Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where is the next MTB boom town?

Reading this article on Derby Tasmania and how they went from a ghost town to a thriving biking Mecca with just a $3million in biking infrastructure investment it made me wonder where in the US or hopefully California is next. Going all over the map it seems Downieville, Sedona, Moab, Durango, Revelstoke, Rotarua, Finale Ligure all greatly benefited from mountain biking bringing tourist dollars in year round. Any thoughts on up and coming locations?

Here is the derby article:
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-1...n-derby/927638

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    3 million in most of CA. Will barely pay for the environmental studies, lawsuits, and political backdoor deals to even move one shovel of dirt. 🤔

... Only kinda kidding.

locked - time out
    Valley Springs, CA!

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    3 million in most of CA. Will barely pay for the environmental studies, lawsuits, and political backdoor deals to even move one shovel of dirt. 🤔

... Only kinda kidding.
    You left out bribes to the unions. But, hey, we got a bullet train coming. So we got that going for us.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Bentonville, Arkansas.
    IPA will save America

fc
    IPA will save America

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Pinecrest, ...."The Dodge Ridge Ski Resort is soon to begin laying the groundwork for a system of lift-accessed mountain biking trails; current plans are to introduce the new trail system in the summer of 2018. In the meantime, one can hike and bike the varied fire trails in and around the ski area and enjoy the alpine scenery."

The high Sierra’s Hwy. 108, pathway to summer fun; from Twain Harte to Pinecrest/Dodge Ridge, something for everyone!

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I wanna go now. AR all day
    Redeeming the Family name one step at a time.
    Last edited by snowjnky; 01-02-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: geography
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mendocino. I've ridden up there many times and I'm surprised to always see so few people riding the trails. Fantastic riding and the weather is great from April through most of October. In the winter months the trails can still be rideable.

Moderator Moderator
    Legal or illegal trails?

mtbr member
    I think Bentonville and area has already arrived.

Oakridge OR has to be on the list. Still in transition from a logging town but has changed dramatically in the last 3-4 years. Land and houses are still cheap. The access to terrain, mountains, rivers, lakes, wilderness etc. is really appealing to the outdoor enthusiast. The more time I spend there exploring the more I love it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Good one, but I'm leaning toward Hood River in OR, mainly for the progression and variety. Boom state?!

Btw, we're not talking about moving to these spots, just for road trips, right?! Hurricane is a great place to visit, but...
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-30-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    I love Hood River and the gorge in general but would say it has arrived as well. Definitely not the same access to terrain as Oakridge, gets seriously hot & dry for most of the summer and good luck buying a house. The flip side you can ride there year round for the most part, WAY more amenities, and the ability to make a decent living.

mtbr member
    China and possibly Japan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Legal or illegal trails?
    Look at Sedona, basically all the good trails are reformed illegal trails. You donít have to name the trails but whereíd you have in mind?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Barrow, AK. Maybe Kotzebue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    I wanna go now. AK all day
    Anchorage AK has a good urban trail network and the rest of the state is rife with fatbiking adventure options, but boomtown material, nah!

Unless you meant Arkansas, which is AR.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member

AK fear for my life

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Anchorage AK has a good urban trail network and the rest of the state is rife with fatbiking adventure options, but boomtown material, nah!

Unless you meant Arkansas, which is AR.
    I would fear for my life in AR out in the woods. The natives don't care much for Brown folks. Somehow I took their jobs and that is why their america is not so great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    Pinecrest, ...."The Dodge Ridge Ski Resort is soon to begin laying the groundwork for a system of lift-accessed mountain biking trails; current plans are to introduce the new trail system in the summer of 2018. In the meantime, one can hike and bike the varied fire trails in and around the ski area and enjoy the alpine scenery."

The high Sierra‚Äs Hwy. 108, pathway to summer fun; from Twain Harte to Pinecrest/Dodge Ridge, something for everyone!
    Can you check that link. Iím be excited to hear more about that.

Although Pinecrest already seems to be an at capacity summer boom town now, even without the mountain biking.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    I wanna go now. AK all day
    Couldn't agree more.

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0247510.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0167417.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0157400.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0157411.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0147373.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0187181.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0207195.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-g0127154.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-gopr7201.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-highres_383036632.jpeg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-17972288_1420097124715418_160365093805523343_o.jpg

Where is the next MTB boom town?-17155629_979831205450667_972219947949941213_n.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Interesting! But I can't see that many people going 2000+ miles past Whistler.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Interesting! But I can't see that many people going 2000+ miles past Whistler.
    Global warming.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    Reading this article on Derby Tasmania and how they went from a ghost town to a thriving biking Mecca with just a $3million in biking infrastructure investment it made me wonder where in the US or hopefully California is next. Going all over the map it seems Downieville, Sedona, Moab, Durango, Revelstoke, Rotarua, Finale Ligure all greatly benefited from mountain biking bringing tourist dollars in year round. Any thoughts on up and coming locations?

Here is the derby article:
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-1...n-derby/927638
    Made the trip to Tassie and rode
    Derby / Blue Tier in March 2016 and highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Can you check that link. Iím be excited to hear more about that.

Although Pinecrest already seems to be an at capacity summer boom town now, even without the mountain biking.
    The link works for me. Or were you referring to its accuracy?

It's accurate. I chose to share public knowledge instead of first hand knowledge. There is a movement to bring "undocumented " trails around Dodge Ridge into the light to compliment the proposed summer lift service and trails.

You are correct about Pinecrest capacity. Out with the old demographic and in with the new?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Whitefish Montana has an awesome trail network as well as a MTB specific lodge.

Fort Bragg CA has incredible trails and terrific locals.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    "Bike" Magazine. The annual bike test issue that involves the staff living for a month testing mountain bikes and riding them in a dorm/beer setting has just been published from Marquette, Michigan.

Previous years have been Bentonville, Sedona, Bend in that order.

interesting.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post

... Only kinda kidding.
    Actually you are dead right.

\
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    How 'bout we put a twist on this. What city in NORCAL will be the next NORCAL MTB hotspot?

We have seen Pinecrest mentioned.

• What about Georgetown? Seems to be a lot of interest in the riding in the area. (No I don't live there and no I didn't build the trail, I haven't even been there)
    • Do people already consider Auburn a MTB Boom Town? If not, it should be for sure and could only get better if we can get the ASRA to side with logic. In addition, imagine connecting Folsom to Auburn. That would be sweet!
    • Chico seems to have a growing amount of trails.
    • Also seems like some places up north (Redding / Eureka / etc.) could be if local riders could get some city backing and NFS co-operation.

To me the first city council that has the light bulb go on anywhere north of I-80 is going to reap the benefits.
    Last edited by roughster; 12-30-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more text

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Bear Valley, with the right vision could be a true MTB mecca.

mtbr member
    Got to expand man! Tell us the goods!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Got to expand man! Tell us the goods!
    Bear Valley has some incredible terrain and the resort is equipped with ski lifts etc. But there's not a lot of MTB there currently. Interestingly, there is a eBike tour there. The resort and town are all reasonably priced places to stay, especially in the summer. With the right vision it could be incredible, and a real boom for the small towns there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    I would fear for my life in AR out in the woods. The natives don't care much for Brown folks. Somehow I took their jobs and that is why their america is not so great.
    Then please stay away. There is no room for that type of vitriol and stereotyping here. Good riddance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    The link works for me. Or were you referring to its accuracy?

You are correct about Pinecrest capacity. Out with the old demographic and in with the new?
    That link still isnít working for me. I was able to find the article with a search.

The town of pinecrest is at capacity especially the campgrounds. If you head a few minutes outside town or to some of the primitive campsites there is space for more people.

Staying in the town of Pinecrest is pretty awesome for families. You can walk everywhere. Everywhere is basically two places, the beach and the store.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bear Valley has been trying to be a Mecca for over 40 years. We were friends with the family that started the Ďski bearí bumper sticker then.

Building political momentum to get trails approved in CA seems to take on the order of 10+ years. There were some rule changes a few years to make it easier to open ski areas which on USFS leases for summer use.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Bear Valley has been trying to be a Mecca for over 40 years. We were friends with the family that started the Ďski bearí bumper sticker then.

Building political momentum to get trails approved in CA seems to take on the order of 10+ years. There were some rule changes a few years to make it easier to open ski areas which on USFS leases for summer use.
    I obviously don't understand all the political issues required to move forward on something like that, I'm just speaking from a conceptual standpoint. That terrain would support some incredible mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Then please stay away. There is no room for that type of vitriol and stereotyping here. Good riddance.

I lived in Little Rock for 2 years, the most racist place I have ever lived. No fear of me ever coming back to that place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    I lived in Little Rock for 2 years, the most racist place I have ever lived. No fear of me ever coming back to that place.
    No one in their right mind goes to certain parts of Little Rock, race has nothing to do with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How 'bout we put a twist on this. What city in NORCAL will be the next NORCAL MTB hotspot?

• What about Georgetown? Seems to be a lot of interest in the riding in the area. (No I don't live there and no I didn't build the trail, I haven't even been there)
    • Do people already consider Auburn a MTB Boom Town? If not, it should be for sure and could only get better if we can get the ASRA to side with logic. In addition, imagine connecting Folsom to Auburn. That would be sweet!
    • Also seems like some places up north (Redding / Eureka / etc.) could be if local riders could get some city backing and NFS co-operation.

To me the first city council that has the light bulb go on anywhere north of I-80 is going to reap the benefits.
    Most of Humboldt area is either parks or private logging company which makes it tough. With that said, the little town of blue lake has some amazing things going down for people who are members of the local MTB association.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I would say that the Tetons are up and coming, but we only have a 5-6 month season...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Hah I had a post like this in another thread about Bentonville and had some likeminded replies. The company I work for actually has a location there that I support. Interestingly it's owned by brown people like me and provides jobs for locals.

mtbr member

[LIST][*]What about Georgetown? Seems to be a lot of interest in the riding in the area. (No I don't live there and no I didn't build the trail, I haven't even been there)[*]Do people already consider Auburn a MTB Boom Town? If not, it should be for sure and could only get better if we can get the ASRA to side with logic. In addition, imagine connecting Folsom to Auburn. That would be sweet!

Amen on the Nor Cal 'twist'

And everything else you said, for that matter! Auburn and Folsom are connected, via bitchin' singletrack, already. Its just that the heads-up-their-collective-arse State Parks wont allow bikes on said trail; or build an alternate one
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Do we even have a place in Cali that ever was an MTB boomtown?

mtbr member

I agree. Keep it in NorCal. Do any of you guys actually want to live in a cycling boomtown? Or do you just want one within easy driving distance? I enjoy meeting other riders on the trail, but the last thing I want are the hordes descending on my favorite trails. I'm in favor of improving riding infrastructure, but in slow, dispersed managed way. Kind of the opposite of a boomtown.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I think Carson City is on the cusp of exploding. They are definitely seeing the benefits of MTB tourism already and more trails have been approved. I still don't know why Oakridge hasn't exploded. That place is ripe for MTB related investment.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I agree, could be the best in the state.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Mount Shasta, CA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Amen on the Nor Cal 'twist'

And everything else you said, for that matter! Auburn and Folsom are connected, via bitchin' singletrack, already. Its just that the heads-up-their-collective-arse State Parks wont allow bikes on said trail; or build an alternate one
    Preaching to the choir brother! I did the AR50 a few years ago and was thinking the whole time, "This would be so much more fun on my bike!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I agree. Keep it in NorCal. Do any of you guys actually want to live in a cycling boomtown? Or do you just want one within easy driving distance? I enjoy meeting other riders on the trail, but the last thing I want are the hordes descending on my favorite trails. I'm in favor of improving riding infrastructure, but in slow, dispersed managed way. Kind of the opposite of a boomtown.
    That's a great question man. I would put a vote in for not in my town but maybe one town over

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I think Carson City is on the cusp of exploding. They are definitely seeing the benefits of MTB tourism already and more trails have been approved. I still don't know why Oakridge hasn't exploded. That place is ripe for MTB related investment.
    I rode the Carson Valley Trail System out of Genoa last year. Pretty incredible trails up there.

mtbr member

Thanks for the plug! Meecas are not what they want to become...

Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    Mendocino. I've ridden up there many times and I'm surprised to always see so few people riding the trails. Fantastic riding and the weather is great from April through most of October. In the winter months the trails can still be rideable.
    Dave,

Thanks for the support. We strived for years to become a biking mecca (Bike magazine article -April 2015 our only attempt).

Where is the next MTB boom town?-brian.jpg

But in hindsight, we are happy to have a great bunch of trails (125 miles) to discover. No hype, no gold rush for riding. Come for a day or two of phenomenal single track. The real secret maybe not being discovered.

Moab has paid the price (sold its soul to the trail devil) to the point it is so commercially driven that it makes Disneyland pale in comparison. I first discovered Moab in 1987. It was so full of potential eventually selling the store for the dollars. Oakridge has sold its soul as well and where has that gotten them? Infrastructure is a a hodge podge at best. The discovery of paradise may not be the salvation after all. Originally, we hoped to bring the JDSF up to "Mecca" status to help our failing economic infrastructure. But now, those who do come here are enough.

I'm at an age, where I enjoy the trails with little, if any traffic. Future generations will need to determine if they want to promote or not. We can always sell out, I guess. Biking prostitution? Is it really worth it? I think achieving greatness is definitely over-rated!

Meccas come. Meccas go...

"...Boomtown,

gotta another Boomtown...

It'll Boom Just as long as the boom has room."

Thanks Greg Brown

Where is the next MTB boom town?-mendotrails.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Interestingly, I talked to a friend that lives in Arnold about mtb in Bear Valley. Apparently they're more interested in promoting their Frisbee Golf course during Summer months.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Let's get our people on the Mid Pen board and make the Sandy Cruz Mountains the mountain biking Mecca it should be.

4 seats up for election this year, that is a majority.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What Roo said!!!!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think Bentonville and area has already arrived.

Oakridge OR has to be on the list. Still in transition from a logging town but has changed dramatically in the last 3-4 years. Land and houses are still cheap. The access to terrain, mountains, rivers, lakes, wilderness etc. is really appealing to the outdoor enthusiast. The more time I spend there exploring the more I love it.
    So Bentonville is pretty much there. But.... very few of us have been there. I haven't even been there and I'm on the company expense report.

It takes a while to build up infrastructure and a long time too to get the word out. I think they've been building up in Arkansas for the last 10 years. Now they have big campaigns to get folks out there.

The next key towns will be ski resort areas. They have elevation, beauty, infrastructure and now motivation. These unpredictable winters are crushing the ski economy and rendering business bankrupt and folks unemployed when they take a 30-50% hit in snow and revenue.

Last year, Switzerland flew me out to their country twice since they had such a miserable winter. They want a bike economy.

Whistler, on bad snow years was getting as much as 50% revenue from biking and summer activities. Other towns and resort areas are watching and following suit.

Looks like this winter is already a bust since Holidays are over and there's almost zero snow all the way to Vancouver. I hear that up to 50% revenue is earned during the holidays for ski resorts. That's not recoverable.

Biking revenue is predictable and it can only grow with these shifts in global patterns.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I can think of one place in the US that has technical trails more in line with what is found in areas like Squamish, Nelson, and the Whistler-Pemberton areas in BC, but it is fairly unknown. It also has slickrock areas that are second only to Moab, but also has forested cruisy trails similar to what you might fine in Oakridge, Or. Apparently the locals are happy with things the way they are and don't want to make a big scene out of it, so I will respect their wishes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Roo,

I agree completely. I read the Bike magazine article after I had ridden up there and expected to find the trails more active following its publication. However, one of the things I like up there is the quiet of the trails and the absence of people. I'm very happy it is not like Moab where there can be a line of people waiting to ride a section of trail.

I'd like to see you guys get the support that you need and deserve. I would rather it didn't become a zoo of people. I suspect it won't anytime soon. The riding is fantastic, IMO, but I think many won't like long climbs and riding between descents (which I actually like) and would prefer a shuttle system. But it seems like the shuttle system will never happen because the JDSF won't allow it and the descents just aren't long enough to make it realistic. You have to earn your turns up there, which is how I like it, but not how others want their riding to be.

I love riding in Tahoe but it is a very different type of riding and experience. I much prefer the drive to Mendocino and the relaxed atmosphere of the town vs the traffic hell of 80 or 50 from the Bay Area as well as the congestion of cars and people in the Tahoe area. Perhaps I misunderstood what boomtown would mean in this thread. I do see more people at the trailheads these days than I did 4 or 5 years ago. However, big crowds and popularity often attract a type of humanity that is less than desirable and that would be a shame.

Looking forward to riding up there for many years to come.

Thanks for the Greg Brown reminder - haven't listened to him in a few years!

DK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    Roo,

You have to earn your turns up there, which is how I like it, but not how others want their riding to be.
    DK
    Well said Dave. This is a special fraternity/sorority unto its own. The few who do shuttle here are positively dangerous on the likes of Boiler or Manly which we all love to climb. It takes a special breed of rider to enjoy the form of trail riding found throughout the JDSF. Those purists who ride here and leave feeling fully rewarded are my kind of folks! I have met tons over the years being a Bike Sprite guide and as well as just another rider. The IPA only tastes better when it's earned. Do shuttle bunnies like Bud Lite? Maybe Keystone for the newbies?

mtbr member
    JDSF/Mendocino sounds like my kind of place. Started riding mtb in Chico many years ago, but only rode once in the Mendocino area, one of the state parks. Did s lot of road bike touring on the Lost Coast back in the day. Beautiful area.
    Veni vidi velo!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    What I'd like to see:

Pinecrest/DodgeRidge
    BearValley
    Arnold
    AngelsCamp/NewMelones
    ValleySprings
    SutterCreek
    Jackson

Are they doable/feasible? Absolutely. Will they happen? Not without A LOT of excess work and expense. Too much Good 'Ole Boy and Marijuana nonsense right now. Sorry Fred and Finch but I simply cannot look at this stuff with the eyes of a 24yr/old anymore and I've seen the changes showing up in the past two years and they're big obstacles. So much has changed since I went to school there and it's all been for the better overall.

So on that I'll list Chico/Paradise as who I see doing it.

True, very true. I look at where CC was in 2005 and now and I smile. Almost moved the family there.
    Last edited by Obi; 01-01-2018 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ha, I've been to Kotzebue- pretty flat, but as I recall many of the streets aren't paved.

mtbr member
    If you import Tahoe and Santa Cruz's best trail builders and put them to work for a year straight.... maybe Mendo would have a chance. I would love to see that happen-- I'm just not a fan of old logging roads being called trails :/

mtbr member
    Northern Washington is going through a bit of a trail explosing at the moment-- I'd nominate Bellingham--- perhaps Seattle (eastern) in a few years.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Good call.

I had high hopes for Idyllwild in Socal, but they lost a bunch of trails in a fire a few years ago and now the only LBS in town has shut down.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member

...there are single track too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    If you import Tahoe and Santa Cruz's best trail builders and put them to work for a year straight.... maybe Mendo would have a chance. I would love to see that happen-- I'm just not a fan of old logging roads being called trails :/
    Haus,

You rode only fire roads? What trails did you ride, if any? I could show you 2 days worth of riding with no fire roads of any length to ride. What are you using for a map? Dead reckoning?

There are about 120 miles of single and double track in the JDSF and State Parks. Did you ride our newest trail, Sweet Pea? How many places put two solid years in or 1400 hours of hardass labor into 5 miles of trail incorporating it into a vast system of cross country riding?

I will venture to pit Nick Taylor (Endo, ONo!, Sweet Pea, Ripper Ibis Maximus), Chris Clutton (EZN and EZOut) and Jesse Stafford (Ride Thru tree, Gunslinger, and the infamous Widowmaker trails -which took 3 years to do single handedly) against anything you have down there for trail builders. From what I hear, a bunch of the Santa Cruz trails are machine built. Nothing like a little blood, sweat and tears with trail tools to bring out the essence of classic mountain bike trails. We build them to last.

I'm not sure we really want to get to destination status any longer. Once, I pushed for recognition more from the stand point of salvaging our struggling coastal economy ie: Fort Bragg. I've been riding here for 20 years and I'm not bored with the trails that exist along with the few out-a-towners that frequent our system. The few we do get seem most appreciative of the riding they experience.

Sorry if I come off a bit defensive, but I do feel a shitload of insensitivity in your comment. If not arrogance... Between the WPA trails (Manly Gulch and Boiler to name a few) and what we have built there is no room for your blatant generalization.

It's OK though, I'm getting less and less enthusiastic about supporting the idea of becoming a destination riding area.
    Last edited by RooHarris; 01-01-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Inter71 View Post
    Interestingly, I talked to a friend that lives in Arnold about mtb in Bear Valley. Apparently they're more interested in promoting their Frisbee Golf course during Summer months.
    Considering they need to do SOMETHING with the rotting golf course in Arnold why not just play FrisbeeGolf there?
    Last edited by Obi; 01-01-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

The next key towns will be ski resort areas. They have elevation, beauty, infrastructure and now motivation. These unpredictable winters are crushing the ski economy and rendering business bankrupt and folks unemployed when they take a 30-50% hit in snow and revenue.
    I've been reading this thread and thinking Steamboat Springs. The quote above just is so true.

We've been going to Steamboat since 2000-2001 and have watched the town grow, as well as the bike trails on Emerald Mountain and the lift-served bike park on the actual Steamboat mountain which is getting really developed. It's nowhere near Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park in terms of terrain still. Steamboat has a river (the Yampa) running through town for tubing post-ride, free bus, great restaurants and breweries. Stick your thumb out with a river tube under your arm and people still pick you up and will take you back upstream. Still a "small-ish" ski town feel. Big rides can happen on Rabbit Ears Pass/Buffalo Pass area and Steamboat Lake 45 minutes north is something out of a National Geographic feature. Bring your fishing rod for sure, as well as sunscreen.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    I've been reading this thread and thinking Steamboat Springs. The quote above just is so true.

We've been going to Steamboat since 2000-2001 and have watched the town grow, as well as the bike trails on Emerald Mountain and the lift-served bike park on the actual Steamboat mountain which is getting really developed. It's nowhere near Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park in terms of terrain still. Steamboat has a river (the Yampa) running through town for tubing post-ride, free bus, great restaurants and breweries. Stick your thumb out with a river tube under your arm and people still pick you up and will take you back upstream. Still a "small-ish" ski town feel. Big rides can happen on Rabbit Ears Pass/Buffalo Pass area and Steamboat Lake 45 minutes north is something out of a National Geographic feature. Bring your fishing rod for sure, as well as sunscreen.
    Gorgeous spot
    Last time I checked 400 & 450 sqare foot "condos" were listed at half a million dollars. Not sure how a town is going to "boom" when property prices have already exploded. This would be the case for most ski towns. The ship has already sailed.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Last year, Switzerland flew me out to their country twice since they had such a miserable winter. They want a bike economy.
    Switzerland sounds awesome, but IMHO, it's one of the few places in the world that's more expensive than NorCal, for outdoor recreation. We're you supposed to come back and tell us all about it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Some folks in Bear Valley are trying to start a MTB trail club, maybe going for grants and sponsors like the Sierra Buttes Trails Stewardship, but not sure there is enough interest to drive it forward. There is also a small underground scene, but I don't quite see everything coming into alignment a this time. One issue for Bear is a lot of the surrounding terrain is in Wilderness, which creates some limitations on a trail system. The current trail system really needs to be maintained better first, as it is currently random locals logging trails out and not looking at the whole picture- you know, drainage, rerouting, armoring, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Jackson/Sutter Creek doesn't have much public land to work with. East Bay water district doesn't seem too MTB friendly. New Melones has a lot of potential, as it is Federal land around it and some cool terrain-Peoria Mt- Table Mt., etc. Not sure about Valley Springs, but imagine they could expand at New Hogan. Bear Valley has good potential, but needs a better driving force to make anything happen there- you know, most people just talk on forums about this stuff and don't actually do anything. Arnold is scraping along with the Arnold Rim Trail ass. but things move kinda slow due to lack of resources. And Pinecrest has few good trails and no real potential, so no use talking about that. Good place to go skiing though, uh, I mean swimming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    So Bentonville is pretty much there. But.... very few of us have been there. I haven't even been there and I'm on the company expense report.

It takes a while to build up infrastructure and a long time too to get the word out. I think they've been building up in Arkansas for the last 10 years. Now they have big campaigns to get folks out there.

Whistler, on bad snow years was getting as much as 50% revenue from biking and summer activities. Other towns and resort areas are watching and following suit.

Looks like this winter is already a bust since Holidays are over and there's almost zero snow all the way to Vancouver. I hear that up to 50% revenue is earned during the holidays for ski resorts. That's not recoverable.

Biking revenue is predictable and it can only grow with these shifts in global patterns.
    I don't know if Bentonville is all the way there or not. I think that may happen this year or the next. There is over a hundred miles of new trail supposed to be opened in the area in the next year and a lot of rework. The existing trail is being reworked to keep it smooth, safe and family friendly but are putting in optional jumps, rock gardens, and drops that flow with and into the main line. There is also a plethora of dedicated big jump and/or dedicated trails going in as well. The impressive part to me is how quickly this has all happened. We have had trails for a while but the big push for miles and features has only been over the past three years or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Haus,

You rode only fire roads? What trails did you ride, if any? ....
    Hey Roo,

Let me just say that I love Mendocino, especially the coast. I would love to buy some land and build a vacation home somewhere between Noyo Harbor and Little River, or perhaps retire up that way eventually. I'm sorry if my post came off a bit brash, and I applaud all of the locals who put in hundreds of hours to build and maintain the existing network. I have ridden Oh-no, Endo, Boiler, Widowmaker, Jims, EZN and EZ Out, Manley, along with others. However, many of these trails (not all) use the existing tread of old logging, fire, jeep, and skid trails, including many of the trails you mentioned-- which does not always equate to the best flow of the terrain. If the woods up there had more trails similar to Sawpit, Braille, Flow (Santa Cruz Demo), Solstice (Marin), I think you'd see a lot more people riding in the woods up there-- without the need to sell out. Perhaps it's time to get Judd deVall's creative vision back focused back so he can sprinkle some of his trail magic along the coast. And I should note, that Endo and Oh-no are some of my favorite trails up there-- hopefully Nick is still working on future projects like that! As I mentioned before, I think there's a lot of untapped potential in your neck of the woods-- but my riding experiences up there have been a bit underwhelming.

Perhaps when I finish up graduate school, I can head up that way and lend a helping hand You can see some of my sample work in this video (around 1:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0594fsaXA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Haus Boss,

I'm very confused by your post that the trails there are "old logging roads." I saw a recent post of yours that you were up there and were planning to ride some of the ST - Manley, Fury, etc. Those are not "logging roads" and nor are Forest History, EZN, EZOut, Widowmaker, Sweat Pea, Endo, etc. So I know that you are not ignorant of the riding up there.

Yes, there are fire roads connecting ST - like in many places such as Fruita, Moab, Tahoe (haven't ridden in Santa Cruz so I can't comment on that aspect). Some of them even involve riding roads unless you shuttle. But those are all fantastic places to ride and I'm sure SC is, too - can't wait to ride there.

Perhaps you have very high standards for trails (a certain type or endless miles of only ST) or the JDSF trails are not your cup of tea. And, hey, that's your right. But honestly, your comment comes off not only as inaccurate but as dismissive and arrogant. I'm not surprised you ticked off Roo. A lot of people up there have put a lot of work into building and maintaining those trails with a lot of sweat equity and very little financial support and he has been a part of that, for which I am extremely grateful. Suggesting that a year's worth of trail work by Tahoe and SC trail crews is what's needed to make it a "maybe" worthwhile destination ... well, that kind of takes a dump on their efforts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Haus Boss,

Thanks for the clarification and explanation and the giving of props and apology. You do make some valid points above, too. It sounds like your standards for trails are higher/different than mine and perhaps others (which is your right). Anyway, your reply makes my post below unnecessary.

Thanks.

DK

mtbr member
    The crazy thing is Northstar feels like a ghost town in summer, they absolutely have the terrain to be the next whistler. I hope they have the vision. Now with all mountain bikes that can handle serious gnar the window is open for a lot more riders than just the dedicated DH crowd..

mtbr member
    Georgetown, CA. Its gonna happen

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think Carson City is on the cusp of exploding. They are definitely seeing the benefits of MTB tourism already and more trails have been approved.
    I'd love to see Carson City do it. They've been building a lot of good trail, and there's so much opportunity for big shuttle runs off the Tahoe Rim Trail down into Carson Valley (a la Genoa, but with better trails).

Carson is certainly a lot better now that the freeway has opened (relieving the downtown of congestion), but IMHO it has a long way to go before people will want to stay for a weekend. It's lacking in amenities that most travellers want, and will always be a tough sell compared to South Shore Tahoe
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Elitest thrill junkie
    The crazy thing is Northstar feels like a ghost town in summer, they absolutely have the terrain to be the next whistler. I hope they have the vision. Now with all mountain bikes that can handle serious gnar the window is open for a lot more riders than just the dedicated DH crowd..
    Does Whistler have the powdered-dust problem that Dust* has? It seems that the soil turns to powder at D* too easily and the trail doesn't maintain. It takes some significant moisture IME to retain trail in some places.

I remember when friends told me how dry trails get up here in AK and how it'll be dusty, then I remember back to Downieville and D* days and how nothing anyone experiences up here even holds a candle to the constant dust of D*, when the only two options are to follow 2-feet from the guy in front or wait several minutes until the dust cloud has settled. Some people think it gets dusty here, but it's not even close, the driest dustiest day here would still be nirvana down there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think this makes a lot more sense than Bentonville. I am going to try and ride it next Month, but lets be honest, I'm never going to ride that in the middle of summer when it's 103į with 500% humidity. Everyone should get to experience this and I have done this in many midwestern/southern states, just so I know how utterly distasteful it is. I go mountain biking to escape, with weather that oppressive, it's hard. In the winter time, ice storms, rain and other things make people a lot less inclined to go ride. It's a lot easier for me to go out and ride in snow than rain and most people just don't want to get wet/nasty/muddy every single ride. So that makes the resorts a much more logical choice, because many people will be looking for "escape" in the summer time, some place to go where it's cool and where you can enjoy riding with big vertical and epic rides. I don't mean to rag on Arkansas too much, but there has to be a little more to it for me. I go ride around Washington state for the amazing views, because you can ride around a volcano, because I can do 5000' of descending, because I can ride all day in a giant redwood forest. And then there's the family and other aspects, are there other good distractions for outdoors people? And so on. I don't think it needs to be a resort, per-say, but it needs to be something up in the mountains there, reasonably accessible and accommodating. Resorts want to make $$$, but stuff around a resort inevitably gets expensive IMO and it's not necessarily the best combination. It can definitely be part of it though. It's like Tahoe, lots of great riding around Tahoe, it's kind of one big riding destination, lots of stuff pretty easily accessible. Maybe a little more crowded than we'd like, but it's something. Crested Butte, CO is not relying solely on the resort, nor is Breckenridge, but both have amazing trail in all directions. Those are the places I want to go, because of the trails.

I think WA is interesting to look at from a state perspective. Evergreen has done more for mountain biking than any organization I've ever seen. Trails all over the state that are well built, people work full-time building trails. That state has tech and industry and many of those invest in these non-profits, and in turn, people want to live there, even if it costs a bit more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    As much as most don't want great riding destinations to become overrun, there is a certain critical mass that needs to be present to support and maintain the trails we love to ride. Many of these areas are rural and are struggling economically. If mtb can make that boost, that is a huge positive.

I don't know the answer to keep an area from becoming too overrun. Positive support and community activism holds the key, but maybe not.

mtbr member
    Ha! Yeah Northstar can get dusty but it definetly doesnít ruin my time. I think they close too early, the fall riding up there is the best. Iíd love to see a trail built off the white rabbit area of Northstar. So many boulders to drop, mix it up. Anyway, wishful thinking. Considering how good sone other trails are in shockingly close proximity I think itís trail design leading to lots of skid braking and dust more than the soil (which probably leaves less room for error). I say turn Tamba loose up there and let them see what they can build. They could offer it to be open to people biking up on their own as a concession to the public but 99% of people wonít pass up the lift opportunity

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ha! Yeah Northstar can get dusty but it definetly doesnít ruin my time. I think they close too early, the fall riding up there is the best. Iíd love to see a trail built off the white rabbit area of Northstar. So many boulders to drop, mix it up. Anyway, wishful thinking. Considering how good sone other trails are in shockingly close proximity I think itís trail design leading to lots of skid braking and dust more than the soil (which probably leaves less room for error). I say turn Tamba loose up there and let them see what they can build. They could offer it to be open to people biking up on their own as a concession to the public but 99% of people wonít pass up the lift opportunity
    It's pretty bad, as you are hacking up dust a few days after...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Hey Roo,

Let me just say that I love Mendocino, especially the coast. I would love to buy some land and build a vacation home somewhere between Noyo Harbor and Little River, or perhaps retire up that way eventually. I'm sorry if my post came off a bit brash, and I applaud all of the locals who put in hundreds of hours to build and maintain the existing network. I have ridden Oh-no, Endo, Boiler, Widowmaker, Jims, EZN and EZ Out, Manley, along with others. However, many of these trails (not all) use the existing tread of old logging, fire, jeep, and skid trails, including many of the trails you mentioned-- which does not always equate to the best flow of the terrain. If the woods up there had more trails similar to Sawpit, Braille, Flow (Santa Cruz Demo), Solstice (Marin), I think you'd see a lot more people riding in the woods up there-- without the need to sell out. Perhaps it's time to get Judd deVall's creative vision back focused back so he can sprinkle some of his trail magic along the coast. And I should note, that Endo and Oh-no are some of my favorite trails up there-- hopefully Nick is still working on future projects like that! As I mentioned before, I think there's a lot of untapped potential in your neck of the woods-- but my riding experiences up there have been a bit underwhelming.

Perhaps when I finish up graduate school, I can head up that way and lend a helping hand You can see some of my sample work in this video (around 1:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0594fsaXA
    Graveyards R.I.P.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bpantell View Post
    Mount Shasta, CA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I have wondered about Mt Shasta area. Tons of federal forest lands and beautiful scenery. I have done lots of road bike riding there but not so much off road. Where are the good trails?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Well said Dave. This is a special fraternity/sorority unto its own. The few who do shuttle here are positively dangerous on the likes of Boiler or Manly which we all love to climb. It takes a special breed of rider to enjoy the form of trail riding found throughout the JDSF. Those purists who ride here and leave feeling fully rewarded are my kind of folks! I have met tons over the years being a Bike Sprite guide and as well as just another rider. The IPA only tastes better when it's earned. Do shuttle bunnies like Bud Lite? Maybe Keystone for the newbies?
    Did my first ride up there last month with group of guys from SoCo. Wow...that area is truely amazing! It was cold in the canyons but being able to ride year round is a big plus. My guess is there isn't enough lodging infrastructure up there to support huge crowds so you guys are probably safe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Vegas / Boulder City ... We have an amazing trail network, and our town is moving away from gaming as it's main draw for tourism. . .

... we just need to integrate MTB tours with our helicopter tours, and we'll be golden. We're already flying to the grand canyon, arches, etc. so we could easily be the hub for ALL the great trails in the southwest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is the next MTB boom town?-2018-01-02-08_47_41-trailforks-map.jpg  

L1MEY
    Caliente, NV seems to be positioning itself as a mountain biking destination... check out the thread in the NV forum. I have been bugging the parks department in Carson City about a bike park but haven't had a response. If Carson is serious about becoming a destination city then we need a good one to keep up with the bike parks in Incline, South Lake and Truckee.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Caliente, NV seems to be positioning itself as a mountain biking destination... check out the thread in the NV forum. I have been bugging the parks department in Carson City about a bike park but haven't had a response. If Carson is serious about becoming a destination city then we need a good one to keep up with the bike parks in Incline, South Lake and Truckee.

Why do you think you need a bike park to be a "destination"?

Plenty of great, well known areas without bike parks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bentonville, Arkansas.
    I've spent way too much time there in my career to go back.

mtbr member
    It seems like Bentonville is less about "if you build it they will come," and more about "if you build it maybe they won't leave"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    No one in their right mind goes to certain parts of Little Rock, race has nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately race has everything to do with it and these are legitimate concerns. Suggest you take your thoughts here: breitbart news

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by testa di cazzo View Post
    Unfortunately race has everything to do with it and these are legitimate concerns. Suggest you take your thoughts here: breitbart news
    No, race has zero to do with why one does not go to certain parts of Little Rock. Your implication that it does suggests you are merely projecting an internalized dilemma that you are wrestling with onto another. It's for the same reason one does not go to Rockaway Beach in MO at certain times.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Why do you think you need a bike park to be a "destination"?

Plenty of great, well known areas without bike parks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Because it makes sense to have one when all the surrounding areas also have them. Why handicap yourself by not having the same facilities as other local (competing) areas? The thing that would make Carson a standout is that the bike park could be used in winter, unlike those in Incline, Truckee or South Lake Tahoe which are covered in snow (or supposed to be) at this time of year.

Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Chiang Mai!!

before i die..i am riding there!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Mt. Shasta Area

Quote Originally Posted by XterraMike View Post
    I have wondered about Mt Shasta area. Tons of federal forest lands and beautiful scenery. I have done lots of road bike riding there but not so much off road. Where are the good trails?
    There are already a number of trails there, some legal some not. The local trail group is in the process of building 100 miles of new trail and and that includes DH specific trails that can be shuttled by a easy 10 minute drive for a 30 min DH.

The problem is the trails on the mountain itself turn to powder in the summer. If you think northstar is bad, it doesn't hold a candle to the volcanic ash that makes up Mt. Shasta. But with proper trail building techniques hopefully the builders will be able to remedy some of that with the new trails. Also, more trails are going to be going in on the other side of the valley and those should be less powdery.

I don't think it will every be a MECA but it will be worth a visit for sure!
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post

So on that I'll list Chico/Paradise as who I see doing it.
    Chico is land locked, nothing else going in there other than rumors of some trails being developed on private land. As for Paradise, I don't see them having the public land. I know under the radar stuff is popping up, but nothing big enough to get close to making it a destination. I live in Redding and the Chico people come up here to ride.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just throwing this out there how about Quincy

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by PMaj View Post
    Just throwing this out there how about Quincy
    The whole lakes basin area will continue to see growth in general tourism and even moreover as a mountain bike destination. Sierra Buttes is 'paving' the way. I live in Truckee and lost count as to how many weekends I spent up there away from crowds on epic trails followed by great beer at the Brewing Lair.

mtbr member
    Besides Mt Hough what trail options are there in Quincy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast