mtbr member

Whiskeytown Nine To Five, Oct. 3

THE FINAL ROUND OF THE SOLO CUP SERIES with championships up for grabs in all solo categories! This event is a benefit for the Shasta County Search & Rescue Team

Maps, info, online entry, etc. are here: http://www.teambigfoot.net/24HrWT09.htm

SOLO CUP SERIES
    May 23, 12 Hours of Weaverville, Weaverville CA
    June 14, 12 Hours of Rim Nordic, Running Springs, CA
    July 4, 8 Hours of Independence, Philomath Oregon
    Aug. 1, Kirkwood Nine to Five, Kirkwood Resort, Lake Tahoe
    Aug. 22, 12 Hours of Humboldt, Arcata
    Oct. 3, Whiskeytown Nine to Five, Whiskeytown Lake, CA.

Championships will be awarded in all the categories listed below! The format is simple, we add up your miles from your races and whoever has the most in your category at the finals at Whiskeytown Lake in October is awarded with a championship trophy. Current standings are here: http://www.teambigfoot.net/solo_cup.htm

CHAMPIONSHIP CATEGORIES: Male Beginner, Male Sport, Male Expert, Male Pro, Male Jr (age17& under), Male Master (age 40+), Male Super Master (age 50+), Male Super Duper Master (age 60+), Female Jr.(age 17& under), Female Beginner, Female Sport, Female Expert/Pro, Male Clydesdale (200lb+), Tandem (2 riders), Unicycle, Male Singlespeed, Female Singlespeed

SCHEDULE: The 8 Hour is 9am to 5pm, Saturday, Oct. 3, The 24 Hours is 8:30am Saturday Oct. 3 to 8:30am Sunday, Oct. 4

COURSE:The course is 8.25 miles long with about 1450' of climbing. It's probably 75% singletrack, many riders call it their "favorite course of the year." Come see why!

RACE DAY ENTRY: Race Day entry is at the NEED Camp from 6:30-7am only and there is a $15 per rider late fee. Race day packet pick-up is 6:00 to 8:00 am. It's best to check-in the day before from 3pm to 7pm.

RIDERS MEETING: All solos and all team captains must attend the the riders meetings and we strongly suggest that all riders attend too. Knowing the rules and procedures is the responsibility of each rider.

DIRECTIONS: Whiskeytown Lake is 12 miles west of Redding off of Highway 299. Watch for a blue sign reading "Whiskeytown Visitor Center." Be sure to stop at the center and pay your $5 day fee. From the visitor center stay on the main road for about 3 miles, sign-up is at the NEED Camp.

Start/Finish Time & Location: The start/finish is in the NEED Camp . ONLY LAPS COMPLETED by 5pm for the 8hour or 8:30am for the 24 Hour will be counted.

RESULTS: We post current results periodically throughout the day, usually every hour or so. It is the responsibility of each solo rider and of each team to check those results for accuracy and to inform the Team Bigfoot timing staff of any descrpencies. The final results will be printed immediately after finish (5pm for the Nine to Five, 8:30am for the 24 Hours of WT), after which there is a fifteen minute protest period. Any missed laps, incorrect times, etc. MUST be reported within that fifteen minutes. Once that fifteen minutes passes the results will be declared official and NO FURTHER CHANGES WILL BE MADE.

AWARDS: We'll have medals for 1st, 2nd & 3rd in all categories. We'll also raffle off some cool sponsor schwag. The better you and your team do, the more raffle tickets you'll get.

CAMPING: There are many campsites in the Whiskeytown Lake recreation Area. Contact Whiskeytown Ranger Station (530) 275-1587, or on the web go to http://totalescape.com/active/campstuff/NF/shasta.html

BUNKHOUSES: Rather not camp? We've reserved a block of bunk houses right at the race venue. They sleep 8, and come with access to bathrooms and showers, all for only $50. Available Friday and Saturday night. Reserve early, there's a limited number of cabins. To avoid double booking cabins they will only be available through on-line registration. Visit www.teambigfoot.net to reserve yours.

WEATHER: Fall at Whiskeytown is usually 70s or 80s in the day.

NO ALCOHOL OR DOGS ARE ALLOWED IN THE NEED CAMP: If you gotta have your pooch and your brew consider staying at Horse Camp. It's only a half mile from the NEED Camp and the course runs right by it. It's a $10 per night per vehicle group camp with a pit toilet and running water. We'll reserve it for the races and it will hold a dozens of vehicles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

jms
    mtbr member

I'll be there!

Great course and venue. I'll be there!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Stoked

I'm down! BTW, the "download a course map" link points to the registration page. Unless I am missing it, there is no course map there.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Great course and venue. I'll be there!!!
    Good luck! Look at them trophies!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard nothing but good things about Vic's races.

fc
    IPA will save America

jms
    mtbr member

I'm in it for the tortilla chips

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Look at them trophies!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard nothing but good things about Vic's races.

fc
    Trophies shomphies. I'm in for the tortilla chips baby!

Whiskeytown is my multi-lap endurance course in California, there's a bit of everything along the way on each lap:

A bit of a rooty-techy climb followed by a fast sweeping sidehill descent through some dry [usually], rocky stream crossings, leading to a "rampy" service road climb. Next up, a babyhead infested service road descent and climb to the rolly-polly, oh so fun, ditch [?] singletrack. A road crossing leads to a more singletrack climbing and descending along some sandier singletrack. reaching the back of the course, the track turns faster, much rockier and technical around and through more stream beds. Short steep climbs follow equally sharp drops ad dives out to another fast service road descent to the hike a bike hill. Then more sinuous, banked singletrack to a final service road and short singletrack section back to the start finish. Full suspension is a good choice @ Whiskeytown, though hardtails will work @ this course too, the saddle can wind up tasting pretty bad by the end of eight hours out there.

It's a great lap! The opening climb is the only section that has me wanting to pluck out Bigfoot's toenails out with pliers by the end of the day [If only.......... ] Definitely worth the effort for the descents.

As for amenities and support, this is Vic's best venue. The cabins are great - like if that first date thing @ Humboldt went well, y'all can have some privacy in one of the cabins. They're big enough for groups [if that's how you, ahem, swing] and there's even bars on the cots/bed frames [I think Vic rents hand cuffs for a nominal fee, or polaroids of your moments together]. Big Fun!

There's showers, a huge lawn, a great raffle, and a nice BBQ and awards ceremony after the race. I always look forward to this race. I'm just hoping the Isthmus of Armijo is drained this year - 3" of rain overnight prior to the race last year made for a number of not so dry stream crossings.

Whiskeytown is definitely a fun trip and race. Hope to see some of you out there too.
    Last edited by jms; 09-01-2009 at 10:45 AM.

MSH
    mtbr member
    My one and only podium finish last year!...granted there were only 10-ish peeps in Sport class.
    Had a blast last year at this one in the mud and slop trying to keep up with jms...who of course crushed me by 40+ min after it was all said and done. It really is a fantastic course as already described.

Anyway, the race shouldn't be missed!
    My bike will be happy to miss it though....Chainsuck damage was so bad at the end of the 8 hours that Sean at Soulcraft had to repair and respray the frame.

I'll have to sit this one out unfortunately...I'll be busy hauling my daughter around in her new Chariot trailer. We are in training for next years Whiskeytown 9-5. Vic is adding a "+ Bike Trailer" category to the event next year.

MSH

aka dan51
    Sounds fun, I think we're in.
    After missing Boggs, and being dumped on at Cool I want to get at least one endurance race in.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    The good folks from the Redding Mountain Bike Club have just put in a bunch of time on the Brandy Creek Trail. That flowing bit o'singletrack is going to be even more fun than usual!

http://www.teambigfoot.net/24HrWT09.ht

mtbr member

Bummer!!

That's the same weekend as Levi Leipheimer's "Grand Fondo" in Santa Rosa. We will be doing the timing with Global Biorhythm events along with Carlos from Bike Monkey and some 3500 riders. We were thinking it was the next weekned. Didn't know they were they same weekend.
    Keep up the good work Vic!!

jms
    mtbr member

Hold the Cheese Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke69
    That's the same weekend as Levi Leipheimer's "Grand Fondo" in Santa Rosa.
    So. That's a ROAD ride.
    Bet there's no singletrack, drops, rock chutes, hike a bike section, "Isthmus of Armijo" [God forbid], Border Collie's, or [SIZE="2"]DIRT[/SIZE] on "Levi's Grand Fondue"....... French food BLOWS anyway.
    Just gonna be a bunch of pinched roadie poseurs trading inflated power meter readings and leg shaving tips @ the rest stops. Yeah, it's a great cause and all, but aren't there enough people sniffing Levi's chamois at this point? Like, aren't @ 3500 noses currently buried up that particular backside?
    The whole sycophant/minor celebrity thing is beyond me. It's not like after the ride, Levi and the wife are going to invite you back to the house, clear a formerly abused Chihuahua or two off the couch, and serve canapes'. At least with Bigfoot there'll be some real personal attention: nothing say's, "I love you man", like trading insults through the start/finish every lap of an endurance race. Is there no love for mountain bikes, Redding and the beehive hairdo?
    "F" the lycra clad smurf and his entourage. Gimme dirt! Gimme singletrack! Gimme a push up that fricken climb after 6 laps! Viva Bigfoot! Viva Whiskeytown!

Note: for those contentious souls out there offended by this post, I'm not serious, I've just misplaced my meds.
    Last edited by jms; 09-23-2009 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Thanks

This post made my day and it is only 8:39AM.

So. That's a ROAD ride.
    Bet there's no singletrack, drops, rock chutes, hike a bike section, "Isthmus of Armijo" [God forbid], Border Collie's, or [SIZE="2"]DIRT[/SIZE] on "Levi's Grand Fondue"....... French food BLOWS anyway.
    Just gonna be a bunch of pinched roadie poseurs trading inflated power meter readings and leg shaving tips @ the rest stops. Yeah, it's a great cause and all, but aren't there enough people sniffing Levi's chamois at this point? Like, aren't @ 3500 noses currently buried up that particular backside?
    The whole sycophant/minor celebrity thing is beyond me. It's not like after the ride, Levi and the wife are going to invite you back to the house, clear a formerly abused Chihuahua or two off the couch, and serve canapes'. At least with Bigfoot there'll be some real personal attention: nothing say's, "I love you man", like trading insults through the start/finish every lap of an endurance race. Is there no love for mountain bikes, Redding and the beehive hairdo?
    "F" the lycra clad smurf and his entourage. Gimme dirt! Gimme singletrack! Gimme a push up that fricken climb after 6 laps! Viva Bigfoot! Viva Whiskeytown!

Note: for those contentious souls out there offended by this post, I'm not serious, I've just misplaced my meds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Well since you took so much of your time to type that... what the heck.

So. That's a ROAD ride.

I don't ride road bikes. But have you been to a bike monkey, or global rhythm event?

Just saying is all.

jms
    mtbr member

Levi is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    I don't ride road bikes. But have you been to a bike monkey, or global rhythm event?

Just saying is all.
    Levi? Loki. Hmmmm. Is that you Levi? Sorry about the Chihuahua and short jokes dude, but ya know, you've got your own website and all for your sold out road ride, thousands of adoring fans, and this thread was @ the Whiskeytown 9 to 5 Mountain Bike Race.

Am I going to have more credibility if I say how many Bike Monkey events I've done [4]? How about if I tell you I have a road bike? How about if I casually mention I've ridden Skeggs Springs Rd? Maybe tossing out that my first "century" was the Death Ride would help. Are we good now?

Personally, I prefer actually racing a mountain bike @ Whiskeytown, than pretend racing a @ road bike at the charity gig. See, the whole being polite while some sanctimonious dude on a road bike is trying to proverbially dry hump me like my aunt's adolescent beagle, to "win" the charity ride, gets tedious. FAST. But that's just me.

And the whole passive-aggressive "just saying" thing there Levi, what are you saying?

mtbr member
    John, your my hero. Just saying...

See ya @ Whiskeytown!

P.S. Don't get mad if I draft.

mtbr member

Crazy Dude!!

I was just saying it would have be nice to come to Vic's event but it land's on the same day as Levis. If John's there and is hammering on a bikeMonkey event or a Global Biorhythm events. Not good PR of Vic .I guess I will have the riders here pass on that event.
    John take your med's!!