Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: =sedona=

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    185

    paging dstepper

    dstepper just came back from there, so you may want to ask him. There is a trail around Bell Rock in Oak Valley which is just south of Sedona. I forget the name of the trail but its nice.


    Hey Pain, not to change the subject but are you the same pain freak in socalmtb?
    Last edited by Hanzo90802; 12-18-2005 at 04:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Just another Homer
    Reputation: Pain Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    741

    =sedona=

    Finally after many years of trying to get there,we are going the day after xmas. Some of the other local guys and myself will be heading out.What I'd like to know is, what trails would be recommended? We all like the xc stuff and we aren't afraid to climb. Technical, I hear is not what Sedona is all about, but we do tend to ride stuff on the technical side more times then not. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    We will be hitting South Mt (Phoenix) on the way out to get some of our technical fix.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

  3. #3
    Just another Homer
    Reputation: Pain Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo90802
    dstepper just came back from there, so you may want to ask him. There is a trail around Bell Rock in Oak Valley which is just south of Sedona. I forget the name of the trail but its nice.


    Hey Pain, not to change the subject but are you the same pain freak in socalmtb?
    Yep, that be me.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

  4. #4
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,695
    Not allot of climbing in Sedona…everything 400 ft above the valley floor is protected ($300 fine) and off limits to bikes. I have yet to ride on a bad trail in Sedona…the problem is watching the trail it is beautiful there.

    Stop by Bike and Bean and get Cosmic Ray's Fat Tire Local Only edition. Many hidden trails in Sedona so try to hook up with one of the bike shops/locals for their weekend rides.

    A good place to start is Cathedral Rock/Templeton Trail, do it as and out and back to Buddha Beach to get rid of the pavement. Then you can do Llama Trail (my favorite) also in the same area. Both of those rides are perfect singlespeeding. Want more technical in that area, try Broken Arrow/Submarine Rock…slickrock playgrounds!

    Plan your trip around the rain if you can, Sedona and rain do not mix well; as that red dirt is clay, hope the weather holds for you guys. Remember to bring your crystals so you can recharge them at the Vortexes.

  5. #5
    cask conditioned
    Reputation: endo verendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    625
    Mike, you must do this loop!: Start at the Bike and Bean for coffee, maps and info. then ride to Verde Valley School Rd. and look for the trailhead on your right. From there take the rolling and generally dh Cathedral Rock trail to Budha Beach then switchback up and around Cathedral Rock to connect with the Templeton trail. Cross under the highway via the tunnel and hang a left on the Bell Rock Pathway a short bit to connect with the Mystic Trail. Take Mystic through a neighborhood and have fun on it's fast dirt dh to Broken Arrow Rd. Take the Broken Arrow trail, detour out n back to Submarine Rock and hit Chicken Point, then bomb down Lost Horse back toward Bell Rock Pathway. Look for a singletrack off to the left of the Pathway and take this for a long way. I seem to recall it crosses the Pathway at one point, but we took it all the way back to Oak Creek.

    Look the work 'fun' up in the dictionary and this loop will be in there.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

    http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

    where are we eating?

  6. #6
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,695
    I agree with Endo's Loop but would get rid of the Verde Valley School part (4-5 miles of pavement) and do Catherdel as out and back on Templeton. There are two tunnels (Templeton Trail and HT Trail) under Highway 179 that contents Cathedral Rocks Area to Bell Rocks Area.

    Bell Rock Pathway (localy know as the boat launch) is a nearly flat road with tons of hikers/dogs on the weekends...in the parts that you can, I would substitute Llama Trail for it. Last month Llama was not marked but should be signed by now.

    Videos
    http://www.petefagerlin.com/azvid.htm

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,691

    Not technical?

    People who say it's not technical arent trying. Sedona is a blast and has plenty of technical riding if thats what you're after but not a ton of sustained climbing. Two good longish rides with technical sections are1) Parking at the health food store at Soldier Pass and the main drag in Sedona head toward the bridge to Oak Creek and cross it on the road turning left after the bridge up towards Munds Wagon Trail and climb the fire road for a few miles and choose one of the crossing points with MWT to get back to the start of Huckaby and take that down to Oak creek whatch out for the steps), cross the creek and make you're way up to and under Midgely bridge (go as far up stream as you can along the creek before crossing). After crossing under midgley Bridge follow the dirt away from the road and follow the trails along the edge of the wilderness area back towards you're car at Soldier pass; if you want you can go past SP and do Teapot (tons of drop options on the side of the trail) and return to you're car on the road from the other direction. This is well over 20 miles with plenty of technical options, some hard route finding and my favorite scenery of anyplace. 2) From Bike and Bean in Oak creek ride the fireroad about 7 miles through two neighborhoods to the fireroad up to Submarine rock continuing up to Chicken point. Drop in from the left side of Chicken point down the singletrack (3/4foot drop options in the dry creek on the left of the trail if you're into that sort of thing). Follow that trail back to the midpoint of the first fireroad you started on heading back towards Bike and Bean whatching for the crossing under the main road to Templeton loop; you can ride Templeton as an out and back(more fun) by riding down the switchbacks to Buda Beach and back or as a loop with a road section. This ride is neer 20 miles with easier routfinding than the first ride. Bike and bean will clue you in better than I can. Red Planet Diner has good food and drink (goofy decorations but...) Picasso Pizza is good, the Brewery in the artist village is good and the little Mexican fast food joint by the Subway and Wendy's is good too.
    Last edited by slowrider; 12-19-2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #8
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    People who say it's not technical arent trying. Sedona is a blast and has plenty of technical riding if thats what you're after but not a ton of sustained climbing. Two good longish rides with technical sections are1) Parking at the health food store at Soldier Pass and the main drag in Sedona head toward the bridge to Oak Creek and cross it on the road turning left after the bridge up towards Munds Wagon Trail and climb the fire road for a few miles and choose one of the crossing points with MWT to get back to the start of Huckaby and take that down to Oak creek whatch out for the steps), cross the creek and make you're way up to and under Midgely bridge (go as far up stream as you can along the creek before crossing). After crossing under midgley Bridge follow the dirt away from the road and follow the trails along the edge of the wilderness area back towards you're car at Soldier pass; if you want you can go past SP and do Teapot (tons of drop options on the side of the trail) and return to you're car on the road from the other direction. This is well over 20 miles with plenty of technical options, some hard route finding and my favorite scenery of anyplace. 2) From Bike and Bean in Oak creek ride the fireroad about 7 miles through two neighborhoods to the fireroad up to Submarine rock continuing up to Chicken point. Drop in from the left side of Chicken point down the singletrack (3/4foot drop options in the dry creek on the left of the trail if you're into that sort of thing). Follow that trail back to the midpoint of the first fireroad you started on heading back towards Bike and Bean whatching for the crossing under the main road to Templeton loop; you can ride Templeton as an out and back(more fun) by riding down the switchbacks to Buda Beach and back or as a loop with a road section. This ride is neer 20 miles with easier routfinding than the first ride. Bike and bean will clue you in better than I can. Red Planet Diner has good food and drink (goofy decorations but...) Picasso Pizza is good, the Brewery in the artist village is good and the little Mexican fast food joint by the Subway and Wendy's is good too.

    there is a semi secret trail called the mingus mountain downhill that is supposed to be pretty wild. ask around for it, i haven't ridden it, only heard about it. the classics are all pretty fun. (sub rock, cath rock, huchaby)

  9. #9
    taxi mechanic
    Reputation: eebeedah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Picasso Pizza is good
    there is beautiful blonde waitress there and is really nice.

    sometime technical trail for some can be easy for other?

  10. #10
    taxi mechanic
    Reputation: eebeedah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    there is a semi secret trail called the mingus mountain downhill that is supposed to be pretty wild.
    when i go sedona i take tour with mountain bike heaven. guide dean talks much of secret trails. if he talk so much i wonder how stay secret?

  11. #11
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,695
    [QUOTE=dftmingus mountain downhill

    That is the Mingus Mountain (Highway 69) between Jerome and Prescott Valley, 40 miles away from Sedona.

    Food/Coffee-Desert Rose Bakery two or so blocks South of Bike and Bean on Hwy 179.

  12. #12
    Just another Homer
    Reputation: Pain Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    741

    Cool guys

    Thanks, Lots of good stuff here. Ron, I was already given the heads up on just about the same way you posted with a slight variation. This will probably be our first ride. Dstepper has some others I had heard of,but now I will look them up and give it a go.

    Is Derek still living out there and if he is,is he still riding? I know he got banged up on his dirt bike and was off the mtb for a while. I wonder if he's around.

    We will be riding during the week and heading back Friday.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •