Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

1 yo Blue Healer bike dog

Hello all,

I hate to have to do this, but it looks like I have to give her up for adoption. She loves to go for mountain bike rides, loves kids, and attention. I am expecting my first child in two months and I will not be able to give this dog the exercise or attention that she needs. She is wonderful to take mountain biking or hiking and backpacking, she has ridden The Louge and is easy to control when out on a ride ( she ignores animals, other pets and people ). She is vaccinated spayed and house broken. She respond to sit, stay, come, and go to bed.

I really do love this dog, I just can not commit to taking her out for rides twice a week like she needs, not with a new born soon to be in my life. I am looking for some one who is active outdoors, has a yard, and has the time to spend with her.

Pics of her;

http://http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Thank you,
    Robert Melzer
    562 276 8846

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    beautiful dog.....i am sure you can find a great home for her.

also, check out socaltrailriders.org. lots of great people there, and hopefully, your dog can stay somewhat local....
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Sorry to hear. I too have a blue/border collie mix who loves to ride. He is 8 years old now and has slowed down. My point for responding is how old is your dog? Believe it or not they will slow down with years. I have a 2 year and 9 month old girls. My dog loves frisbee which we play more in the back yard instead of rides. Can you find something else to keep your dog busy? The kids keep me busy but I still find plenty of time for the dog. My 2 year old likes to ride her push bike while Wilson chases her. Babies bring new challenges for you and your dog. I hope you can keep her. Good luck.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Unfortunatly it is a combination of circumstances that have brought me to this conclusion. I live in a town home and have been able to take her riding, to the beach, and to the dog park. With my first child on the way I just cannot imagine having the ability to take her to all those places to get her the exercise she needs. If I had a yard I would not be giving her up. I truly love this dog, and this is very hard for me.

jerks for yer mug
    May 2008
    you do not need to get rid of your dog. You'll find the time, newborns aren't newborns for long and kids and dogs can have great relationships.
    it is liquid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mooncrest
    you do not need to get rid of your dog. You'll find the time, newborns aren't newborns for long and kids and dogs can have great relationships.

Beer Please!
    I agree with those who vote to keep her, You have already invested the time to have her trained, and she will grow up with your child, they will be best buds.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Keep the dog, you have options.

http://www.adoption.com/

b a n n e d
    As an owner of a Vizsla and German Wirehaired pointer, I can relate to the energy level. We moved from MI where we had 1/3 of an acre, to an apartment here in LA. It was a major adjustment, but honestly the dogs made the transition faster than I did.

From someone who faced what seemed to be an insurmountable challenge, keep the dog . . . or at least give it a try before you give up on the idea of having both. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it can be. If a "bait dog" can transition to a loving home (story on KTLA a few minutes ago) your dog can learn to adapt to its new life.

One thing that took me a while to realize is that of all the "fun" stuff I do with my dogs (biking, beach, etc.) above all else they simply enjoy spending time with me, even if its as simple as a walk through the neighborhood.

Keep the dog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not funny.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ramelzer,

If you must get rid of the dog, I am interested. PM sent with contact info.

Kirk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    On my drive to work this morning, I saw a man out for a jog. He had a labrador retriever on a leash, and he was pushing a baby jogger with a little one on board. I've got a neighbor that does this as well.

You've got to do what is right for you. But there are ways to pull it off, if you can manage it.

Best wishes on the new baby. Being a parent changes your life in wonderful ways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Beautiful dog, wish we were in a position to take her. Best wishes as you transition into parenthood.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ramelzer
    Not funny.
    I wasn't trying to be funny

Edit: Perhaps you meant the adoption link . . . which I agree is not funny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I could take her for a ride once in a while as long as she doesn't like to bolt

you gotta have friends that would take her for rides too

anyways great looking dog, I rent a house now and WISH they allowed dogs

ohh yea (lmao almost forgot) congrats on the new addition to the family

mtbr member
    awesome dog! I've got a 9 month old Yellow lab that goes just about everywhere with me. Well until Starbucks shut him down. I shot this link over to my lady and she was in love but Im just not sure I could handle another pup. Good luck finding a good home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    People have kids and then stop doing the outdoorsy things they like "because of the kids". Then they get fatter and lazier and can't go do those things even though the kids are older. The irony is the habits the kids learn from this cycle is to be couch potatoes and video game players. They don't appreciate nature and the sheer joy of pushing yourself really hard and enjoying just being out there.

Easy for us to say, but keep the dog and see if you can make it work. Maybe you'll find the kid soon (time FLIES!) wanting to get out and go walk around, hike, play on the beach, and eventually ride with you! I WISH my son still wanted to ride with me. Unfortunately he's gotten out of riding over the last 4-5 years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a Red Heeler who's about 7 years old now. They're great dogs. Mine started calming down somewhat at about 3 years. I, like most others, think you should keep the dog and see how things go.

But if you're set on giving her up my fiancee and I might be interested. Our Heeler always gets along great with other dogs and I'm sure they'd be good together. I don't take her riding, but she does get plenty of exercise and we have a decent sized yard. Anytime we're out of town my my parents take her and she gets the real spa treatment. Walks twice a day on the golf course and swimming in the summertime. So send me a message if you think you're still going to give her up and we'll talk about it.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    Beautiful dog man. If I didn't already have too big a herd I'd be interested- 4 cats and 2 Chi mutts make for a handful already. I always liked the cattle dogs...

Hello
    I hope you keep the dog and treat it as a part of your family.

sent from my rotary phone

I <3 Dirt
    I hope you were able to find a good family to take your dog.

mtbr member
    My Blue Heeler mix calmed down when he was 2-3, now he doesn't need nearly as much exercise.

mtbr member
    I have two cattledogs that I take on rides, and have a 2 1/2 year old. Keep the dog, great family dogs and you will learn to adjust. Baby bjorns, strollers, and such to make it a family affair. The dog will be fine as long as you stimulate it.

mtbr member
    Hey Robert,
    Thanks for trying to meet up with me. Sorry we weren't able to make it happen. I truely hope you find a wonderful home for her. Maybe an avid jogger will keep her in the So Cal area?
    "It looks flexy"

Property Inspections
    Poor dog being treated like an old pair of socks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast