of the way. I've never done that again! Let me know when you can ride it and I'll join you if I can. I'm off for summer break (I'm a teacher) so I can go on most weekdays; which is better than weekends. It is a great trail that doesn't see much use.

Over the Hill
    That would be great if you came along.

When I ride up there I park at Big Pine and connect to Blue Ridge Fireroad by going on the service roads through Mt. High West.

Dean

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I am interested in this ride too. Set it up and I'll be there if i can too.

How about starting over at South Fork campground, jackson lake, blueridge and then riding up that way?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Go ahead and make the call dstepper! I have a pretty open schedule this time of year so just about any day will work for me. I rode in that area on the 4th with a friend. We started at Jackson Lake and did an old horse trail off Table mtn. on the ridge north of Hwy 2 across from Blue Ridge. We did the Faultline trail back to the lake; would have done more but my buddy was having a bad climbing day.

mtbski, I take it you mean to climb up Big Rock Creek road to hwy 2 at Vincent Gap (Mt. Baden Powell), up the FS road to one of the trails that drops down to Jackson, back up to 2, up BRT, over to Acorn, down to Wrightwood, back over to Vincent Gap and then down Manzanita Trail to Big Rock Creek rd at the campground. Wow! By my guesstamation that's about 35-40 miles depending on the options taken with 12 miles of singletrack; possibly more. I guess I'd be up for that but be aware that Manzanita is a mess! I like the trail but there a many washouts, scree slides over the trail and many branches and deadfall to deal with. I rode it about 2 weeks ago. The dirt part of Big Rock Creek road past Camp Fenner has been repaired (which I thought would never happen) so that climb is now easier. I've done all of those trails, just in smaller doses! Let's see what dstepper thinks.

Over the Hill
    dstepper thinks that you guys are masochists. What dstepper knows is that, that area is way steep and wears me out realy quick. I am looking for a 15-20 mile loop not a death march...well maybe in the fall/winter when it is cold out I could be talked into it.

I have lots of weekend trips planned and two weeks in Tahoe coming up soon. Let me see where this fits in.

Dean

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Maddog I was there a little over a month ago. We started our ride at 9:00am and it was hot on big rock creek road. The temps got a lot better after Vincent Gap. On the way back from BRT we caught the Jackson Lake Trail again and then from the Gap we went down Manzanita. Manzanita is really not that bad. I'd like to hit this next Saturday as I want to get another high elevation ride before heading up to the Tahoe gathering. If I get a local buddy to carpool with I'll do the ride and pm you with a meeting time. I want to get rolling no later than 8:00am because of the heat.

later

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Please note that I'm not real anxious to do the 35 miler either! Especially with at the most 12 miles of legal singletrack and a few miles of that is uphill! I could still be a masochist though!

I will do this trail on a weekday in the next week or so. The loop from town is only about 14 miles or so. I'll pm you and post it here to see if you can make it. If not, have fun on your weekend trips and at Tahoe. Let me know if you can fit this ride in and I'll try to ride with you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sure! Let me know when you go and I'll do the same for you.

Over the Hill
    Will do.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    OK guys! Here's your chance! I'm going to ride this loop from Wrightwood tomorrow, 7/17. Sorry for the short notice but I realized that this is the only day I could ride it for about 2 more weeks. Anyone who wants to come is welcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I usually start at the foot of Blue ridge trail and ride up Hwy 2 to Blue ridge road and then go as far as I feel and then come back down and hitting Blue ridge Trail. I have been out for a couple months and I am out of shape, came up short on a big step up I did not crash but still broke my elbow, and I am looking to get started again. It is the only trail I know up there, so riding with someone else on new trails would be cool. Let me know

mtbr member
    May 2005

Acorn trail location

I just rode from Jackson Lake up FS rode 3n06 to Inspiration Point then rode the FS road to Blue Ridge campground and continued on to Guffy campground. I rode around the campground hoping to find the Acorn trail because I've never rode it before. Found a section of PCT heading east-west. Didn't have time to explore because I had to be at work soon, so I headed back towards Blue Ridge trail and rode the trail down to Hwy 2 then rode the Faultline trail back to Jackson Lake
    Was I in the right area to ride Acorn trail? Did I need to go east further?

MADDOG I think I probably saw your tire marks there were some fresh ones there.

mtbr member
    Hey, how about some ride reports? Weather, temps, trail condition. Is it worth the drive from Santa Clarita?

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You were about 2 miles west of the Acorn Trail. The PCT does intersect the Acorn but of course bikes are not allowed on the PCT. To get to Acorn the legal way from Guffy, go back to the FS road (Blue Ridge Road) and take a left. At the next FS road junction, go left again staying on 3N06. DO NOT go right on 3N39! This is a dead end that drops way down to the start of the San Gabriel river and is a brutal climb back out! After about a mile on 3N06, the road curves right and climbs slightly. To your left on the outside of this curve, you can see the PCT next to the road. Look a bit farther to the right and you will see the Acorn trail heading north from the PCT. There is usually a sign there but you never know if it will stay. Last week, there was also a big rock pile (cairn) with a branch stuck in the top on the side of the road near the trail junction. If you get to the big earthquake fault/lanslide area next to the road, you have gone too far. Let me know when you can ride it and I'll try to ride with you.

I rode up there over a week ago so those tracks may have been from someone else. If they were mine, it shows how little traffic that area gets so me, you and Wolfdog have got to go riding up there! Especially since were all high desert dwellers! I am running out of summer fast (1st day 8/13) so let me know when any of you can go. I'll post when I can ride there too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes it is worth the drive from Santa Clarita! If I can ride with you, we could meet at the Angeles Forest park and ride so you don't have to drive the whole way!

Here's a ride report: Temp in Wrightwood mid 70's at start (10:00a.m.) high 80's at the end. Up on Blue Ridge mid to high 70's with a nice breeze.
    Up hwy 2 to Blue Ridge Road then over to Acorn. Going up the Blue Ridge Trail is 1.7 miles shorter than what I did.

The trail was in excellent shape last Tuesday. Dry but not very dusty due to mostly rocky or hard pack trail. Still very narrow. A log had fallen over one switchback. Hikers had made a horrible cut around it but using a big branch as a lever, I successfully moved the log off the trail to restore the original switchback. There are a few 6-10 inch drops over roots and rocks but the steepness, narrowness and exposure are the main challenges of this trail. This is an excellent trail. Every time I ride it I wonder why I don't ride it more often.

The loop I rode on the 17th was almost 18 miles but there are shorter and longer options.
    I'll post here and on Clip'd In the next time I go but let me know when you want to go and I'll try to join you.