Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yeti 575 vs. Yeti ASR 5C for Grass Valley/Tahoe

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Flat Pedals 
#1 ·
I am curious if there are any folks out there riding either a 575 or ASR 5 Carbon around Tahoe/Grass Valley areas and how they feel about either bike. I am trying to make a decision about what to buy as I will be moving up North later this summer and want to get the proper bike for the terrain mentioned. Thank you for your thoughts.

Additionally, are there any preferred Yeti dealers in Auburn/Tahoe/Reno? Any purchases from Competitive Cyclist?

Best,

Daniel

#2 ·
I bought a 575 from competitive. If you can use, the 15% off coupon floating around, if not email them and ask them if they can better their price on the website. I've done that, and it has worked. As far as the 575 is concerned, I love it, I rid up there a lot during the summer, and can't imagine wanting less travel, though everyone I hear from loves the 5. I am looking to get a talas on my 575 to help with a bit of front end wander I experience on really steep climbs, but other than that love the bike.

There is a Yeti dealer in reno, go on their website and search for dealers and you will find it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. What kind of build do you choose from competitive...XTR, XO, XX? I have been looking around on the web for the 15% off coupon, but have yet to come across it. I emailed them over the weekend, but have yet to hear back. What kind of wheels did you choose? I have been looking at the crank bros set, but I am not sure they are worth the money at this point.

#5 ·
Just got the 2011 ASR 5 Alloy XT Race with the 140mm front fork option. 26.7lbs without pedals on the shop scale. Perfect for PAN bay area riding which I think will translate okay into the foothills. I ride a lot of Tamarancho, Skeggs (including all mtn lines), Water Dog, Saratoga Gap, China Camp, Boggs, and Annadel. Wanted to get the 575 but am coming off a Nomad and wanted more of a pedaling bike. 575 pedals very well but does way about 2.25 more lbs than the ASR 5C and 1.5 more than the ASR 5 alloy. I've demo'd the 575, 5c and 5 alloy. The 140mm option on the 5 alloy did it for me especially factoring in this gives it a 67degree head angle which is more slack than the 575.. Light enough but enough travel to keep the front end aggressive on the down. It's not as plush as the 575 but it's super solid in holding a line even when things get hairy. A review by Bike Radar commented that you need to be on your game to get the most out of the 5. I agree. If you want a bike that is going to do more of the work for you on the down then the 575 is the way to go. Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose gave about 20% off on this bike. It was a part of their demo day promotion. Think the sale is going on beyond that especially if you are serious about getting one.

#6 ·
yeti

Hey Flat, how much difference did you notice with the climbing of the 575 vs the ASR5. I'm from foothills of CO, and this thread caught my attention because I have an older 575 and will be replacing it this summer. Mine has a 130mm Fox, so I think the ASR 5 is closer to my angles currently, but love the extra travel for the downhills.

#7 ·
ASR 5 is definitely a better climber especially considering the 2011 575 which is about 1lb heavier than the previous version and that the suspension tune is more sagged out. The lightweight and firmer pedaling platform on the 5 really accelerates up hill and in flatter sections Much more than the 575. Better pedaling is what I wanted coming off the Nomad and having. Much more than the 575. I run a little more sag than recommended on the 5 which gives it a plusher feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.