Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed with the NorCal forum. I posted this in the 29er forum...168 replies; one guy wants to impeach me
    Only 1? 😂

Cycologist
    I'm a bit disappointed with the NorCal forum. I posted this in the 29er forum...168 replies; one guy wants to impeach me
    Trying posting it in the 26 and 27.5 forums. You may get elected president or something.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Trying posting it in the 26 and 27.5 forums. You may get elected president or something.
    Griz for President! Or at least a some legit forum moderator....😳
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Spin-stabilized
    About that Highball, test rode the latest one and I loved it right away. I've been riding 29er hardtails almost exclusively for the past 2 years (just recently sold my Banshee Rune in 26" due to lack of use) and have gotten used to the jump from 26.
    I think the new crop of 29ers are a lot of fun to ride. I have been either riding my Salsa El El Mariachi for the yawn-inducing Mid-Pen trails and my Chromag Rootdown for everything else. I've taken my Chromag to the Lakes Basin and missed having rear suspension more than anything that has to do with not having smaller wheels. On the Downieville DH, the Chromag was pure fun! I was riding with someone who had a mojo3 and we traded for the top section of Butcher and I missed the Chromag right away. In short, the only thing "wrong" with the Rootdown was the lack of rear squish but even that wasn't a big deal for me.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I recently listened to an interview with Joe Graney from Santa Cruz where he pretty much predicted the whole industry will eventually end up 29er dominated.

I've never owned a 29er, but I think he might be right.
    Fake news

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    with 3x10 and 610mm bars.

Not that there's anything wrong withdat.
    True dat. Nothing wrong at all.

Still rocking 3x10 (running it as 2x10)and 26" wheels. I'll move to 27.5 this year but only because wheel and tire choices are getting to be limited for 26" wheels. I'll give you that the 29er climbs better but I'm 110% with the OP, 29ers are a bummer. Slow, slow, slow.

Also, I've never gotten the whole 1xN fad either.

Hella Olde
    Yeah those YT kids are nice!

Hella Olde

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^Thank skyno, he's the one who told me about it...a couple weeks ago.

pvd
    mtbr member
    The new Whyte S-150 is looking pretty good also.

PRETENDURO
    Huh? People keep talking about 3x12 setups with rim brakes and fannypacks. How did I not latch onto this caravan of awesomeness???
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Hella Olde
    29ers are good for an ass-grinding at full shock compression.

Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    29ers are good for an ass-grinding at full shock compression.
    I don't like skid marks on the inside OR outside of my shorts!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I don't like skid marks on the inside OR outside of my shorts!
    Agreed! DH race wear is going to need added protection from the external variety. You can hear the buzzing in many race videos and see the chewed up fabric if your'e a bum-looker. 29ers in DH are super new and this is an actual issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Agreed! DH race wear is going to need added protection from the external variety. You can hear the buzzing in many race videos and see the chewed up fabric if your'e a bum-looker. 29ers in DH are super new and this is an actual issue.
    I'm on a 650b and I still ruined a pair of new IXS Sever shorts due to bum to tire rub on Livewire at N*. lol

I'm really diggin it!
    I buzzed my butt on my 2014 V-10 with 26" wheels first day or two at Northstar this year 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    I buzzed my butt on my 2014 V-10 with 26" wheels first day or two at Northstar this year 🤷*♀️

You know how to get low low low~

mtbr member
    This reminds of a recent loss I had. It was sad see them go. (Slightly off topic since it was 26" minion)

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    You know how to get low low low~
    My balls reminded me to not do that again

My balls reminded me to not do that again

Mine thanked me for running a wide semislick.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Mine thanked me for running a wide semislick.
    I now know of one instance where I don't like a 2.5 DHF

Trail Gnome Moderator
    They're still referring to me as a troll in the 29er forum...those guys don't realize I really am looking for a 29er...
    Best 29er for Santa Cruz trails

They're still referring to me as a troll in the 29er forum...those guys don't realize I really am looking for a 29er...
    You offended their emotional purchase. They have gone overboard but I understand. You're not a troll bro.

I'm really diggin it!
    Give Fairfax Cyclery a call and see when you can demo the S-150

NedwannaB
    Give Fairfax Cyclery a call and see when you can demo the S-150
    He has already been *prompted to go in there and residing in the area probly has already done so.....
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-28-2017 at 09:10 PM.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    He has already been promoted to go in there and residing in the area probly has already done so.....
    Just checked out the geometry and it seemed like it would be a good thing for griz to try out. Also I don't think they have any demos in stock yet.

NedwannaB
    Just checked out the geometry and it seemed like it would be a good thing for griz to try out. Also I don't think they have any demos in stock yet.
    Random question...Do you know if one of the guys was involved with Larkspur Bike-n-Bean??

I'm really diggin it!
    Random question...Do you know if one of the guys was involved with Larkspur Bike-n-Bean??
    Affirmative.

mtbr member
    Griz, I read your original post over on the 29er forum and would recommend getting on a YT Jeffsy 29 when you have a chance. I switched from my 27.5 Turner Burner (admittedly not the most agile, but I love that bike) and I find the Jeffsy to feel just as if not more nimble. That combined with 140mm of travel and the increased rollover of the larger wheel has resulted in a Goldilocks bike for me. I'm not sure about their demo tour dates, but you can demo YTs out of the US headquarters in Reno.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

NedwannaB
    Affirmative.
    Thought so. Remembered him from when he was still out in Santa Venetia location.Have to get back in there.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^Are you guys referring to Tom?

NedwannaB
    ^^^Are you guys referring to Tom?
    Which guys? Us guys or them other guys?

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Which guys? Us guys or them other guys?
    You know who I'm talking too...any interest in riding this weekend? Maybe you could round up your meatheads for an early ride at Annadel on Saturday?

mtbr member
    I really am looking for a 29er...
    Let me know if interested in a blinged out 1 year old large Rip LS. Avy suspension F&R for 175lb rider, carbon I9 942s, etc.

mtbr member
    I rode the Hightower LT in a large today in SC. Tight, twisty, rocks, ruts, jumps....this bike handles everything I threw at it, and very well. The bottom bracket is a bit lower than I'm used to. The bike climbs really, really well, I was surprised.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

and because they look like hell coming down the mountain...

Why do 29ers still suck?-minnaar-cer_4305.2-525x350.jpg

NedwannaB
    You know who I'm talking too...any interest in riding this weekend? Maybe you could round up your meatheads for an early ride at Annadel on Saturday?
    Well, you dint reply specifically......:0

NedwannaB
    Well, you dint reply specifically......:0 And hey, they resemble that remark!

mtbr member
    as others are saying the bigger wheels are faster in many situations when going down hill. and not without compromise in agility. I'm with you in not liking them. but, there are situations where they are very very good. I just prefer to think I will not need a 29er in "those" situations. I'm waiting for a good 26er with 160mm modern suspension to come out soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

My personal opinion is that, wheel size aside, a lot of these long, low, huge travel "Enduro" bikes coming out are not good for everyday trail riding and maybe they're not supposed to be? I did not really like riding the Nomad 3 on any trails in the bay area except a couple of very steep gnarly trails at Pacifica. It just felt way too much like a DH bike, too sluggish until things got pretty steep and rowdy then it was amazing! but for me it felt more like a DH bike than a trail bike.

Bingo. The bay area is ridiculously flat and smooth. If i moved back i would get a FS XC bike and be overbiked for 90% of the riding.

When your local pedal trails are rowdy, steep, fast and borderline DH descents, and you also mix in bike park days and shuttle days you are going to need a much different bike than what you would need in the Bay Area. Gotta pick the bike that works best for the trails you ride the most.

MTB is always marketed towards making the consumer feel like they will be able to get way more EXTREME... when in reality, most folks would do well on a much more tame bike. But, there are one helluva lot of us out here that need a bike that can pedal up, but is also fun for the steep rowdy trails back down.

If 29ers aint that good, why did ratboy only roll with a hightower for a year? he had his pick of bikes and he chose a slack 29er...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    Bingo. The bay area is ridiculously flat
    Well thanks for agreeing with me but I don't know if I agree that bay area trails are flat; isn't BA kind of know for it's steep hills?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Bay area is flat? That's news to me.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Here's my 29. All Raceface Next R stuff. Sram NX and Fox DPX2 shock on this Trek Slash 29.

Rear travel is 150mm and front is 160mm.

It is a beast with a big sweet spot. DPX2 rear controls the travel in wide open mode and in trail mode, it likes a Trek Fuel. It keeps me out of trouble this bike!

It's better than the HD3 and the Nomad I think since it takes the big, fast hits better. And it climbs better and keeps speed better on rolly terrain.

It has a big problem though which is max 125mm dropper for my height.Why do 29ers still suck?-p1010067.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Well thanks for agreeing with me but I don't know if I agree that bay area trails are flat; isn't BA kind of know for it's steep hills?
    Generally, yes from my experience. Pacifica is the only legal stuff that has steep trails, and all of the Santa Cruz illegal steep stuff can be steep but not at all tech. I dont want to get into a pissing match, but from my experience riding in the PNW for the past few years, vs what i had to ride in the Bay Area, the bay area is very flat and smooth... and also has a serious hatred of MTBers.

I'm headed back down to visit family over TG and will be bringing my bike, so if you have anywhere in mind that would prove me wrong, id love to be wrong

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here's my 29. All Raceface Next R stuff. Sram NX and Fox DPX2 shock on this Trek Slash 29.

Rear travel is 150mm and front is 160mm.

It is a beast with a big sweet spot. DPX2 rear controls the travel in wide open mode and in trail mode, it likes a Trek Fuel. It keeps me out of trouble this bike!

It's better than the HD3 and the Nomad I think since it takes the big, fast hits better. And it climbs better and keeps speed better on rolly terrain.

It has a big problem though which is max 125mm dropper for my height.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010067.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	1157434
    looks nice. I split time between a ripley ls and hd3 and and find myself riding the rip more and more...been dabbling with 9ers since the early days and always found advantages but am increasingly impressed with the newer 9ers. I'm looking to build something more like what you've built here though pretty darn happy with the ripley at this point. To me, this whole debate just comes down to personal preference...or as we used to say in the car business, 'there's an ass for every seat'. As long as you're on a bike, it should all be good.
    Support local trail-building: www.mbosc.org
    Help our most vulnerable population: www.goodkarmabikes.org

mtbr member
    Generally, yes from my experience. Pacifica is the only legal stuff that has steep trails, and all of the Santa Cruz illegal steep stuff can be steep but not at all tech. I dont want to get into a pissing match, but from my experience riding in the PNW for the past few years, vs what i had to ride in the Bay Area, the bay area is very flat and smooth... and also has a serious hatred of MTBers.

I'm headed back down to visit family over TG and will be bringing my bike, so if you have anywhere in mind that would prove me wrong, id love to be wrong
    Where in the PNW do you ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Where in the PNW do you ride?
    Seattle/Bham area mostly - Tiger, Tokul, Raging River, chuckanut, Galby, Various unsanctioned areas. spent a fair bit of time on the sea-to-sky corridor as well.

I like to randomly check back in on the Bay Area to see if anything new is being built, shut down, improved, etc

mtbr member
    Seattle/Bham area mostly - Tiger, Tokul, Raging River, chuckanut, Galby, Various unsanctioned areas. spent a fair bit of time on the sea-to-sky corridor as well.

I like to randomly check back in on the Bay Area to see if anything new is being built, shut down, improved, etc
    I will be in the Seattle are during Thanksgiving and will be looking for spots to ride. Any recommendations within an hour from the city?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I will be in the Seattle are during Thanksgiving and will be looking for spots to ride. Any recommendations within an hour from the city?
    Tiger Mtn 100%. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/tiger-mtn

Ride up Masterlink-Quick Link-Fireroad.

Descend East Tiger Summit, Off The Grid, Fully Rigid, Joyride

Then take NW timber out. that loop takes a little over 2 hours, and OTG is such a fun flowy trail.

Or do a lap or two at Tokul. it is shorter laps, and lower elevation so wont get snow if the top of tiger does. Just check Evergreenmtb.org. but i would highly reccomend those trails.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    ...To me, this whole debate just comes down to personal preference...
    But that's what folks on 580mm bars and 140 stems proclaim. And folks who refuse to consider dropper posts say 'personal preference'.

I think that's the last stage of the decision process. Be open, inform oneself of all the factors and trade-offs first.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

I think I see where you're coming from - when you say "steep" you are specifically referring to steep, techy, fun DH runs - well I think we can all agree that we don't have much of that - pretty much just Pacifica and SC, and then of course a handful of rogue stuff that is not really worth the risk, time, and effort IMO unless maybe they are your very local trails

I can point you to a metric ton of boring steep stuff though if you want - I bet we have more of that than just about anyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I can point you to a metric ton of boring steep stuff though if you want - I bet we have more of that than just about anyone!
    Like where?

mtbr member

It has a big problem though which is max 125mm dropper for my height.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010067.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	1157434
    Looks like a rad setup that probably rides very well and while I haven't ridden it, I'm having a hard time buying that it takes big hits better than a 170mm 64 degree HA Nomad. I agree that 125mm dropper limit is a big deal - sometimes I feel like I need more than my 150mm! Anyone selling a 170mm?!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)

My normal loop includes these 3 drops

Radio Tower Drop
    Lafayette, CA
    0.8mi Avg Grade -19% Elev Difference 847ft max -38.3%

Zombie Line
    Martinez, California
    0.6mi Avg Grade -18% Elev Difference 621ft max -48.9%

Isaac's
    Martinez, California
    0.3mi Avg Grade -21% Elev Difference 401ft max -34%

And this is the climb to get to some even steeper unnamed tracks that top out at 50%+
    Norm's Hill
    Lafayette, California
    0.3mi Avg Grade 14% Elev Difference 289ft

Mount Diablo is no joke either.

And your right about them hating mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Like where?
    Skeggs, Purisima, Briones, Kennedy, Pacifica, Montara, El Granada, all over Marin (go ride fire roads on north side of Sir Francis Drake!), hell I even know some really steep sh!t in San Francisco - I know where a lot of stuff like this is

Why do 29ers still suck?-16ddaba730fc598eb612fb785d5fe3c4.jpg

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Looks like a rad setup that probably rides very well and while I haven't ridden it, I'm having a hard time buying that it takes big hits better than a 170mm 64 degree HA Nomad. I agree that 125mm dropper limit is a big deal - sometimes I feel like I need more than my 150mm! Anyone selling a 170mm?!
    More than the old Nomad that I had. What was that 160mm?

The Hightower I'm riding these days has a 175 dropper. Addicting. But butt buzzing too.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Skeggs, Purisima, Briones, Kennedy, Pacifica, Montara, El Granada, all over Marin (go ride fire roads on north side of Sir Francis Drake!), hell I even know some really steep sh!t in San Francisco - I know where a lot of stuff like this is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16ddaba730fc598eb612fb785d5fe3c4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	1157443
    Skeggs was my home trail system when i lived on the peninsula and i rode it 2/week for a few years. Its pretty flat and mellow. fun for a rip around though.

As for fire roads. I guess. I always looked at them like groomers when skiing- fun to mach down every once in a while, but generally featureless and boring. certainly not worth the sweat equity to get to the top of them for me haha. To each their own though. Slack 6" bikes were def not made for that kind of riding haha.

mtbr member
    Skeggs was my home trail system when i lived on the peninsula and i rode it 2/week for a few years. Its pretty flat and mellow.
    You are definitely the 1st person I have ever heard call Skeggs flat!

As for fire roads. I guess. I always looked at them like groomers when skiing- fun to mach down every once in a while, but generally featureless and boring. certainly not worth the sweat equity to get to the top of them for me haha. To each their own though. Slack 6" bikes were def not made for that kind of riding haha.
    I think we are in agreement here - I said I can point you to steep and boring!

mtbr member

Why do 29ers still suck?

There is steep stuff all around, steep legal stuff is much harder to fine.

Trail Gnome Moderator

Same old situation here in the Bay, basically no new trails. To address your "the Bay Area is flat" statement...there might not be the feature built trails here, like there is in Bellingham but, the Bay Area is most definitely not flat. I'm not sure how you can think Skeggs is flat? When I ride there, I can ride 12-13 miles and end up with 3000'-3750' of elevation gain...how is that flat? The trails aren't very technical but, they're not flat.
    Don't even mention the legal trail options...we all know there aren't any here
    Let's move this discussion over here:
    Is the Bay Area flat?

mtbr member
    Tiger Mtn 100%. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/tiger-mtn

Ride up Masterlink-Quick Link-Fireroad.

Descend East Tiger Summit, Off The Grid, Fully Rigid, Joyride

Then take NW timber out. that loop takes a little over 2 hours, and OTG is such a fun flowy trail.

Or do a lap or two at Tokul. it is shorter laps, and lower elevation so wont get snow if the top of tiger does. Just check Evergreenmtb.org. but i would highly reccomend those trails.
    Why no predator?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Why no predator?
    I dont know the guy/gal. When i moved to the PNW (skeggs was my home trails) i was borderline in over my head on Off the Grid my first ever lap. It was super fun though. Predator is a legit gnarly DH track that is waaaaay rougher and steeper and gnarly than OTG.

I linked the user to the trail map; If they shred, theyll see predator.

mtbr member
    Same old situation here in the Bay, basically no new trails. To address your "the Bay Area is flat" statement...there might not be the feature built trails here, like there is in Bellingham but, the Bay Area is most definitely not flat. I'm not sure how you can think Skeggs is flat? When I ride there, I can ride 12-13 miles and end up with 3000'-3750' of elevation gain...how is that flat? The trails aren't very technical but, they're not flat.
    Don't even mention the legal trail options...we all know there aren't any here
    Let's move this discussion over here:
    Is the Bay Area flat?
    This^. I climbed 5700 ft in a 25 mile ride at the Skeggs. I climbed a mile on shorter rides at both Tamarancho and the Demo forest also. So 'not' flat it hurts!
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    I'm shorter than the OP at 5'8" but also can't get into 29ers. To make sure I rented a Ripley LS, Norco Optic and some 29er hardtails and didn't like any of them compared to my 650B Giant Trance and rented SC Bronson. I felt 'on top' of all of them, found them clumsy to turn and jump and therefore not as confidence inspiring. I will gladly give up a little climbing and speed for the better handling and feel but I have no problem with others preferring 29ers. I'll probably end up with a new Transition Patrol soon to have a big hit bike to compliment my Trance.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I havenít tested any new/different bikes lately but, I thought I would revive this for PVD

NedwannaB
    I havenít tested any new/different bikes lately but, I thought I would revive this for PVD
    Maybe you should have him put together a new sled! You know how unique and eclectic his builds can be. :0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12