Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sweat is just fat crying.

Where are the NorCal rides next Sunday (the 16th)?

I believe no more needs to be said?

fp

Edit: Anybuddy wanna go up to Chico & ride Bidwell a couple times???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Well, I'm shuttling on Saturday in Auburn at the OHV. I am going to hit the trails on Sunday but I have no idea where to ride(kinda tired of riding Salmon Falls). I have never ridden Bidwell in Chico. I can't commit just yet as the wife as not advised me of our plans. Run it by Big Boulder and Jilm.

Cool Picture. My German Shepard would give up the balancing thing and drink it.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    A woman with a flat head is what you're looking for. Ride content? Can't ride. Bay to Breakers on Sunday. Naked people that should not be naked.

pewpewpew Moderator
    also this weekend is 24 hours of montery cheese

SS Clyde 29er

I'll be riding...and riding..at..

The 24 Hrs of Adrenaline (www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/), race at Laguna Seca. Come on out and help push my arse up da hill, (ladies only plz ;-)). ~Hasta

mtbr member

Lookatthegrouse...lookathegrouse!

Grouse Ridge this Sunday!...Early!
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Allways ride safe!!
    Jan 2004

Ahhhhh! Big Boulder Holder Lives!

Yo dog!

I'm down for dat!
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

Radio Commercial

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Where the heck is it and what's the estimated mileage? If I go, I want to bring enough water so I don't have to drink out of a stream and get napalm of the a@@ like I got while riding at Salmon Falls a few Sundays back.
    PipeHittersUnion

Medium?

Dude!

Read a couple of these, then tell me if dehydration is really that bad of a deal. These scary little critters are living in you now.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...iardia&spell=1

Woah!

Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Where the heck is it and what's the estimated mileage? If I go, I want to bring enough water so I don't have to drink out of a stream and get napalm of the a@@ like I got while riding at Salmon Falls a few Sundays back.
    Did you really get sick? God, I hope not.

Jilm and I stopped at REI on the way home & I bought a filter. You may use it. For a fat fee.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Duuuuude, I got alittle sick. I had napalm of the broiwn eye for a few days and I didn't eat alot that whole week. I feel better now. My wife told me I was a jack ass and that I should get some purification pills. I will have to get some before this weekend.

I ordered a bigger Camelback(HAWG) so I can carry more food and a water bottle. I don't like carrying water bottles on my bike.
    PipeHittersUnion

Wow.

This is some scary sh!t (pun intended). I didn't realize it was so prevalent and omnipotent. Jilm, you owe me

fp

Giardiasis
    (GEE-are-DYE-uh-sis)
    What is giardiasis?
    Giardiasis (GEE-are-DYE-uh-sis) is a diarrheal illness caused by Giardia intestinalis (also known as Giardia lamblia), a one-celled, microscopic parasite that lives in the intestine of people and animals. The parasite is passed in the stool of an infected person or animal. The parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body and in the environment for long periods of time. During the past 2 decades, Giardia has become recognized as one of the most common causes of waterborne disease (drinking and recreational) in humans in the United States. The parasite is found in every region of the United States and throughout the world.

What are the symptoms of giardiasis?
    Symptoms include diarrhea, loose or watery stool, stomach cramps, and upset stomach. These symptoms may lead to weight loss and dehydration. Some people have no symptoms.

How long after infection do symptoms appear?
    Symptoms generally begin 1-2 weeks after being infected.

How long will symptoms last?
    In otherwise healthy persons, symptoms may last 2-6 weeks. Occasionally, symptoms last longer.

How is giardiasis spread?
    Giardia lives in the intestine of infected humans or animals. Millions of germs can be released in a bowel movement from an infected human or animal. You can become infected after accidentally swallowing the parasite. Giardia may be found in soil, food, water, or surfaces that have been contaminated with the feces from infected humans or animals. Giardia is not spread by contact with blood. Giardia can be spread:

By putting something in your mouth or accidentally swallowing something that has come in contact with the stool of a person or animal infected with Giardia.
    By swallowing recreational water contaminated with Giardia. Recreational water is water in swimming pools, hot tubs, jacuzzis, fountains, lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, or streams that can be contaminated with sewage or feces from humans or animals.
    By eating uncooked food contaminated with Giardia. Thoroughly wash with uncontaminated water all vegetables and fruits you plan to eat raw. See below for information on making water safe.
    By accidentally swallowing Giardia picked up from surfaces (such as toys, bathroom fixtures, changing tables, diaper pails) contaminated with stool from an infected person.
    Who is at risk?
    Everyone. Persons at increased risk for giardiasis include child care workers; children who attend day care centers, including diaper-aged children; international travelers; hikers; campers, swimmers; and others who drink or accidentally swallow water from contaminated sources that is untreated (no heat inactivation, filtration, or chemical disinfection). Several community-wide outbreaks of giardiasis have been linked to drinking municipal water or recreational water contaminated with Giardia.

I have been diagnosed with a Giardia infection. Should I worry about spreading infection to others?
    Yes, Giardia can be very contagious. Follow these guidelines to avoid spreading Giardia to others.

Wash your hands with soap and water after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before eating or preparing food.
    Avoid swimming in recreational water (pools, hot tubs, lakes or rivers, the ocean, etc.) if you have Giardia and for at least 2 weeks after diarrhea stops. You can pass Giardia in your stool and contaminate water for several weeks after your symptoms have ended. This has resulted in outbreaks of Giardia among recreational water users.
    Avoid fecal exposure during sex.
    What should I do if I think I have giardiasis?
    See your health care provider.

How is a Giardia infection diagnosed?
    Your health care provider will likely ask you to submit stool samples to see if you have the parasite. Because Giardia can be difficult to diagnose, he or she may ask you to submit several stool specimens over several days.

What is the treatment for giardiasis?
    Several prescription drugs are available to treat Giardia. Consult with your health care provider. Although Giardia can infect all people, young children and pregnant women may be more susceptible to the dehydration resulting from diarrhea and should drink plenty of fluids while ill.

How can I prevent Giardia infection?
    Practice good hygiene.
    Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
    a. Wash hands after using the toilet and before handling or eating food (especially for persons with diarrhea).
    b. Wash hands after every diaper change, especially if you work with diaper-aged children, even if you are wearing gloves.
    Protect others by not swimming if experiencing diarrhea (essential for children in diapers).
    Avoid water that might be contaminated.

Avoid swallowing recreational water. Click here for information on recreational water illnesses.
    Avoid drinking untreated water from shallow wells, lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, and streams.
    Avoid drinking untreated water during community-wide outbreaks of disease caused by contaminated drinking water. In the United States, nationally distributed brands of bottled or canned carbonated soft drinks are safe to drink. Commercially packaged noncarbonated soft drinks and fruit juices that do not require refrigeration until after they are opened (those that are stored unrefrigerated on grocery shelves) also are safe. Click here to find out how to choose bottled water that is also safe to drink.
    Avoid using ice or drinking untreated water when traveling in countries where the water supply might be unsafe.
    If you are unable to avoid drinking or using water that might be contaminated, then treat the water yourself by:
    Heating the water to a rolling boil for at least 1 minute.

OR

Using a filter that has an absolute pore size of at least 1 micron or one that has been NSF rated for "cyst removal." Click here for information on choosing a water filter.

If the methods above cannot be used, then try chemical inactivation of Giardia by chlorination or iodination. Chemical disinfection may be less effective than other methods because it is highly dependent on the temperature, pH, and cloudiness of the water.
    Avoid food that might be contaminated.

Wash and/or peel all raw vegetables and fruits before eating.
    Use uncontaminated water to wash all food that is to be eaten raw.
    Avoid eating uncooked foods when traveling in countries with minimal water treatment and sanitation systems.
    Avoid fecal exposure during sex.
    My water comes from a well; should I have my well water tested?
    If you answer yes to the following questions, consider having your well water tested.

Are other members of your family or users of your well water ill?
    If yes, your well may be the source of infection.

Is your well located at the bottom of a hill or is it considered shallow?
    If so, runoff from rain or flood water may be draining directly into your well causing contamination.

Is your well in a rural area where animals graze?
    Well water can become fecally contaminated if animal waste seepage contaminates the ground water. This can occur if your well has cracked casings, is poorly constructed, or is too shallow.

Tests specifically for Giardia are expensive, difficult, and usually require hundreds of gallons of water to be pumped through a filter. If you answered yes to the above questions, consider testing your well for fecal coliforms or E. coli instead of Giardia. Although fecal coliforms or E. coli tests do not specifically test for Giardia, testing will show if your well has fecal contamination.

These tests are only useful if your well is not routinely disinfected with chlorine since chlorine kills fecal coliforms and E. coli. If the tests are positive, the water may also be contaminated with Giardia, as well as other harmful bacteria and viruses. Look in your local telephone directory for a laboratory or cooperative extension that offers water testing. If the fecal coliform test comes back positive, indicating that your well is fecally contaminated, contact your local water authority for instructions on how to disinfect your well.

My child was recently diagnosed as having giardiasis, but does not have any diarrhea. My health care provider says treatment is not necessary. Is this true?
    In general, the answer by the American Academy of Pediatrics is that treatment is not necessary. However, there are a few exceptions. If your child does not have diarrhea, but is having nausea, or is fatigued, losing weight, or has a poor appetite, you and your health care provider may wish to consider treatment. If your child attends a day care center where an outbreak is continuing to occur despite efforts to control it, screening and treatment of children without obvious symptoms may be a good idea. The same is true if several family members are ill, or if a family member is pregnant and therefore not able to take the most effective anti-Giardia medications.

For more information:
    Giardiasis Surveillance, United States, 1992-1997. MMWR 2000; 49, SS-7: 1-13.
    Addiss DG, Juranek DD, Spencer HC. Treatment of children with asymptomatic and nondiarrheal Giardia infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1991;10:843-6.
    Addiss DG, Davis JP, Roberts JM, Mast EE. Epidemiology of giardiasis in Wisconsin. Increasing incidence of reported cases and unexplained seasonal trends. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1992;47:13-9.
    Bartlett AV, Englander SJ, Jarvis BA, Ludwig L, Carlson JF, Topping JP. Controlled trial of Giardia lamblia: Control strategies in day care centers. Am J Public Health 1991;81:1001-6.
    Kreuter AK, Del Bene VE, Amstey MS. Giardiasis in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1981;40:895-901.
    Lengerich EJ, Addiss DG, Juranek DD. Severe giardiasis in the United States. Clin Infect Dis 1994; 18:760-3.

Allways ride safe!!
    Jan 2004

Oww Owww! Make it stop Mom!!

J_B.. Grouse ridge is located off of H80 just before Soda Springs. About 90 min drivng time from Sac. You will need to bring plenty of water. While there are plenty of lakes in the area.. you might not want to chane it. I went and bought purification tabs at REI. No times have been set yet. Stay tuned!!
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

Radio Commercial

Medium?

Some quotes:

"chronic infections lasting months to years...are difficult to treat"

"most frequently associated with the consumption of contaminated water"

"has a synergistic relationship with some of the intestinal flora"

"About 40% of those who are diagnosed with giardiasis demonstrate disaccharide intolerance during detectable infection and up to 6 months after the infection can no longer be detected. Lactose (i.e., milk sugar) intolerance is most frequently observed."

Drink whatever you want. Don't mind me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I am riding this

Antelope Creek/Mill Creek Wild Ride (May 15-16, 2004) Tehama County, East of Red Bluff
    Join IMBA for two days of riding the lower elevation trails of the oak woodlands in the foothills of the Southern Cascade Range. With favorable spring weather, the wildflowers could be blooming. Antelope Creek and Mill Creek are located between Mount Lassen and the city of Red Bluff. They showcase the lowland beauty of the intersection of the Cascades and the Sierra. Participants can camp both Friday and Saturday nights in the oak woodlands near Antelope Creek, east of Red Bluff. The first Antelope Creek ride provides brilliant views of lava-rock canyons, rainbows of wildflowers and Native American cave dwellings, and the scenic north fork of Antelope Creek. We'll ride a 15-mile loop encompassing the McClure Trail, with the option of adding sections of the ridge top Indian Creek Trail, more than doubling the length.

The ride on Sunday is dependent on weather. If the weather is cool, participants will ride trails along the lower Antelope and Mill creeks. If it is warm, riders will head to higher elevations closer to Lassen National Park.

This ride is sponsored by Team Sunsweet Plum Adventure Racing. All events are free of charge. For more detailed information or to register for the Wild Ride click here

mtbr member

Clued In....semi official info.

Look at the grouse!

memine clued me in on a loop route that should be killer.....time to break out the Nalgen water puifier bottle for this one......you can get them for less than $30!

We will meet at the Bowman park and ride (in Auburn...@ hwy 80 Bowman exit) at around 8:30...official times to be posted Thursday

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

H20

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    memine clued me in on a loop route that should be killer.....time to break out the Nalgen water puifier bottle for this one......you can get them for less than $30!
    Definitely bring a filter. I almost always use one when I ride there and when I don't, I regret it.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Ok, I'll check for the times. In years past, I had consumed some questionable water in foreign countries while on deployment and I am thankfully still alive. I have been lactose intolerant for a few years. I have just now been able to drink small amounts of milk or have small amounts of ice cream without the lactaid tablets.

I will buy purification tablets!!!
    PipeHittersUnion

Vegan Athlete
    Seriously, is Grouse open yet? I expect that you will be doing a lot of hiking in the snow. I rode Spaulding lake trail on Saturday and though there was no snow on the trial there were some patches here and there. Memine and I rode Grouse last July, I think, and there was a 1/4 mile snow field just short of Glacier Lake that I led us through. Blue Lake trail maybe, but I doubt going up there would be fun right now.
    Someone tell me i'm wrong, please. If i'm wrong i'll take off Thursday and go up there.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Snow and grouse

Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    Seriously, is Grouse open yet?.
    Well, I don't know about the top, but the loop of Blue Lake Trail > Grouse Ridge Trail (heading south) > Spaulding would be fine. I might go there this week too.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    Antelope Creek/Mill Creek Wild Ride (May 15-16, 2004) Tehama County, East of Red Bluff
    This ride is sponsored by Team Sunsweet Plum Adventure Racing. All events are free of charge. For more detailed information or to register for the Wild Ride click here
    This will be cool. I'm sorry to miss it. I have backpacked out there and it's really beautiful.

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Edit: Anybuddy wanna go up to Chico & ride Bidwell a couple times???
    I thought you weren't one for loooong drives.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

I hate 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    I thought you weren't one for loooong drives.

george
    But I have a friend up there, so I can stay overnight and drive back the next day.

Thanks for your concern.

fp

mtbr member

yes yes

Please do.....and report back on conditions....carry on soldier!

www.goapc.org

banned
    Is this thing happening?

Group size?

Route?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast