Unshaven Yak

1st Rain of the season!

I'm really looking forward to the 1st rain of the season, due this evening & over the next few days here in Santa Barbara. That should pack down the dust a bit & change things up just enough to make the local trails just a little bit more intersesting after a long beautiful summer. I'm gonna get in one last dry ride before it hits, then if it's not coming down too hard tomorrow, I'm gonna try for a rain ride! Time to mount up the Timberwolf baby yeah!!

So much for the same old, same old!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Man, are you sure you want to ruin the trails?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    I'm really looking forward to the 1st rain of the season, due this evening & over the next few days here in Santa Barbara. That should pack down the dust a bit & change things up just enough to make the local trails just a little bit more intersesting after a long beautiful summer. I'm gonna get in one last dry ride before it hits, then if it's not coming down too hard tomorrow, I'm gonna try for a rain ride! Time to mount up the Timberwolf baby yeah!!

So much for the same old, same old!
    Just a recent SoCa transplant, but aren't you worried about ruining the trails riding in the rain? I'm not some envirnemental wacko, but I have seen what purposely riding in wet weather can do trails. Just my 2 cents

Unshaven Yak
    In a word? No. This rain isn't supposed to be much & it won't have sunk in yet by the time I hit it. I'm not a slider & stay away from established ruts. Plus the trail I'm thinking of handles it really well & it's tree cover won't allow much to hit the actual trail. I think it just should bring the dust level down to a controllable level.

I am generally concerned about such things, but not this time. I've waited too long for this. After a downpour is different, thats when things get sticky & you can tear up the trail by riding in those conditions. Besides, judging from the radar, it may not happen at all.

mtbr member
    Me neither. Riding after a rain is the best time. The ground packs down, rolls WAY faster downhill, tons of traction up hill and in the turns, and no dust. Love it.

I don't really care what happens to the trails I ride on because of it either. I ride in an OHV/ATV area, and there's NOTHING I could do on my MTB in a year that a Moto can't do in one climb up a hill as far as rutting and damage is concerned. What I hate is when there's a long spell between rains, and all the moto's pulverize the desert soil into fine silt that's a pain to pedal through.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Its about time it finally rained.....riding in 3 inches of sand is fun for only so long

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by fantom1
    Its about time it finally rained.....riding in 3 inches of sand is fun for only so long
    Haha, I hear that!

ride hard

fun!!!

i just got back from a rain ride today!!! sooo much fun!!! mud everywhere, slick, really fun to watch my dumb friend slide and crash everywhere.
    [SIZE=4]Live to Ride, Ride to live[/SIZE]

Ya, right.
    I myself can't wait til it passes. I haven't been on a ride in 4 days thanks to all this rain. This is SoCal--it isn't supposed to rain here This is the desert after all. I can't wait until it's 90 degrees outside and dusty and dry as can be.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.