MTBR Tool

1 San Diego weekend ride - staying in city - bring road bike or mtb?

My wife and I are coming over to San Diego this weekend w/our daughter for a quick out of AZ getaway. We'll be staying on Coronado and I have permission for 1 ride during the weekend. I'd normally be doing a 60-70 mile road ride on Saturday followed by a 2-3hr mtb ride on Sunday.

Initially I was thinking to bring the road bike because I should be able to hook up w/a shop ride somewhere. I've been googling a few rides and none of them sound all that appealing so far - the Saturday ride I normally do is a 20+ pace (albeit not too hilly).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rex

If you have to ask...

What type of riding do you like?

The Big Saturday Ride for roadies here is 45+ miles at a pretty hectic pace, with as many as 50 riders on a busy day- fun, if you are into that kind of thing.

Pretty much any mountain bike ride you do you'd need a local guide, so if you want to do some dirt you should round up somebody to ride with pronto.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    The Big Saturday Ride for roadies here is 45+ miles at a pretty hectic pace, with as many as 50 riders on a busy day- fun, if you are into that kind of thing.

Pretty much any mountain bike ride you do you'd need a local guide, so if you want to do some dirt you should round up somebody to ride with pronto.

miles

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm into aggressive XC basically. Give me a ride that has both technical uphill/downhills, sustained climbing/descending and a smattering of singletrack involved and I'll be a contented biker man.

We don't get in until Sat evening so that rules out the Sat am road ride. I do have Sunday/Monday open however

dead sailor
    You sound like a noble canyon kind of guy (who isn't?). Go to Bill's website Click on San Diego county then Noble Canyon. I highly suggest that you do the Laguna to Noble ride described there. The only thing though is that it is quite a drive to Noble (maybe 40 minutes if you're lucky). Alpine's so far away from... EVERYTHING
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

MTBR Tool
    Cool site - thanks for the tips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Sunday...

Maybe you can get 2 rides in...in with the family, one without

Sunday is the Cuyamaca Poker ride...should be a good fun family event and I think it is all fire road. http://www.cuyamaca.statepark.org/bike.htm

I'd go myself, but that wouldn't allow enough time for me to get to the chargers game in time for some decent tailgating...

Not as far away as Noble, but still a drive from Coronado. In fact, all of the mtn biking will be a drive from Coronado (I work there). Like someone previously said, the Laguna-Noble is probably the best and only ride (IMHO) that matches what you are looking for. You sound like you could be a pretty strong rider, so you may consider doing the climb up noble or the climb up the fire road to Sunrise Highway and then follow that south to where Big Laguna intersects the Pacific Crest Trail and then follow Laguna to the intersection of Noble canyon.

MTBR Tool
    Looking good for Noble Canyon so far.

How is(are) Mission Trails? Are they closer to Coronado? Or should I just suck it up and make the drive to Noble?

Thanks once again for all suggestions so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Mission is closer, but...

Mission Trails is much closer. Maybe a 20 min drive from Coronado, depending on which part of the park you park at. I personally don't like Mission Trails. Too much climbing for so little single track. Mabye others out there will have a different opinion than me. About the only section I can think of as technical is Cowles mountain on one side becasue there are tons of waterbars. A ***** to climb if you go that route, probably more fun to go down those waterbars.

My "local" favorite is Rancho Penasquitos. You can get plenty of climibing and there is some fun single track up on del mar mesa. Nothing technical though. I usually piece together up to 15 miles and 1.5 hours of riding.

Sycamore Canyon is also supposed to be good for single track with Martha's Grove. But, I don't know if martha's grove portion is open after the fires. Again, nothing technical.

If you want technical, my only recommendations are Noble and Anderson Truck trail (closer than Noble). Problem with Andreson is land use/rights issues. I haven't been back there in a long time..it was getting too sketchy dealing with a local psycho that doesn' t like mtn bikers too much. If you want some history on it, go here: http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails/anderson.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    Looking good for Noble Canyon so far.

How is(are) Mission Trails? Are they closer to Coronado? Or should I just suck it up and make the drive to Noble?

Thanks once again for all suggestions so far.
    In all fairness, and without suggesting you'll crash, I don't think Noble Canyon is the right ride for you to do alone, as a tourist. If something out of character were to occur, you would be remote, possibly too far "in" to walk out if injured and very difficult to find. It would also be particularly difficult for your wife to describe to anyone where you were, or for you to do so, even on a cell phone (there is some coverage). There are several sections of Noble where one could take a major spill or break a bike.

Add to that a weird fellow on a red Huffy that frequents the area. Some kind of sunburned local, he's been seen harvesting limbs off of downed riders and parts off of their bikes (particularly parts that say "Romic" on them), but then fades into the scrubbrush when approached. Let's just say: "safety in numbers" is the rule.

MTBR Tool
    Damn - I was already nervous enough about you Socal peeps and now this!

Luckily I have a Burner w/the Swinger 3 way - no Romics in sight.

So let me get this straight - no coil springs, bring pepper spray and sat-phone. I'll make sure to add this all to my packing list.

If you have to ask...

A GPS, too...

That is, if you plan to ride Noble. Better yet, email that wacky bastid with the red huffy and get him to show you around. He rides it 3-4 days a week. The other days he rides Anderson.

Be careful, though- he's a dangerous one. You can find him on this forum under the name Aquaholic.

Here's a photo of him at Anderson:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's 7:09 California time

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    EBasil/Miles:

Does he look like this?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Its only 1" on the map!

Glad to see

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    EBasil/Miles:
    Does he look like this?
    Your fan club is growing in numbers
    -Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    EBasil/Miles:

Does he look like this?
    LOL!! I'm not sure, he's usually blurred.

dead sailor
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    That is, if you plan to ride Noble. Better yet, email that wacky bastid with the red huffy and get him to show you around. He rides it 3-4 days a week. The other days he rides Anderson.

Be careful, though- he's a dangerous one. You can find him on this forum under the name Aquaholic.
    Oh. I thought you guys were talking about Sanjay

See... red huffy with a romic bandana, usually hangs out at Noble/ ATT.

Here he is at the sea otter dirt jump invitational. coincidence???
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley