Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who's doing the Annadel Race?

The Annadel race is coming up August 17th.

I may volunteer to work the race this year instead of racing it-- Who's planning to be there?

Annadel | Bike Monkey
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Uncle
    I'll be @ wedding number 3 of 4 that weekend. Not too happy about this.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    I'll be @ wedding number 3 of 4 that weekend. Not too happy about this.
    Huh?
    Your third, but expecting a fourth? That's kinda pessimistic.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    My son and I are planning to race at Annadel. This will be our first time in the race, and we are looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Annadel 2011 was probably my favorite race ever. Loved the neutral-ish start in the center of town (single-speeders didn't love it). Enjoyed the course. Was rewarded for having a little local knowledge when a mixup in the background colors of the number plates got a portion of my class sent in the wrong direction by course marshalls

I had a cold beer in my hand like <90s after crossing the finish. Thanks, Lagunitas.

If you are considering, go for it.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Huh?
    Your third, but expecting a fourth? That's kinda pessimistic.
    Hahaha!!! That was exactly what I was thinking!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member

Re: Who's doing the Annadel Race?

Love Annadel and Bike Monkey, but it's such a fun place to ride, I would rather just ride for fun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My buddy and I will be there!

mtbr member
    Definitely. This is a fun race with a hairball start!

Here's my video from 2011:

My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    I'll be there. I think it's the best race around. Got tech, got super mega warp speed sections, you never climb for all that long in one section and it's all middle ring. All in all, Annadel rules. I missed it last year and was bummed!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    In for the 3rd season. Hoping to move up in the standings ever so closer to the podium.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not sure what category to register for. I raced U35 sportsman in the Sonoma series and that felt like where I was supposed to be, but Annadel offers the U35 Sport for the short course and for the long course its just Sport Open.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by npridmore View Post
    I'm not sure what category to register for. I raced U35 sportsman in the Sonoma series and that felt like where I was supposed to be, but Annadel offers the U35 Sport for the short course and for the long course its just Sport Open.
    Yeah I see that. And why can't Sport Women do the long course? Hhmmmm? I'd be questioning that.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

The hoff
    Mar 2010
    I will be there in the u18 juniors class and its my first race. Any advice?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    In for the 3rd season. Hoping to move up in the standings ever so closer to the podium.
    Same here. So....if it's like our last 2 outings, I guess I can take credit for moving you up a few spots then.

Uncle
    'Nother good vid, Hans. Can't believe the d'bag riding the sidewalk at the start. Looks like you made some good moves near the end.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member
    Have you all heard about the Annadel catch and release program? Find out more here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Any chance there's a GPX of the track for those of us (me) who have never ridden Annadel and would like to pre-ride the course this weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat09 View Post
    Any chance there's a GPX of the track for those of us (me) who have never ridden Annadel and would like to pre-ride the course this weekend?
    I'm planning on riding there at least one day this weekend, and could show you the course.
    Which course are you registered for?

Lusus Naturae
    Depends on your fitness level, npridmore.

I choose the shorter course since I'm already beat by the time I'm done with that. The downside is you end up in the way of a lot of pro/expert guys as they catch up from their long course and there's almost no room to let people pass on Ridge trail.

Also the short course allows me to get in the beer/food line sooner.

mtbr member

I will be there, Cat 1 U35. 11th last year, but that was my second mtb ride 5wks post knee surgery. Raced a tallboy last year....trying to decide if I should ride my highballC or tallboy LTc this year....
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The only climb I would want a full suspension on would be shultz, and the only downhill that I'd want a full suspension on would be cobblestone. Other than that it seems a hardtail would be the best bike for the race. That loose top part of lawndale (just before the forest) might be kinda hairy at race pace on a hardtail though...

mtbr member

A reg tallboyc. I remember lots of rocks and one really rocky fire road width DH towards the end of the race before getting back onto the path to the finish. Plan to ride the ht this coming week there if I can squeeze it in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ya there are most definitely some rocks involved. Thats a really hard decision though because both bikes would have definite strengths. While a the highball would be great to hammer up richardson, south burma, and shultz, after 35 miles and lots of rocks a hardtail may not sound like a very good idea if you've got a tallboy at home.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    they need an expert short course option

PRETENDURO
    I may or may not be there. I don’t exactly have the best bike for the race, so I am told (hardtail 29er). We’ll see…
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I may or may not be there. I don’t exactly have the best bike for the race, so I am told (hardtail 29er). We’ll see…
    Limiting factor being only the mellow neutral (haha) lead out down Sonoma Ave before you get up into the park proper. Unless you are on a FatBike then whomever told you was right.

mtbr member
    If I had a hardtail 29er I would ride it here over a short travel full squish. You'll get bounced around some but Annadel is not gnarly, its just bouncy in a few spots. I think the hardtail would def be faster than the full squish. Maybe not as fun but still plenty fun!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

NedwannaB
    ;
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    If I had a hardtail 29er I would ride it here over a short travel full squish. You'll get bounced around some but Annadel is not gnarly, its just bouncy in a few spots. I think the hardtail would def be faster than the full squish. Maybe not as fun but still plenty fun!
    Pre-rode the long today. My 56 yo back was longing for some susp towards the end down Marsh and Canyon.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | The Real McCoy-AXC Long Course pre-ride near Santa Rosa | Times and Records | Strava
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-11-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    ;

Pre-rode the long today. My 56 yo back was longing for some susp towards the end down Marsh and Canyon.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | The Real McCoy-AXC Long Course pre-ride near Santa Rosa | Times and Records | Strava
    Sweet! So would you pick a 29lb tallboy LTc or a 22lb highball?

mtbr member
    Pre-rode the long today
    We must having been chasing each other! Rode my SyCip hardtail... old school 26"

For a lot of the course, especially the road and the climbs, I find the hard tail better. But as you mention, my back started squawking by Marsh and Canyon.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member

Thanks for the feedback. I have done 35+ miles continuously on the HT and 56 miles during the Boggs 8hr twice (two person male team cat), but never on rocky terrain like Annadell. I don't get back issues and am 34. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    That's a really tough call.. if your tallboy were lighter I'd say 100% ride that. Can you put the highball wheels (or any light xc hoops) on it?
    I raced my Epic last year and it was perfect - couldn't imagine doing it on a hardtail. So much pedaling at high speed over rocky chunder..

NedwannaB
    Ended up at the lake for a swim after going up RGo and playing around on some other trails. Half way out and back paddle did wonders. Then I proceeded to almost fall asleep laying out to dry on the wood rail. Zzzzz

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I've done it on an aluminum hardtail 29er and a Tallboy. I'm going with the Tallboy again this year with some fast rolling tires. I lost too many places on the super rocky fire road at the end of the race when I was on the hard tail.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Same here. So....if it's like our last 2 outings, I guess I can take credit for moving you up a few spots then.
    Same place same time at bottom of Schultz??
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

Thanks guys.

The tallboy LTc already has carbon wheels because it has the float x shock, remote for front and rear suspension, beefier tires, and a few other more AM parts (grips, 203/180 rotors, triple crankset, etc), just can't get it much lighter....but I could put the carbon wheels with Xc racy tires and 160 rotors from my highball on. Would be over a pound less and roll faster. Gonna ride ht easy for 45 mins Friday when I go to pickup packet. Will decide then.

NedwannaB
    I don't know....I see you're a young gun(Cat 1 U35) I would think the Highball would be you're machine of choice instead of the "Long Travel" TB (not sure anybody caught that as I had to re-read your first post). Yes you could drop a pound off the TB, but the HB must be quite abit lighter, no?

I would think the HT would make way better time overall given the road flats and climbing than what you'd gain with the fs on the downs.

mtbr member

Thanks. I am 34, not feeling so young anymore, but long stints on the HT doesn't yet bother me. The last mile or so of fire road would certainly lend to a HT in a sprint for places.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Ended up at the lake for a swim after going up RGo and playing around on some other trails. Half way out and back paddle did wonders. Then I proceeded to almost fall asleep laying out to dry on the wood rail. Zzzzz

Good on you Old Man!!

Please try and kick ass as many youngins ass as you can !!
    GoGo wishin he was givin her like you are J-mac!!
    RIP IT !!
    Banned for showing Boobies.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Good on you Old Man!!

Please try and kick ass as many youngins ass as you can !!
    GoGo wishin he was givin her like you are J-mac!!
    RIP IT !!
    Hey, I never touched her, honest!

I'll be busy enuff trying to keep up with my fellow old ass's to worry about the youngens!

Thanks Gordon.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Same place same time at bottom of Schultz??
    I'm thinking I can get up top before your train rolls thru this year!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This will be my 3rd Annadel XC, I'll be on my Aluminum Highball, 1x10 setup w/ 100mm XFusion Slide 15TA, racing Open Sport long course and aiming to finish under 3 hrs.

Last year I raced the short course on a 29er SS w/ 80mm travel QR fork, suspension would have been more comfortable for sure but I felt like I lost more places when I was spun out on the flats and downhills as opposed to feeling like I was getting bounced around too much and not able to keep my line.

If I had to pick between a hardtail and fully and the hardtail was ~ 6lbs lighter, I would definitely go with the hardtail.

Can't wait for Saturday!!!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Leaving Folsom / Sacramento area at 5AM if anyone wants to car pool.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Lusus Naturae
    Will be there on a Scott Spark 10 wearing Firestone Walker jersey, most likely getting in your way on Ridge trail. This year I won't take a bong hit before the race so hope to do better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance View Post
    Will be there on a Scott Spark 10 wearing Firestone Walker jersey, most likely getting in your way on Ridge trail. This year I won't take a bong hit before the race so hope to do better.
    Bong rips and brews after the race, not before!!

Meth goes before the race.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ANyone know what the feed zone situation will be? Trying to decide if i'll need the hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gshock View Post
    ANyone know what the feed zone situation will be? Trying to decide if i'll need the hydration pack.
    Last year there was a feed/gu station at Lake Ilsanjo, the bottom of Lawndale and the entrance to Ridge. Also they hand out new podium chill water bottles at the bottom of Lawndale (thats for the long option)

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Bong rips and brews after the race, not before!!

Meth goes before the race.
    Cracked me up!!! Good stuff!!!

mtbr member
    I'll be one of the course marshals this year. Look for me at the end of the Spring Lake dam before you cross the parking lot.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast