Thread: 7 stitches

"so pitted"

7 stitches

Riding Aliso this past Monday my buddy and I hit 5 Oaks, made our way to Cholla (spelling?) and then descended Stairstep. After hiking back up and throwing high-fives I suggested we do some thing with a little more flow and hit RockIt to Coyote. Feeling great after 5Oaks and Stairstep, I decided to charge it a bit. Bopping off rocks, hitting turns and then when I went to just pull a little bunny hop over a stretch of rocks my foot slipped off and the pedal came right around and hit my shin. I thought...no biggie..it stung but I felt fine. Then in one turn I caught a glimpse of my leg and it was covered in blood. I thought maybe I can butterfly this bad boy but my buddy just shook his head in a manner that said "Nah dude, you need stitches".

So here I am, 7 stitches later and was wondering what my fellow SoCal Pedal Brethren use to protect their shins. I already rock Fox Launch Pro Knee pads. I'm thinking soccer shin guards but I'm curious what you all might be rocking out there in our lovely SoCal conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crza

So here I am, 7 stitches later and was wondering what my fellow SoCal Pedal Brethren use to protect their shins.

Scar tissue......layers and layers of scar tissue.

beer is good for u
    clip-in's for me...

back in the days of bmx it was scar tissue as posted above though

I'm your density
    There's a thread on dirttreaders where some folks rode Palm Canyon at night a couple weeks ago. One of them forgot his pads and duct-taped stacks of phone book pages to his shins.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    SPD pedals and you won't get wacked.

Best, John

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crza

So here I am, 7 stitches later
    7? that hardly counts as a wound! superglue and a butterfly and call it good!

last time I went to Urgent Care for MTB induced stitches it took 11 internal and 21 external to sew up my knee. I thought about just using a band-aid but then I realized I could see my patella and figured i'd need something a bit stronger...........

still don't wear pads though. as another poster suggested, I'm know just using the scar tissue and the fact that I have nerve damage and can't feel anything on my knee in the area surrounding my old wound as protection!

good luck.

YR

"so pitted"
    Been riding clips for many-many moons but just switched to flats. You dudes are right about clips..never had this issue. I'm rolling with the duct tape phone book idea and I'm now thinking the scar tissue idea might work in place of a helmet according to the logic in this thread. (cue Theme song from Conan the Barbarian)

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=The Crza]I'm now thinking the scar tissue idea might work in place of a helmet according to the logic in this thread. (cue Theme song from Conan the Barbarian)

QUOTE]

You are EXACTLY right!

Concussions are like calluses.

You just need to layer one right on top of another and you'll soon build up an overall resistance to head trauma.

"so pitted"
    haha..best quote eva'

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The old Race Face roach shin,knee/guards. If you can still find them these are the best, golden. Covers your whole shin and knee and they protect very well, have fallen many times and have had the peddles bash them and still walk away without a scratch.