mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! 24hrs at Temecula

Anyone racing out at Vail Lake in Temecula? I heard they changed the entire course. Hopefully that is a good thing. What was up with the old course? Good Bad or just OK?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

they didn't change

Quote Originally Posted by INTENSITY
    Anyone racing out at Vail Lake in Temecula? I heard they changed the entire course. Hopefully that is a good thing. What was up with the old course? Good Bad or just OK?
    the entire course, just a few sections of it. they took out one very fun and scary DH in favor of another less scary but allegedly just as fun DH. there also is about a mile of new ST this year that has been carved. The "new" course is about 1 mile shorter and has about 600 feet less climbing than the old course.

The old course was fun but very much a climbers course. the first 3 miles were mostly FR with about 1,000 feet of climbing. a lot of the course is ridgeline riding so the climbs are short but very steep. there's a painful hike a bike section in the middle and just when your legs start to burn you have to mount back up and do another 3/4 mile of ridgeline riding up some short steep sections.

the downhills were pretty demanding in that they required decent skill to descend at speed. a lot of people walked a few sections of the DH.

it's fun but a very difficult course given it's length.

YR

mtbr member

I just moved to Murrieta

I just moved to Murrieta, I heard about the 24h race before when and where does it take place? Is there any other trails close to Temecula besides Santa Rosa?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

the Temecula race

Quote Originally Posted by Festusjrf
    I just moved to Murrieta, I heard about the 24h race before when and where does it take place? Is there any other trails close to Temecula besides Santa Rosa?
    takes place at Vail Lake resort in Temecula. the resort is private so access can be an issue during non-race weekends. I've only ever ridden the area for the race so I don't know about getting on at other times. teh entire course is not on the resort property so I'm sure there are ways in but I don't know the area well enough.

mtbr member

Vail Lake - Trails

WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF REVAMPING THE TRAIL SYSTEM AT VAIL LAKE. WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THE TRAILS FOR THE 24HR EVENT FOR THE LAST MONTH. THE RAINS REALLY PLAYED HAVOC ON THE TRAILS. THE 24HR COURSE HAS BEEN MODIFIED. THE INITIAL FIREROAD AND UHILL CLIMB IS STILL INPLACE. DRAGOINS BACK, WHICH WAS A TECHY HARD DOWNHILL HAS BEEN ELIMINATED AND THE TUNNELL OF LOVE HAS BEEN ELIMINATED. BOTH DUE TO THE RUTS AND DEEP SAND. BUT WE NOW ADDED ANOTHER FUN RIDGELINE DOWNHILL AND ABOUT A MILE OF EXTRA SINGLETRACK. THE COURSE ITSELF IS LOOKING GREAT. WE WILL BE HAVING A TRAIL MAINTENANCE WEEKEND ON APRIL 9-10. IF ANY ONE WANTS TO GET INVOLVED EMAIL ME. jranoa@adelphia.net.
    ALSO VAIL LAKE IS OPEN TO RIDERS WHO WANT TO RIDE OUT THERE. THEY ARE CHARGING A FEE FOR PARKING BUT YOU CAN RIDE ALL DAY. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF DEVELOPING A HUGE TRAIL SYSTEM OUT AT VAIL LAKE. VAIL LAKE WANTS TO MAKE THE ULTIMATE SOCAL MOUNTAIN BIKE DESTINATION. WE WILL HAVE ALL DIFERENT LEVELS OF TARIL RIDING AT VAIL. FOR MORE INFO JUST EMAIL ME.
    JASON RANOA JRANOA@ADELPHIA.NET

mtbr member

Vail Lake open for riding?

I'm stoked. I always thought the area was closed to riding outside of events. If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds like we can ride year round. Vail Lake is a nice and casual campground with great facilities, like a pool and bar. I can't wait to stay, play, and ride.

I'll be on a 4 man team for the 24 hour race, Coates Csycos. Looking forward to the new course, should be fun.

mtbr member

Good job! Vail Lake Open To Mtb

Yes !!!!!! Vail Lake Is Open Year Round Now To Bike. The Resort Has Close To 10,000 Acres Of Rideable Terrain. We Are Developing The Trail System For All Skill Levels. Within Six Months We Will Have A System In Place And Marked. Plus We Will Be Working On A Skills Course To Include Some Planks And Manmade Obstacles. Plus A Downhill Section Of The Resort. Of Course Youll Have To Ride To Get There Until We Finalize The Transport Issue. But Hey We Will Finnally Have Our Own Mountain Bike Resort Park Here Is Socal. Its About Time. After All This Is Where It All Started. By The Way The 24hr Course Is Going To Be Great! Challenging And Alot Of Fun!!!
    See You There!!! :d