Welcome to the Gem...

29er tires in SD...

i searched... most of the stuff i found was 26er specific.

i'm finding the mountain kings i have, have way too much rolling resistance, and actually don't grip all that great.

i have to get some new tires, and i've been doing quite a bit of research. i ride SS/rigid, so i need a cushy tire up front. i'm thinking weirwolf up front, exiwolf in the rear. yes? both weirwolves? i've heard good things about the rampages, but something is keeping me away from them.

thoughts, comments? i appreciate the help, guys.

cheers
    2008 JabberWocky
    Chubs... Carbon... Good...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    you may want to check out this 29er tire thread from STR:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...re-combos.html

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I think the Rampage would make a great front tire. I am using it on the front of my Niner and like it.

Working Man's Toilet
    I have run exiwolfs on my ventana el cap for the last year in SD thought they were OK- changed to nevegals a few weeks ago and they rock, much better traction/hook-up- but obviously have a higher rolling resistance.
    I run maxxis ignitors on my Niner SS- the are great- no complaints, but no fully rigid- have a maverick SC32 up front.

Birthday Collector
    Mallanga, I rode SD for 20+ years with much of it rigid (before suspension...). With the loose, rocky terrain there, I would stick with a more agressive tire up front (where it won't affect rolling resistance as much) and go with something with more biting edges on the rear. I like the Exi on the rear a lot, here in NorCal, in CO and in UT as well as some Tahoe area riding and in Phoenix too. The last two locations are realistically more like the SD terrain in the Lagunas and the East County/Desert terrain. Ignitor rolls well, and also hooks up in climbing traction well, not too impressed with it for braking into turns on loose-over-hardpack though. Same thing with the Michelin AT2 tire on the back. If the Conti works for you on the front, you might try the Exi, or a Small Block 8 on back - both roll pretty fast and grip well. For trail riding on an SS, I don't find I need a low-resistance tire up front as much as on the rear. Makes a big difference to me there. I have not ridden the Rampage yet, but from what I hear it would be a great front tire for the conditions there. Same with the Nevegal up front - but I'd bet the Panaracer will last longer.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like the Panaracer Rampage up front with Nevegal in the back. I hear the Small Block 8 is also a good tire for the back for sandy conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I run an Ignitor in the front, and a Crossmark in the rear. I use this combo on both of my Vassago's.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqo
    I like the Panaracer Rampage up front with Nevegal in the back.
    Exactly what I am running right now - great combo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    Exactly what I am running right now - great combo
    Nevegal/Rampage combo is excellent, both tires are cushy and super grippy. Maxxis Ignitors had good traction for how fast they were. The Exi's were just too heavy for what they offered.