Thread: 5 bucks

Samsonite Tester

5 bucks

If there was a MTB only area 100 miles or less from your home and you had to pay 5 bucks a use , would you use it ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    If there was a MTB only area 100 miles or less from your home and you had to pay 5 bucks a use , would you use it ?
    100 miles? Probably wouldn't make a special trip very regularly. But if the place was nice and the 5 clams went to good use, then yes, I'd spend $5. Cheaper than a movie ticket or gym dues.

mtbr member
    All the state parks are currently 5 bucks, up 2 bucks from the beginning of the year. Heres the kicker, its going up to 10 bucks a visit july 1st. If you ride alot you should get a year pass before it goes up.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    All the state parks are currently 5 bucks, up 2 bucks from the beginning of the year. Heres the kicker, its going up to 10 bucks a visit july 1st. If you ride alot you should get a year pass before it goes up.

wayne
    I am tyrying to see if riders will come to a MTB ONLY park. I have been building trails on private land . The owner wants a MTB only park. Which means no hikers , no equestrian and no speedlimits. There will be a XC race series to start and DH and 4X to come. If people won't be intersested then I am wasting effort in the wrong place.

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Ah, I see. To be honest I probably wouldnt, but thats not to say others wouldnt. The furthest I drive is to Big Bear which is about and hour and half away and thats to ride ski runs, what kind of park are you talking about? Groomed course like or private land singletrack?

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

PITY THE FOOL!

If it was well done I'd be there once a month for 5 bucks. I'd expect some nice single track both up and down, some freeride stunts and some downhill only trails. Basically a mix of everything.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by troy
    If it was well done I'd be there once a month for 5 bucks. I'd expect some nice single track both up and down, some freeride stunts and some downhill only trails. Basically a mix of everything.
    On the way . Will keep you posted.

If you have to ask...

It depends on where it is.

Within 100 miles of where I live are plenty of crappy places as well as good ones. If the MTB Only park were in, say, El Centro you would have a very difficult time to get me to go there. However, if it were in Southern OC, I could live with that.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Just Grin and HUCK it...

It is possible...

I would consider it, but it would depend on the amount of cyclists allowed in at one time. Depending on the size of the park, it could get pretty crowded. Then there might be the issue of making sure the downhillers stay on the downhill trails and the XCrs stay on the XC trails and they don't get in each other's way.

I know there's been some discussion about such a park in the OC. I am looking forward to hearing more about it, seeing as though this OC park would be just a few miles from my house.

KRSD (Keep the Rubber Side Down)
    MCM# 2007.1

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am tyrying to see if riders will come to a MTB ONLY park. I have been building trails on private land . The owner wants a MTB only park. Which means no hikers , no equestrian and no speedlimits. There will be a XC race series to start and DH and 4X to come. If people won't be intersested then I am wasting effort in the wrong place.

EK, Chris Vargas (the Warrior's Sociey) and Dan Dulac are trying to do the same thing you are, back in Baker Canyon. If you are looking at doing a secondary park, I din't know if either would succeed as the market can only bear so much.

What area is yours in?

Also, if you did free ride stunts and wooden ramps, stunts and such, you might be able to get a different crowd and stablize the business.

Pro Crastinator
    I'D HIT IT!

(always helping out those who help promote the sport )

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by g c
    EK, Chris Vargas (the Warrior's Sociey) and Dan Dulac are trying to do the same thing you are, back in Baker Canyon. If you are looking at doing a secondary park, I din't know if either would succeed as the market can only bear so much.

What area is yours in?

Also, if you did free ride stunts and wooden ramps, stunts and such, you might be able to get a different crowd and stablize the business.
    That is the one , Grant. I was trying to guage the responses. Name dropping and identifiing the location doesn't seem right before a green light is given. I wish them the best of luck and give them labor to make it happen. The responses are what I am interested in. My perception is DH ,ramps and stunts should suplement the XC racing. The fireroad climb may be the deal breaker, some want a single track. The place could be soup given time it could be some tastey stew.

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That is the one , Grant. I was trying to guage the responses. Name dropping and identifiing the location doesn't seem right before a green light is given. I wish them the best of luck and give them labor to make it happen. The responses are what I am interested in. My perception is DH ,ramps and stunts should suplement the XC racing. The fireroad climb may be the deal breaker, some want a single track. The place could be soup given time it could be some tastey stew.
    Sorry, I was unaware that the green light hadn't been given as I am not in that loop these days. My bad. However, I think there has been enough email and board (socalmtb) pub about it that the kitty is pretty much out of the sack.

I would agree that stunts would make it more of a destination than XC racing these days, but I am no expert by any stretch.

Good luck with it!

You Are What You Is
    I'd definitely go if it were more freeride oriented (ladders, drops, teeter-totters, etc.). I have plenty of good XC trails near me already. I think you'd have no problem attracting tons of riders from the LA, OC and even SD area if it were a freeride park.

on a routine expedition

sounds good

I'd be there once a month, at the least.

eat my pantaloons

I agree...

A Freeride Park is the way to go because there's nothing like that around here. $5 is cheap. I used to live in TX and private XC trails and state parks costs $6 to get in.

Also check out what they're doing with the new Mt. Diablo Freeride Park in NJ - I think they're charging a lot more, like closer to ski lift ticket prices. They also offer season passes.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    I'd definitely go if it were more freeride oriented (ladders, drops, teeter-totters, etc.). I have plenty of good XC trails near me already. I think you'd have no problem attracting tons of riders from the LA, OC and even SD area if it were a freeride park.