Baby-heads.... oh joy!

2 month break...

Well, yesterday was my first ride in 2 months due to a broken leg. It was a fast, short 7 mile ride to see what has gone south on me. Grrr.....lungs, legs, minor leg cramps this morning. Funny, it's been awhile since I've had to take time off from riding, so I totally forgot how quickly one can and will lose cardio, and a bit-o-leg strength. Last time was back in '98 when I jacked up the same leg, not broken that time, miniscal (sp) tear. Oh well, I am totally stoked to be back, I was starting to become a grouch without my regular dirt fix. Wifey noticed a marked improvemnt in my attitude immediatly upon my return home post ride. One thing's for sure, the bike has not been so clean and prepared, lubed, checked, rechecked, relubed, dusted, recleaned, gauked at since it's origional build. So it was ready for the trails, it begged to be loaded into the truck, and hastily driven to the trail-head, it urged to hop over ruts, it was wanton for a little lip action, and of course was rewarded with such. It climbed, clawed, railed, and screamed as I gave it the pleasure it so patiently waited for. Upon sight of the end of the trail with a heavy heart my bike rewarded me with the sweet buzzing sound of contentment from its rear hub.....
    today's another glorious day to enlighten the soul of myself and my ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    jealousy...I am out 12 more weeks if surgery works or 18 weeks if it doesn't work first time.....congrats to you...wish i was riding
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Da-Sloth
    Well, yesterday was my first ride in 2 months due to a broken leg..... So it was ready for the trails, it begged to be loaded into the truck, and hastily driven to the trail-head, it urged to hop over ruts, it was wanton for a little lip action, and of course was rewarded with such. It climbed, clawed, railed, and screamed as I gave it the pleasure it so patiently waited for. Upon sight of the end of the trail with a heavy heart my bike rewarded me with the sweet buzzing sound of contentment from its rear hub.....
    today's another glorious day to enlighten the soul of myself and my ride.
    Congrats on leaving the injured reserve list! Pretty quick recovery there - only 2 months? You must be tough.
    Love, Impy

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Congrats on leaving the injured reserve list! Pretty quick recovery there - only 2 months? You must be tough.
    Interesting thing it is Impy...it took the Doc a little over 3 1/2 weeks to get the right diagnosis...initial x-ray ordered was wrong x-ray.(how the frig does that happen?) and then another two weeks later I finally get in for an MRI..funny, doc calls up and says he needs me to go to the orthopaedic sugeon urgently......hey!!! isn't that what I was tellin' him almost a month ago? So for a couple weeks I was actually riding on while it was fractured. Oops. And then I didn't even get crutches until after the visit with ortho, the truely amazing thing is, there was nothing they could do this late into the healing, so gave me a brace to wear, that actually made my knee feel loose when I took it off. Sub-Acute fracture of the tibial plateau...still a little wierd feeling, but seems good enough to ride. Trying not to be upset, I mean, I'm the one that fractured my leg, not their fault for that. But the lack of urgency, back-tracking, and non-chalant attitude has been unnerving.
    Oh well...it's better now...I think mostly.

I <3 Dirt
    But the lack of urgency, back-tracking, and non-chalant attitude has been unnerving.
    Do you have Kaiser Permanante?

Believer in Darwin
    Good to hear you are back on the trails. Broke my leg in May and it was a looooong 2 months of no dirt.
    Enjoy and ease into it.
    paz afuera

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Do you have Kaiser Permanante?
    No actually...Sharp Mission Medical
    When I called my insurance carrier, and complained, it at first seemed futile. After my MRI though, my carrier, my doc, and everyone else was now urgently helpfull....interesting

I <3 Dirt
    No actually...Sharp Mission Medical
    When I called my insurance carrier, and complained, it at first seemed futile. After my MRI though, my carrier, my doc, and everyone else was now urgently helpfull....interesting
    Hmm. Glad they were responsive post diagnosis, but that sucks about the delay due to their lax response. I've never had problems with sharp.

I had arthroscopic surgery last year after a nasty knee injury. I hope you recover soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ahhh, I know how you feel. I just got back on the bike last week after a 2-month hiatus (torn MCL-meniscus). Had been riding a stationary bike for rehab, but it was sooo nice to be back in the dirt, even though I still had to take it easy. Just cardio and rehab runs up Black Mountain is SD, very short, but working my lungs back moving up the rings, down the cogs.

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Youch..torn mcl & miniscus...painfull indeed, did you have steroid injections for it?
    My wife tore her ACL in June and had a it repaired in early July. She just finished her physical therapy about a week and a half ago. Visited the surgeon last week, and she is allowed to go to spin classes, just not any weight lifting or running or mt biking until January...to ensure the graft does not stretch.
    As far as my fracture, I can ride, but I can't run yet, maybe another month and a half or so for that....I hope your miniscus and mcl heal up well for a healthy long lasting recovery, as those are injuries that can come back and haunt you for a long time if not treated and followed by a proper therapy session(s).
    Thanks for all your kind words, and lets keep the rubber side down, see ya'all out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Youch..torn mcl & miniscus...painfull indeed, did you have steroid injections for it?
    My wife tore her ACL in June and had a it repaired in early July. She just finished her physical therapy about a week and a half ago. Visited the surgeon last week, and she is allowed to go to spin classes, just not any weight lifting or running or mt biking until January...to ensure the graft does not stretch.
    As far as my fracture, I can ride, but I can't run yet, maybe another month and a half or so for that....I hope your miniscus and mcl heal up well for a healthy long lasting recovery, as those are injuries that can come back and haunt you for a long time if not treated and followed by a proper therapy session(s).
    Thanks for all your kind words, and lets keep the rubber side down, see ya'all out on the trails.

No "roids", just Ibuprofen and rehab. I tore my ACL about 13 years ago, leg is better than new. My MCL, while requiring no surgery, seems to be a much more painful recovery than the ACL which was a patella tendon graft. Weird how the body heals.

Good luck to you and your wife!!!

Lord of the Chainrings
    Welcome back to the dirt/mud/dust/rock/crash club!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Welcome back to the dirt/mud/dust/rock/crash club!
    Thanks Mudd!!