sunnyside up

YES! This is Awesome! SF URBAN RIDERS want DIRT to ride in San Francisco

I'll be the first one to admit that I don't always offer positive comments when people engage in ranting against land managers in the forum, but HOLY SMOKES, people, you MUST check out this new website. CLICK THE LINK. Go there! This is the anti-rant. This is real action.

http://www.sfurbanriders.org

What it is: the results of a bunch of people getting together and saying "We want something better, and the land managers in power aren't going to give it to us unless we really work for it"

City and County of San Francisco now has a real honest to goodness ADVOCACY organization. Previous work by others helped set the stage, notably http://www.sfmtb.com But one person alone gets burnt out. SF Bike Coalition does good work for road riders but has no interest in working on trails or dirt. I've been watching the formation of SF Urban Riders and it's one of the most exciting new groups of NorCal mountain bikers to form in years. It needed to happen and it did. They just launched their website today after about 4 months of discussion via email and in person.

The folks at SF Urban Riders want a bike park. They want dirt trails opened to bikes within the city. And they are announcing it to the world. Setting meetings with land managers, civic groups, and others who can help them make their vision be real. Geez they may wrest the "All I want" award from my clutch. Awesome! Way to go!

If you live in or near SF and want to help this group, please, please, please, sign up to join with them.

http://www.sfurbanriders.org

Patty
    Last edited by knobbyknees; 08-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

mtbr member
    Patty,

I had a very interesting conversation with a guy down in San Luis Obispo this past weekend about trail access in SLO county. I think we(the greater bay area mtb community) could learn a lot from what they are and have been doing down there.

One project he mentioned in particular really sounded interesting and is along the lines of this thread and Rensho's recent thread about the park in Boulder. It involves a certain Eucalyptus grove behind the Cal Poly campus. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to step on any toes but it involves the eradication of non native species(Eucalyptus) in exchange for what sounds like a very cool project.

I could go on and on but again I don't want to overstep my bounds so maybe somebody from SLO will jump in here. The impression I got was that the mtb community controls their destiny down there because the city, county and State parks views them as THE volunteer trail work organization. They put their collective shovels where their mouth was/is so to speak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SF Urban Riders has been quietly tuning our message and gathering community support. It started for real in January 2008 - but has roots going back to 2002 and getting involved in Open Space Habitat restoration.

We have made some friends with other political/user groups like the Native Plant people, YMCA and San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. We also have Industry support from REI, IMBA, and of course the bicycle industry.

We appreciate all the support and look forward to hearing your comments and ideas.

We will be upgrading our website along the way - and could ALWAYS USE A GOOD WEB MASTER or Mastress to assist our image!!!!!!!!

Feel free to Subscribe - OR you can email us direct at:

info (at) sf urban riders (dot ) org

That is our spambot version of the email address - you should know what to do with it!

cheers

Loam Gnome

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Bike Park Hells Yeah!

Yup, we been at it a little while now and it's starting to take off. SF Urban Riders has some devoted riders that are going to make the city more friendly to off-road cycling in general, but my real hope is to get some freakin jumps and berms built, so you don't have to drive anywhere to get a little session going.

Please join the effort and get behind this organization.

SFurbanriders.org

Mitch
    SF DIRTLAB

mtbr member
    Nice jorb.

This deserves a sticky for the extra exposure.

One thing. When I went to subscribe it returned an error. Perhaps this is where a Webmaster or mastress would come in handy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Apparently ONE subscriber button works and One does not.... feel free to try both.

Again - apologies for our tech limitations......

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Yeah yeah!

Great stuff! To get action, you gotta push and push until the city, state, county, and regional authorities can't ignore you anymore. Up in Seattle, we've been working with the city to build an urban bike park under the I-5 freeway, and after years of advocacy by the BBTC (Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club) and some local shops it's finally done (almost).

Colonnades is a multi-use park with some intermediate XC trails, a beginner skills area, a pumptrack, a trials area, and a mini Whistler-style advanced park complete with jumps, drops, tech descents, ladders and other structures. Everything was volunteer-built with mostly donated materials and funding.

Check it out:

http://bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?title...il_Description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sfPuRyASw

Come on up to Seattle and visit -- the project manager Mike Westra can get you stoked and inspired!

mtbr member
    I saw a presentation including the Colonnades park at the IMBA World Summit last month. You guys did a great job with the park AND the presentation, which makes me think of how you presented to the land managers and regional authorities. The level of organization behind your plans is very evident. I came back to my neck of the woods (East Bay of SF), and wrote an article about all the energy around building dirt parks going on, right now. Its also great to see a thread like this on mtbr. Hopefully, it gets more folks motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh
    Great stuff! To get action, you gotta push and push until the city, state, county, and regional authorities can't ignore you anymore. Up in Seattle, we've been working with the city to build an urban bike park under the I-5 freeway, and after years of advocacy by the BBTC (Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club) and some local shops it's finally done (almost).

Colonnades is a multi-use park with some intermediate XC trails, a beginner skills area, a pumptrack, a trials area, and a mini Whistler-style advanced park complete with jumps, drops, tech descents, ladders and other structures. Everything was volunteer-built with mostly donated materials and funding.

Check it out:

http://bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?title...il_Description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sfPuRyASw

Come on up to Seattle and visit -- the project manager Mike Westra can get you stoked and inspired!
    "Poison oak itches
    Sensational scratch feels good
    With pain to follow."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was there also - very inspirational!

San Francisco efforts are so much farther along than anyone realizes because we have chosen to align our community support with key organizations and business BEFORE approaching the general public and land managers.

First thing SF Rec & Park will ask anyone when they get there first sit down meeting is, "thats a nice idea, why dont you go get some community support and a plan and get back to us". This type of approach just wastes your time and puts the land manager in the drivers seat for awhile.

By gathering a strong community and industry support and then approaching Rec & Park with a clear concise message aimed at Youth and Habitat we hope to make the first meeting so much more productive .

Sf Rec & Park did a massive Environmental Impact Report in 2002 - so using that info with our own field analysis we hope to have a demo draft of Phase On e improvements ready in a few weeks.

exciting stuf.

mtbr member
    Not local, but still good perspective:

"We can still build fun things, but we have to have the right people behind it to manage it. When municipalities and business owners can see that there are companies that are viable a trails value goes up. The trail becomes a recreational resource. That is our future, making skills parks and trails that can last. I think it's a necessity that for every difficult trail a precursor needs to be on that trail or a series of other trails. We need to remember that the only way to make this sport grown is to embrace the beginner riders and intermediate riders because there are way more of them than of the advanced/expert riders. So if we make really cool stuff and bring people in to the sport we can grow in all kinds of creative ways." ~ Jay Hoots

from: http://www.dropmachine.com/Feature/jay-hoots-a442.html
    "Poison oak itches
    Sensational scratch feels good
    With pain to follow."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SWEET Article!

Cinderella can come ride with us anytime!

Jay Hoots is definitely a great spokes person for biking, because not only is he a balls out rider with dirt credibility, BUT He also gets the Big Picture, the reality that it is all about 'usherring in the beginner and intermediate riders' in order to sustainable and successfully grow the sport!!

I saw him present at the IMBA Summit in Park City,UT a few months ago, and some of the stuff he is now designing is completely over the top. He is actively thinking about every aspect and even building beginner features to accommodate the growing Off Road Wheel Chair market.

The Enlightenment is not relegated to just Canada - Its happening all over the world much faster than in the USA.

Building trails that become 'viable recreational resources' because of their expert layout and construction, and enjoyed by all age and skill levels based on their progressive design.

cheers