ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

11/21 1PM MTRP task force meeting, MTRP visitors center

If you're unhappy with the recent closure of trails, you're unhappy with MTRP in general. People have ridden in east elliott for years because of the lack of quality, sustainable trails in the park itself.

Please consider dropping by the MTRP task force meeting on 11/21 at 1PM at the visitors center and expressing your concerns. Yeah it sucks, it's a work day and most cannot make it however, in the description below, the task force members are listed, consider dropping an email and respectfully voicing your concerns to the official that is closest to your community. If you need assistance acquiring an email for the member you would like to contact, Google is your best friend.

The following provides the priorities and future needs, I'm sure your priorities as a park user and their priorities probably differ.

http://www.mtrp.org/assets/files/cac...830_251294.pdf

The task force is described as the following:

"In 1977, as the result of a joint meeting of the City Council and County Board of Supervisors which was held to discuss the park's draft master plan, the Mission Trails Regional Park Task Force was created to facilitate inter-agency cooperation and cooperation in the implementation of the park's master development plan. The Task Force, which now consists of elected officials and the chair of the Citizens' Advisory Committee, does not exercise any legislative or fiscal power, but is advisory to both the City Council and the County Board of Supervisors. The Task Force's purpose as set forth in the Council Resolution which established it, "is to advise the various public bodies on matters relating to the development of the regional park."

The Task Force is chaired by City of San Diego Councilmember Scott Sherman. Other members include Councilmember Mark Kersey, City of San Diego; Councilmember Rob McNelis with John Ryan as alternate, City of Santee; Vice Mayor Kristine Alessio, City of La Mesa; Supervisor Dianne Jacob, County of San Diego; Supervisor Dave Roberts (Vice Chair), County of San Diego; Dorothy Leonard, Citizens' Advisory Committee Chair. "

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How conveinent that they schedule it on a Thursday at 1pm. Not many people will be able to attend that.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I will be there. Thank you for posting this up.

Can't tell you how happy I am that the equestrian picnic area has taken a #1 priority @ mulit $100 thousand dollars? Proportionally, just how large of an equestrian usage does the park see? I guess than means we will get MILLIONS spent on us, proportionally speaking, right?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think the trail users need to use SDMBA as the hub, so we are all on the same page, and know all the facts. With all our ducks in a row the trail users can have a huge impact. SDMBA can provide good direction going forward. They are working with IMBA on this issue. We need to time the impact and hit the City all at once. Flood the phone line, Flood the Mail boxes. I think the SDMBA meeting is more important to attend.

Wednesday, November 20 2013, 7:00pm - 9:30pm

Mission Trails Regional Park
    One Father Junipero Serra Trail
    San Diego, CA 92119-1008

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Meeting is canceled.

They are trying to reschedule for Dec 12.

**EDIT***

Mission Trails Meeting is canceled, not SDMBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So, are we to understand that further shutdowns/enforcements of shutdowns in East Elliot will not occur until said rescheduling? Or will that all be made clear(-ish) on Wednesday's evening meeting?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Dreamer! The closures are in full swing regardless of the meeting dates. I don't know if they are actively ticketing yet but my money is on it will happen regardless of the SDMBA meeting. Remember, SDMBA only meets at the visitor center and are not the policy makers.

Go to the Wednesday meeting if you can. Lot of good information will be shared along with some strategy, I imagine.

mtbr member
    According to a conversation I had yesterday with Ranger Mika, the shutdowns will continue. Trails to be shut down first will be limited to those that have been built since 2010 - Deer Dancer, Grassy Knoll, Teote (just the upper part), maybe a few other connectors. Not on their "immediate shutdown" list are L1, 3 Barrels, Iron Tread (aka Bracelet), and Mr. Toads, but these trails may be slated for closure at a later date.

One of the issues is they can't close trails (or erect signs) on private property. There are still a number of parcels in the area that are privately owned, although I think the city is actively trying to purchase them as part of the East Elliott expansion.

Also, keep in mind that they have no say on trails that are on military property. This includes almost all of Oak Canyon north of 52, much of Iron Tread, parts of 3 Barrels, and almost all of Carnivore and Herbivore (aka CR1 & CR2, or Duck and Cover.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Funny thing but when I bought my then new bike, I rode the Santa Cruz demo day in Feb or March of 2010. Teote was already there. I have a feeling they are a little loose on their post 2010 dates.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think Teote went in around '08 or '09. Maybe their maps are out of date so they're just guessing when it was built. The "old" trail linking the upper end of L1 to the ridge is supposed to stay open. But I don't know if anyone's ridden it in years since Teote is a much superior route up.

FYI, for those who don't know this: Teote (pronounced Tee-Oh-Tee) was so-named because when it was built, people started calling it "The Other Trail", or T.O.T, which then got interpreted as the more exotic-looking "Teote". Maybe it can now stand for "The Outlawed Trail".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A fella can dream can't he?

I plan on being at the wednesday meeting. I'm also planning on taking some time off work to attend the CAC meeting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Will this be open to the public? I am not a member (yet) but I'd like to attend.

I LOVE Mission Trails and spend countless hours there every month, I want them to expand the park north of 52, not start CLOSING down more trails. In my opinion, Mission Trails is one of the best things San Diego has going for it as a city!

Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto View Post
    I think the trail users need to use SDMBA as the hub, so we are all on the same page, and know all the facts. With all our ducks in a row the trail users can have a huge impact. SDMBA can provide good direction going forward. They are working with IMBA on this issue. We need to time the impact and hit the City all at once. Flood the phone line, Flood the Mail boxes. I think the SDMBA meeting is more important to attend.

Wednesday, November 20 2013, 7:00pm - 9:30pm

One Father Junipero Serra Trail
    San Diego, CA 92119-1008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post
    Yeah, I think Teote went in around '08 or '09. Maybe their maps are out of date so they're just guessing when it was built. The "old" trail linking the upper end of L1 to the ridge is supposed to stay open. But I don't know if anyone's ridden it in years since Teote is a much superior route up.

FYI, for those who don't know this: Teote (pronounced Tee-Oh-Tee) was so-named because when it was built, people started calling it "The Other Trail", or T.O.T, which then got interpreted as the more exotic-looking "Teote". Maybe it can now stand for "The Outlawed Trail".
    There used to be a small wooden sign (like the one at Grassy) about 2/3 up the trail that said " TEOTE"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post
    There used to be a small wooden sign (like the one at Grassy) about 2/3 up the trail that said " TEOTE"
    Now that you mention it, I remember that sign! It's been gone for quite a while - probably hanging on someone's garage wall now.I