Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

30 Haro demo bikes stolen

Hey SoCal gang,

Over the weekend (9/29-9/30), our trailer and rental Penske van were broken into while parked here at our Vista headquarters. About 30 used mountain bikes were stolen that were used at Interbike On Dirt Demo last week. Whatever dirt bags did this knew that there were bikes back there since our gates are locked. They also cherry picked, leaving a few single speed rigid 29ers behind.

Anyhow, it's sort of pointless to give a complete list with sizes, but here's sort of the run down:

4 Werx Sonix (crema color)
    1 Sonix LT (Grey)
    5 Sonix S (copper)
    4 Werx Xeons (Pearl White...2 have 650b wheels)
    4 Xeon S (Grey)
    3 Mary SS 29er (1 ginger, 1 lt blue, 1 green)
    5 Mary XC 29er (4 tangerine, 1 green)
    1 Thread One (green/black fade)
    1 Flightline Expert (cream color)
    1 alloy 29er hardtail prototype; black with green graphics, green RST M29 fork
    1 Masi CXR cross bike (my personal bike)

If anyone has any information or sees Haro bikes listed anywhere, please let me know right away. Please spread the word. I can be reached via PM here, or at 800-289-4276.

Thanks guys. This is a truly heartbreaking morning for us.

banned
    I think you should send this post to Gregg and Francois as an announcement of some sort.

A theft of this scale needs to be announced more widely. Serial numbers, should you have them, should be thrown around and ebay and craigslist be put on watch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    can you also post this at socaltrailriders.org? also do you have any pics?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    never mind, i already posted

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Whatever dirt bags did this knew that there were bikes back there since our gates are locked. They also cherry picked, leaving a few single speed rigid 29ers behind.
    Sounds like an "inside job", might want to have a look at suspicious employees.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Stray Bullet
    Didn't this happen last year too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Sounds like an "inside job", might want to have a look at suspicious employees.
    We actually have a little bit of a lead on this now...not an employee. If it pans out, I'll let everyone know. It will make for a good story!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Didn't this happen last year too?
    We've had bikes stolen from our booth at Interbike for the past 3 years in a row. This is the first time they have hit us here at home.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Jill, I hope you guys nail the SOB(s)!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

ICPAYDIRT

damn theives!

Who does something like this? Terrible. I posted the news to some riding groups to keep their eyes and ears open. Was the loss insured?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think this is a marketing ploy to get people to think that there bikes are so great that not only are they stolen but they are stolen every year!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bummer about the bike theft, Jill.

It's not horribly surprising that small quantities of bikes are stolen at Interbike. It's chaotic and you have many many people walking around with bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPAYDIRT
    Who does something like this? Terrible. I posted the news to some riding groups to keep their eyes and ears open. Was the loss insured?
    Yes, insured. It still leaves us without demo bikes for a little while. We were planning on attending the Southridge/Fontana consumer demo day next weekend, but I don't think that's going to happen now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    I think this is a marketing ploy to get people to think that there bikes are so great that not only are they stolen but they are stolen every year!
    LOL! I wish that was the case! It would be a really expensive ploy...it was about $70K at retail. Ouch!

mtbr member
    LOL! I wish that was the case! It would be a really expensive ploy...it was about $70K at retail. Ouch!
    I hope you don't pay retail

Obviously they're going to try to sell them. Watch Craigslist (all of them you can) and eBay.
    To the troll mobile, away...

banned
    I still can't believe the number of bikes stolen. It seems unreal and as if this was a cased out job.

just along for the ride
    Lets see van and rental rig broken into in LA, yawn is this news or another insurance claim? Go for the claim running after shadows just is not productive, good luck!

mtbcat.
    May 2006

homer's

I can see it now ill trade you 30 haro's for one turner. let us know if you get the perps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We've had bikes stolen from our booth at Interbike for the past 3 years in a row. This is the first time they have hit us here at home.
    Bummer. I hope you catch the thieves.

But even if you do, think about whether it could happen again. Word gets around, and other unsavory folks probably know where you are. I live not too far from a computer hardware company that had repeated theft incidents from their loading dock until they implemented a series of security upgrades.

Lord of the Chainrings

Related Incident?

September 18, 2007
    Coronado pursuit ends at border

Coronado police pursued a van across the bay bridge and south on Interstate 5 nearly to the border, where the driver was arrested and the van was found full of bicycles Tuesday night.

A resident asked police to check on the van at Third Street and Palm Avenue, a Coronado police dispatcher said. The driver did not pull over for an officer and a pursuit began at 11:16 p.m.

The van headed east on the San Diego Coronado Bridge, then south on I-5 to the last exit before crossing into Mexico. Police had spike strips ready, but it wasn't clear if that's what stopped the van. The driver was taken into custody about 11:30 p.m.

A police dispatcher said the van was full of bikes and that the city has had several recent reports of stolen bicycles.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/new..._at_borde.html
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    WOW, again! Whats in those Haro bikes that make dirtbags want to peel them three years in a row and now at the headquarters? I say use this whole episode in your next marketing campaign.
    Mike.

ridin' Mary
    New marketing campaign: "Ride it like you stole it".

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    September 18, 2007
    Coronado pursuit ends at border

Coronado police pursued a van across the bay bridge and south on Interstate 5 nearly to the border, where the driver was arrested and the van was found full of bicycles Tuesday night.

A resident asked police to check on the van at Third Street and Palm Avenue, a Coronado police dispatcher said. The driver did not pull over for an officer and a pursuit began at 11:16 p.m.

The van headed east on the San Diego Coronado Bridge, then south on I-5 to the last exit before crossing into Mexico. Police had spike strips ready, but it wasn't clear if that's what stopped the van. The driver was taken into custody about 11:30 p.m.

A police dispatcher said the van was full of bikes and that the city has had several recent reports of stolen bicycles.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/new..._at_borde.html
    Hmmm so any word on if this was the load of bikes in question?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Hmmm so any word on if this was the load of bikes in question?
    It happened before the theft.

Trying a little

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast