ballbuster

X-Post, Cheezy China Camp vid

Hey all,

Just as an experiment, I shot part of my little China Camp ride on my Canon point and shoot camera. I threw some music on it and called it a vid. I probably should have edited it, cause its 37 minutes long. I wouldn't expect anybody to actually sit through the whole thing.

I uploaded it to Google video, where they proceeded to de-res the crap out of it. It looked way better before I uploaded it.

Here goes:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36993445&hl=en

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    Pimp, nice effort with the cam! Sure, it's not pro-shot, but good enough to get the vibe across. I have thought about doing this with my own camera, but stalled somewhere before actually mounting it on my helmet. Could you explain how you fixed it on there? I have a mini tripod that could probably be taped or velcroed on my helmet, but I wasn't 100% sure it would hold - or more specifically, that the camera angle would hold. Thanks!

ballbuster

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cycledelic
    Pimp, nice effort with the cam! Sure, it's not pro-shot, but good enough to get the vibe across. I have thought about doing this with my own camera, but stalled somewhere before actually mounting it on my helmet. Could you explain how you fixed it on there? I have a mini tripod that could probably be taped or velcroed on my helmet, but I wasn't 100% sure it would hold - or more specifically, that the camera angle would hold. Thanks!
    I took an old helmet, shaved a little recess inside on the top. Went to Home Depot and got a 1/4-20 bolt about 2" long and some fender washers, and some sealing washers with neoprene insert and a Nylock nut. The bolt runs through a fender washer form the inside out, through the other washer and held in place with the nylock nut. The the neoprene washers are stacked on the make resistance against the camera mount. Thread the camera down and viola! I'll post a pic later. I basically got lucky on the camera angle, but the helmet kept sliding down my face, which is why there is too much trail in the frame and not enough horizon.

Do this at your own risk. Fall the wrong way, and somebody is going to be pulling a steel bolt out of your brain. I was going for a Dawrin Award apparently. I just tried this at China Camp because it is an easy enough trail that the risks were minimal.

You would probably be better off duct taping a tripod to the top of your lid.

I have to say, the vid looked WAY better before I uplaoded it to Google. They de-res it to save space, I guess.