Puro Vida!

Where's TSP??? Anyone riding this nice Hot weekend?

Where is everyone? Are we going to have to do a 'where are they now?' thread soon? Do anyone riding this weekend? Been a while since I've been on the road bike-may need to go that route-also anyone doing the Mt. Tam Dirt Fondo coming up? I think some people are racing around that date-luckily for me I'm way to slow to be racing so thinking about trying this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm riding Sunday morning. Let's do Nisene.

rho
    Life is strange
    I'm gonna be heading over the hill on the cx bike, on sat morning me thinks. hitting up some epic fire road decents/climbs. YEEEEHAW.

Puro Vida!
    Where's Nisene?

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Where's Nisene?
    Santa Cruz. The Forest of Nisene Marks is adjacent to Demo.

Puro Vida!
    Don't tease me-let's go!

Is this thing on?
    Ales & Trails at China Camp Home
    Drink beer and thrash other peoples bikes.

Trail Blazer
    im down for sunday nisene if i can hitch a ride!

Wēk Sôs
    Don't tease me-let's go!
    think i'm going to be anti-social and grind some road and a bit of dirt. too damn hot this weekend, so hoping i can get an early ride in. i almost never get out early so who knows and if it gets too hot i'm just going to get drunk.

you're welcome to join if you like, but you'll have to wait for me. mission peak steepness, about 6k+ 50+ miles in 4 climbing spurts....but i talk alot of **** and can't execute.

i've not been in the mood to drive to a trail lately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm running from the hot weather, as well. I think SC is the place.

Puro Vida!
    WTH!!! You guys can't handle the heat???? Waaah! Let's do Kennedy at high noon or STP and include Joyce trail!!! Why 12-let's start at 2 pm!
    SC sounds good too! Road ride??? Saturday??

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Any way to convince you to ride on saturday instead? I can't do sunday.

rho
    Life is strange
    WTH!!! You guys can't handle the heat???? Waaah! Let's do Kennedy at high noon or STP and include Joyce trail!!! Why 12-let's start at 2 pm!
    I'm heading over the hill on the cx bike saturday morning if you're interested. Leaving 9ish, up lgct, old sc highway to aptos creek fire road to sc then back that way or up soquel sj rd or something.

Wēk Sôs
    Why 12-let's start at 2 pm!
    that's siesta time. what's wrong with you???

Puro Vida!
    Siesta is 2-4 and all day Thursday's!

mtbr member
    Siesta is 2-4 and all day Thursday's!
    I'll be your Kennedy weekend huckleberry !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did I hear Nisene/Demo? I'll check back after tonight's PR ride and see what you guys decided on.

SJhiker, me and few other members might do something biggish on Saturday if you're interested. Pace will be somewhat social.

Puro Vida!
    Kennedy never fails me-thanks Rascal!
    Maybe we can get a saturday and a Sunday ride going? Bassn details!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Depends on how long you're riding on Saturday. My limit is about 30mi or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Kennedy never fails me-thanks Rascal!
    Maybe we can get a saturday and a Sunday ride going? Bassn details!
    I'll have more details later today. Our route and destination is undecided right now. What we do know, leaving the area and heading towards cooler stomping grounds will be in order

Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Depends on how long you're riding on Saturday. My limit is about 30mi or so.
    30 miles on dirt is a good solid ride.

Puro Vida!
    So what's the plan for Sunday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Any way to convince you to ride on saturday instead? I can't do sunday.
    The running joke with me, is, I need one keyboard shortcut that says, "I have to work..." because I work nearly every day of the week. Don't get paid for those days, but hey, fcuk my life! Commission based jobs = free work + lots of hope and desperation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I'm heading over the hill on the cx bike saturday morning if you're interested. Leaving 9ish, up lgct, old sc highway to aptos creek fire road to sc then back that way or up soquel sj rd or something.
    Big CX ride sounds cherry - if I didn't have to work, I'd join you on that. Is this what... a 70miler? All y'all need CX bikes.
    So what's the plan for Sunday?
    What do you want to do? Now I'm leaning more towards Wilder loop - need single track. Fire roads, don't need. I don't know the route from Nisene to Demo, because usually we turn the Nisene climb to a CX ride. I went through Demo once with my bro, but can't remember the loop.

You need a CX bike. TJ knows! I know Brett is throwing one together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The running joke with me, is, I need one keyboard shortcut that says, "I have to work..." because I work nearly every day of the week. Don't get paid for those days, but hey, fcuk my life! Commission based jobs = free work + lots of hope and desperation.

Big CX ride sounds cherry - if I didn't have to work, I'd join you on that. Is this what... a 70miler? All y'all need CX bikes.

What do you want to do? Now I'm leaning more towards Wilder loop - need single track. Fire roads, don't need. I don't know the route from Nisene to Demo, because usually we turn the Nisene climb to a CX ride. I went through Demo once with my bro, but can't remember the loop.

If I don't ride on Saturday I'll be glad to join you guys for Nisene/Demo loop. We could easily get 35 miles and over 5k worth of climbing.

rho
    Life is strange

Hell to the yes on the cx bikes. You can do everything around here on a cx bike, aside from some of demo, some of you see and skeggs.

But as for dirt, you can climb aptos creek fire road with a road bike on 23's or 25s, so if anyone wants to join we can head down soquel-sj road, get lunch and then have a stupid ride back up the dirt to the ultimate goal of pie at the summit store!

mtbr member

2 guy's climbing

LG man and I are prolly hitting Limekiln/overgrown in the shade/part way Saturday morning 9:15 ish to El Sombroso for an out and back for 3k of up. Out and back to the woods/Kennedy intersection in pic for 2750 from alma bridge rd. Add a bit to go to Sombroso. Where's TSP??? Anyone riding this nice Hot weekend?-0728121233-1.jpg

PRETENDURO
    Looks like I’ll be riding my singlespeed at STCP Saturday morning. Anyone else interested in a sufferfest? I’m planning on being at the Harry@Camden trailhead entrance around 9:00AM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Puro Vida!

Well funny thing is the contractor working on the house really wants my Scott road bike-so if we work a deal out-I was going to either buy another road bike or possibly a CX. I really do like road riding though-maybe ill build one up either way-hopefully by winter. I also want to build up a SS so may have to toss a coin.
    Not sure about riding that far on Saturday and then going out again Sunday-thanks though-my son just came down with a sore throat last night so need to see how he is doing by Sunday. I was thinking of possibly riding my old Cannondale M900 SS to St. Joes from my place to see how I do up-baby steps-was toying with just going to Kennedy-but I know failure would be waiting for me there. So if my son is doing better Ill either do a road ride to Kennedy, SS to St Joes-early in the A.M.-otherwise my son wakes up and I end up not leaving. Sunday---Dion-you choose the route or if anyone can lead us? Let's go out and have some fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    LG man and I are prolly hitting Limekiln/overgrown in the shade/part way Saturday morning 9:15 ish to El Sombroso for an out and back for 3k of up. Out and back to the woods/Kennedy intersection in pic for 2750 from alma bridge rd. Add a bit to go to Sombroso. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0728121233-1.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	716159
    You should expand your horizons & ride something over the hill, 30 minute drive to cool weather and kick ass single track, just saying in case you ever get tired of riding hot fire roads with Nat's swirling around your face
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    You should expand your horizons & ride something over the hill, 30 minute drive to cool weather and kick ass single track, just saying in case you ever get tired of riding hot fire roads with Nat's swirling around your face
    We do hit Demo,Skeggs and the Gap but only on occasion. This prolly sounds crazy but LG man and I like Sierra Azul. We have a terminal case of "Porkstacker syndrome"

rho
    Life is strange
    Well funny thing is the contractor working on the house really wants my Scott road bike-so if we work a deal out-I was going to either buy another road bike or possibly a CX.
    I highly recommend the CX bike. you can build it with road gearing and with road tires (and discs! or mini-v's) or a compact crank and a road cassette, and its 99% as fast as a full on road bike and much more able to do all around stuff.
    Especially because all these stupid road frames now have frames that can barely clear a 25c tire.

Get two wheel sets, a fast light set for roadie tires and a sturdier set with knobbies for dirt shenanigans.

Puro Vida!
    I highly recommend the CX bike. you can build it with road gearing and with road tires (and discs! or mini-v's) or a compact crank and a road cassette, and its 99% as fast as a full on road bike and much more able to do all around stuff.
    Especially because all these stupid road frames now have frames that can barely clear a 25c tire.

Get two wheel sets, a fast light set for roadie tires and a sturdier set with knobbies for dirt shenanigans.
    What are a couple good frames to look at? I think I"ll probably build one up.

Wēk Sôs

I'm building one with the above plan, it should be awesome if I'm strong enough to handle it. The only downside is the gearing. I picked 50/34 front and 11-28 rear, as I'm not strong enough to climb these stupid roads without low gearing. I don't think it's low enough though. The only thing I fear is that I won't be able to climb dirt with this setup, but these roads are just as steep so I don't know yet. I guess I'll get stronger as I stop every hundred feet of elevation at 34-28 to find a lung, but it sure sounds like a world of hurt. 12% grade, 34-28...shudder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You'll be just fine. Just think you're on a single speed. Only issue is that on loose stuff you need to stay seated for the most part unless you're good at balancing weight as you transition from sitting to mashing.

I'm 34/28 as my granny and I'm ok for the most part, except for the Stanford side of mission peak. Also, don't forget you can always run a 32 with a long cage rd or even a triple with a 28 in the rear. Whatever lets you enjoy your ride, do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Robert: Sell your road bike and get a CX! It's the only "road bike" I have. I think TJ is in the same boat. I think it would be sweet to do these epic dual sport rides as a group. Right now it's just TJ and me from TSP.

Okay, so Luis says he's down for Sunday. Let's do the single track we missed in Wilder - I know we didn't do some of the trails in there - I'm thinkin gthe traditional Wilder loop, maybe exit through UCSC, and do the tour. This time we can throw in a tour of SC.

In the morning, I gotta go be a Catholic and hit up mass at 7:30am... I'll be out at 8:30am and probably can get down to SC by 10:00am. You guys good with that? OR. We can car pool. My car only fit's two bikes - Robert, shall we bring the Chebby?

Who else is down?

Puro Vida!
    Now we're talkin! Come on Holland and go ride! Sounds like a plan-just had the Chevy worked on for just such an occasion. I can take Dion and up to 1-2 more depending on how much we want to get to know each other! Kind of like the Francois man soup picture-I have a bench seat up front-and the one in the back-
    Dion-so youre going to St Leo's? You going to bring your bike and I drive from my place? Anyone else? Meeting spot somewhere like last time for everyone?
    On another note-hopefully I can work out a deal for my Scott with this guy-otherwise I'll still get a CX-just may take a bit longer. I can't fund another build that quick without pushing my luck-I just got my Chineese carbon rims-so need to build up the wheels for the Pivot. I may also put the Enduro frame and shock up for sale to see if I can sell it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Now we're talkin! Come on Holland and go ride! Sounds like a plan-just had the Chevy worked on for just such an occasion. I can take Dion and up to 1-2 more depending on how much we want to get to know each other! Kind of like the Francois man soup picture-I have a bench seat up front-and the one in the back-
    Dion-so youre going to St Leo's? You going to bring your bike and I drive from my place? Anyone else? Meeting spot somewhere like last time for everyone?
    On another note-hopefully I can work out a deal for my Scott with this guy-otherwise I'll still get a CX-just may take a bit longer. I can't fund another build that quick without pushing my luck-I just got my Chineese carbon rims-so need to build up the wheels for the Pivot. I may also put the Enduro frame and shock up for sale to see if I can sell it.
    HA! Dude, you think I'll trust my bike to be sitting in the St. Leo's ghetto parking lot with the crackheads around the corner?!

How about it? 9:30am at your house?

I'll just come home after mass, grab my stuff, and go to your house. PM us your address!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Right now it's just TJ and me from TSP.

Lies.

Also, Sunday will be my last day to ride in San Jose. Wooooooooooooo! or is it AWWWWWW?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Lies.

Also, Sunday will be my last day to ride in San Jose. Wooooooooooooo! or is it AWWWWWW?
    Just like your cousin, the Yeti, I rarely see the indigenous Ginger Sasquatch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    True. Damn work and moving. I'm making it a point to ride with y'all on sunday. Don't care where it is. I'll be the hefty fella. Packed on some pounds this summer :/

Trail Blazer
    . I can take Dion and up to 1-2 more depending on how much we want to get to know each other! Kind of like the Francois man soup picture-I have a bench seat up front-and the one in the back-
    I would have to roll with you guys if i am going. so please save me a seat and pm the final details. thanks!

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I'm building one with the above plan, it should be awesome if I'm strong enough to handle it. The only downside is the gearing. I picked 50/34 front and 11-28 rear, as I'm not strong enough to climb these stupid roads without low gearing. I don't think it's low enough though. The only thing I fear is that I won't be able to climb dirt with this setup, but these roads are just as steep so I don't know yet. I guess I'll get stronger as I stop every hundred feet of elevation at 34-28 to find a lung, but it sure sounds like a world of hurt. 12% grade, 34-28...shudder.
    you can also run mtb touring cranks for a 28 or so low and a 42ish "middle" ring, or just go full retro grouch and get a road touring tripple for low gearing. Heck run a medium cage and a mtb 32 tooth rear and you can spin up a lot of stuff.

Only issue is that with the mtb cassette you almost have to run a double up front to use a medium cage mech or use a long cage with a tripple or greater than a 10 - 16tooth difference.

Sent by smoke signal.

Puro Vida!
    Can I build a CX with the parts off my Enduro-I have a XTR triple 9 speed crankset and rear dérailleur and cassette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can I build a CX with the parts off my Enduro-I have a XTR triple 9 speed crankset and rear dérailleur and cassette.
    I don't think the BB spacing will be correct. The "Ride with the Wife Bike" (my Leader frame that I raced at Sea Otter) is now fully outfitted with 29'er wheels. They friggin' FIT! (with 700 X 37 tires). So, go get yourself a Surly Cross Check and take your MTB parts and trasfer them over. Then, grab a set of 29'er wheels with some CX tires and mount them. They will WORK.

In fact, Brett is building his Leader 510H frame into a pseudo CX monster death machine whatchmacallit.

mtbr member
    I'd be up for TSP Wilder Sunday (plus some extras ). What time and where? Any carpool from San Jose?

Bassn, my riding Wilder Sunday wouldn't preclude me from riding it Sat too, if Wilder's what the group decides on.

-Tosa

mtbr member
    I dunno man; some local road bike club (hint from San Jose) member might tell you to get a real bike as you pass them

Puro Vida!
    [QUOTE=Dion;9581948]I don't think the BB spacing will be correct. The "Ride with the Wife Bike" (my Leader frame that I raced at Sea Otter) is now fully outfitted with 29'er wheels. They friggin' FIT! (with 700 X 37 tires). So, go get yourself a Surly Cross Check and take your MTB parts and trasfer them over. Then, grab a set of 29'er wheels with some CX tires and mount them. They will WORK.

In fact, Brett is building his Leader 510H frame into a pseudo CX monster death machine whatchmacallit.[/QUOTE
    Jenson is sold out til end of month. I think I can almost build one with parts from my bikes. I'll have to get more info from you. If I can use my Enduro drivetrain that would be good-and if I only need wheels for the most part-ill hold on to my Scott. Maybe I'll order some Chinese carbon rims this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tushar, it looks like the group will be hitting up Wilder tomorrow. If anyone is interested in the ride feel free to chime in. The pace will be flowy and fun. So far it will be me, Craig, John, Dpham, Tosa, and Mbolt. SJhiker? Nelson? Any others?

I'll start another thread to get a bit more exposure...

mtbr member
    Robert, you got room for me Sunday?

Puro Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Robert, you got room for me Sunday?
    Pm sent

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alright. I'm down for Wilder Sunday. 9:30am at Robert's house - we'll do the classic loop-a-roni.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    YES. Shimano 9 speed, both road and mtb, share the same cable pul. 10speed is different.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. MTB geo is way slacker than CX.DO NOT buy a mtb frame to make into a pseudo cx thing. Please, do not get a Cross Check. If you get dick brakes, get a Soma Double Cross DC. And yes, the BB will work. Just follow the tech docs to see where to put the spacers on the bb for 68mm shell.

Also, no chinese carbon on CX bike. Typically heavier than a good aluminum hoop. Just find something with a inner width of 20 to 23mm to make those CX tires awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP tomooooorow for those not going to Wilder. Meet 9:00am, Harry and Camden. Single speeds.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    YES. Shimano 9 speed, both road and mtb, share the same cable pul. 10speed is different.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. MTB geo is way slacker than CX.DO NOT buy a mtb frame to make into a pseudo cx thing. Please, do not get a Cross Check. If you get dick brakes, get a Soma Double Cross DC. And yes, the BB will work. Just follow the tech docs to see where to put the spacers on the bb for 68mm shell.

Also, no chinese carbon on CX bike. Typically heavier than a good aluminum hoop. Just find something with a inner width of 20 to 23mm to make those CX tires awesome.
    Pretty much that.
    The dirty disco looks awesome as well.

Almost bought a double cross DC, but couldn't find one built up in a shop to actually ride one.
    Only reason for that was i was inbetween frame size for a 56cm and a 58cm on my kona JTS. 56cm felt better, but had toe overlap, 58 felt good but no toe overlap. went with the 58 and its been gravy. got some 46cm bars and some decent brakes and its been all good.

Cross check isn't a bad bike, good riding frame, might be a little flexy though. I looked at a few other bikes in the generic AL frame/carpet fiber fork/ultregra/105 range, but they all felt fairly similar. I think steel is the way to go for a cruise around/road/dirt rig. With Discs.

Also, for what its worth, I'd run a square taper bb or something to keep the q-factor down from an external bearing mountain bike bb. Or a roadie crank.

Also! I think 9sp might be the way to go for shifters and in the rear (for utility and all around riding and stuff) The 10sp stuff is nice when its clean and lubed up, but I've found its far more sensitive to getting dirty as well as being dependent on the condition of the cables and housings and chain and all that stuff. Heck, after 20 miles in the dirt and dust it starts to shift like crap.
    Last edited by rho; 08-10-2012 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Double cross FTW.

Puro Vida!
    Dirty Disco may be the ticket

Trail Blazer
    I just got a vassago fisticuff frame and fork but Im not sure how I want to set it up.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinHigh View Post
    I just got a vassago fisticuff frame and fork but Im not sure how I want to set it up.
    I'd assume with wheels, pedals, some sort of bars, breaks, seat and some sort of way to propel oneself onward towards the setting sun.

Looks like it'd be a fun cx bike. or a fun monster cross bike. Good stuff all around anyways!

First question...
    Disc or rim brakes.

Second question
    Gears or SS.

Third question
    flat bar or drop bar or mountain drops?

PRETENDURO
    It’s 59°F right now at 7:24AM. Should be 94°F by 3:00PM. Therefore, the morning should be nice and tolerable at STCP. See you there at 9:00AM!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    SINGLESPEEDS (today).

mtbr member
    SINGLESPEEDS (today).
    Every day is SS's day ! 9:30 @ Limekiln/overgrown 2 day for some of us.

Trail Blazer
    I'd assume with wheels, pedals, some sort of bars, breaks, seat and some sort of way to propel oneself onward towards the setting sun.

Looks like it'd be a fun cx bike. or a fun monster cross bike. Good stuff all around anyways!

First question...
    Disc or rim brakes.

Second question
    Gears or SS.

Third question
    flat bar or drop bar or mountain drops?
    hmm i guess that makes sense

1) disc! im gonna get some bb7's for it

2) gears. im going to turn my rigid 29er back to ss and use the cassette and rear der. 11-34, sram x7 rd. i also want to throw on an old crankset i got. its a truvativ stylo isis 44-32-22.

3) i think the mountain drops look pretty cool but because im broke i'll probably go flat bar because i have some already. but i really want the drop bar setup which means i would have to buy some bars and shifters.

hopefully it all works out

PRETENDURO
    Was a great ride this morning. A bit shorter than I usually ride, but on a singlespeed I suppose that’s a good thing:

Trail Blazer
    my front brake died on me. i have another one but im having trouble getting it right. am i going to be ok running a rear break only at wilder? ride is still on right?

Puro Vida!

... and if we just ...

SINGLESPEEDS (today).
    I cheated and ran gears

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    my front brake died on me. i have another one but im having trouble getting it right. am i going to be ok running a rear break only at wilder? ride is still on right?
    Hydraulic or mech? What's wrong? I can hook you up before we leave.

BTW, I did my Catholic duties and attended 5:00pmass today. So you guys down to meet at Robert's a little earlier? Say 9:15 or so?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Oh heck no. Tht is never a fine idea.

Fc

Puro Vida!
    Only if you wanna stop! But who wants to stop??? Let me know if we leave earlier-that would be good! Also everyone-please text me when you get to my place-DON'T knock on the door-otherwise you'll wake HIM! And that's a no no!

Wēk Sôs
    DON'T knock on the door-otherwise you'll wake HIM! And that's a no no!
    Are you still living with your dad?

Trail Blazer
    well i got the front one on, its a hydro. now my rear got messed up while i went out to test the front. my rear brake is a bb7. the little clamp thingy that holds the pads in got bent. Dion, would you happen to have a spare one of those? im going to try and make it to performance before they close to get some new pads.

ahh nevermind they closed already!

Trail Blazer
    ok so i just got back from barely making it to sport chalet. they were closing but the nice lady let me in real quick. there was only 1 set of pads! i got sooo lucky!! all is well now, see you guys tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Word!

Puro Vida!
    So what time???

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be at your house at around 9:15/9:20. This time, we'll park at my parent's house, which is only a mile away from where we parked last time. Our cars (with our stuff inside) will be safe there.

Trail Blazer
    Tushar, Robert, Dion. You guys rock.
    Thanks for everything. I still had fun despite the mishaps.
    Sorry our ride got cut short.

mtbr member
    Tushar, Robert, Dion. You guys rock.
    Thanks for everything. I still had fun despite the mishaps.
    Sorry our ride got cut short.
    Luis, no worries...got to know Wilder a little better, and good to know we can fix a bike on the trails

Robert, thanks for the ride!

Dion, let's do it again...next time we'll get the trails right!

Members who have read this thread: 0