Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    190lbs of climber

You are lying to yourself about Pliny

According to this article, we can't even taste the different about a certain threshold of hoppyness, and Pliny and other craft brew yucky bitter beers are waaaay about that threshold. As a hop-hater, I agree.

Discuss!

beer threads don't need an "OT:" on the norcal forum, right?
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Taste and smell are closely related, but not the same thing.

I'm not a huge fan of over the top IPA's (Imperial, double, triple, whatever IPA), but do appreciate them for what they are from time to time and do know enough to say that the smell of a Pliny is quite different than the smell of a Hop Stoopid, even though they are both way above the threshold of 60 IBU's mentioned in the article.

Carry on and drink what you like, be it water, milk, GU or Pliny!

mtbr member
    IBU rating does not=flavor. People like Pliny for the way it tastes, not it's IBU rating.

Saying that...I do agree somewhat with the article's premise that there is a bit of an over infatuation with hops but at the same time, the market doesn't lie. It's like SF Real Estate, you can say it's overvalued but the demand is real.

Weird huh?
    Well, I'll, uh, um, you know what Menso? I mean, uh, that's an outrage, a travesty of a mockery, of an injustice. I've spent a LOT of time on these forums convincing myself that I was so very special for having access to Pliney, now you tell me it was largely due to mass hype? I wanna be a beer snob damn it! I want to I want to I want to !!!

Fine, I'll just go get myself a fixie, some horn rimmed glasses and a 6 pack of PBR.
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

I just wanna go fast...
    Might not be the hops part of the beer that everyone likes. There are lots of hoppy beers out there, but people are still drawn to pliny

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Way more flavors than bitter in Pliny.

190lbs of climber
    DON'T DO IT! You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard!

weekend worrier
    I disagree with the article's statement that most people can't distinguish above 60 IBUs. 100 IBUs is typically considered the threshold of what humans can taste, but every person is different. Pliny comes in at around 92 IBUs and is delicious.

The ratio of maltiness to hoppiness is also important. For example, the article cites Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's 37 IBUs, but the low maltiness is what makes that beer taste crisp. The same is true of Firestone-Walker Pale 31 at 38 IBUs, one of my favorite session beers. Its extremely low maltiness makes the 38 IBUs very assertive. On the other end of the spectrum is Green Flash West Coast IPA at 95 IBUs. Yes, it is very hoppy, but the hoppiness is balanced by more maltiness. It too is delicious.

190lbs of climber
    sactojesse, all this talk of balanced hops and malt is making me thirsty. This was a bad thread to start while at work early on a Friday.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    sactojesse, all this talk of balanced hops and malt is making me thirsty. This was a bad thread to start while at work early on a Friday.
    No kidding. A pox on you Menso!

Damn, two more hours to go til beer-o-clock and I have an insane craving thanks to this thread!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Stopped reading at: "in the craft beer capital of the world, Portland, Ore., where I live."

I knew from there anything written wasn't credible. Anywho, sactojesse hits the nail on the head regarding malt/hop balance. So to say you can't tell the difference between IBU's is stupid because how much bitterness you taste is dependent on the grain bill. Ruination tastes totally different (and better IMHO) than Green Flash despite similar IBU's. To me Green Flash tastes like rust. It's not that it's too bitter, it's just lacking balance and complexity. But if you don't like hops, good for you... not everyone has good taste

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sactojesse View Post
    I disagree with the article's statement that most people can't distinguish above 60 IBUs. 100 IBUs is typically considered the threshold of what humans can taste, but every person is different. Pliny comes in at around 92 IBUs and is delicious.

The ratio of maltiness to hoppiness is also important. For example, the article cites Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's 37 IBUs, but the low maltiness is what makes that beer taste crisp. The same is true of Firestone-Walker Pale 31 at 38 IBUs, one of my favorite session beers. Its extremely low maltiness makes the 38 IBUs very assertive. On the other end of the spectrum is Green Flash West Coast IPA at 95 IBUs. Yes, it is very hoppy, but the hoppiness is balanced by more maltiness. It too is delicious.
    ^^this...it's all about the malty balance/aroma for pliny

Hi.
    I'll just leave this here. Cool bitterness chart, too big to post:

http://cigarsinreviewtony.files.word...11/10/hops.png

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    +1 -- Pliny sux!

*Please send all unopened bottles to Seattle, WA for disposal.

mtbr member
    Google the recipe for Pliny online and compare the ingredients to your own brand of beer that you like to drink and you will definitely see why Pliny is so special. A lot of stuff goes into making a great beer, not just Hoppyness.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Am I lying to my self about my like for pliny, or other interesting and tasty beers?

Nope.

I do rather like tasty beer.

mtbr member

You are lying to yourself about Pliny

I'm thinking Menso is in denial about the greatness of Pliny.

I'm also thinking that I am going to do some hoppy beer research tonight to see if I really do like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

grinder
    I'm thinking the only reasonable thing to do is to challenge this by getting together and having a taste test to prove/disprove the hypothesis of the hop effectiveness threshold.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    OP: You might appreciate these types of beers more when you grow up. I mean older!

Seriously, it's kinda like big red wines; they just seem to be better suited to an...established palate. In the meantime, enjoy your Natty Light!

VV Dude, you're WAY ahead of the curve! You'll be drinking Scotch (gag) by the time you're 35.
    And full disclosure: I didn't like IPA till I was 50+ (slow learner).
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    OP: You might appreciate these types of beers more when you grow up. I mean older!

Seriously, it's kinda like big red wines; they just seem to be better suited to an...established palate. In the meantime, enjoy your Natty Light!
    Nice comeback! I think you are right: I didn't even like beer at all until I was 21-22 (no joke), and I've now progressed from ambers to stouts and other dark beers. Perhaps IPA's will become palatable soon.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I'm thinking Menso is in denial about the greatness of Pliny.

I'm also thinking that I am going to do some hoppy beer research tonight to see if I really do like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We'll need some documentation of this research... You know.. for peer review....

aka baycat
    Pliny is disgusting, where is my Nelson!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    Pliny is disgusting, where is my Nelson!

swag ho Administrator
    Unfreakingbelievable. Because of this thread, I was reminded to check my local source.

I bagged a case of Pliny and a case of Blind Pig. So stoked!!!

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You are lying to yourself about Pliny-img_7896.jpg  

IPA will save America

Lusus Naturae
    Hey if you want to try a stout I'm going to break open a Parabola 2013 in an hour or so.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast