Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    JDSF/Mendocino sounds like my kind of place. Started riding mtb in Chico many years ago, but only rode once in the Mendocino area, one of the state parks. Did s lot of road bike touring on the Lost Coast back in the day. Beautiful area.
    Couldn't agree more. Ft. Bragg is a sleepy dusty little town on the coast most don't pay much attention to. But those trails ( yes, connected by logging roads) are amazing in the JDST. Rode in Aug 2017, going back for more Sept 2018. Not an easy one day drive from San Diego where I live, but a real change up in trail, terrain and environment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Caliente, NV seems to be positioning itself as a mountain biking destination...
    The trouble with Caliente (I've driven through it a couple of times, but haven't ridden there) is that it's *remote*: 2.5 hours drive from Las Vegas; 2 hours drive from St. George. This is the same problem that Austin, NV has (it also once tried to promote itself as a 'mountain biking destination').

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson View Post
    The trouble with Caliente (I've driven through it a couple of times, but haven't ridden there) is that it's *remote*: 2.5 hours drive from Las Vegas; 2 hours drive from St. George. This is the same problem that Austin, NV has (it also once tried to promote itself as a 'mountain biking destination').
    Yeah, a lot like Moab.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Yeah, a lot like Moab.
    Except that Caliente (and Austin) are a *lot* smaller than Moab, which was already a destination town in its own right, even before mountain biking became popular there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, a lot like Moab.
    If you think Austin is like Moab you must not have been there. It's a gas station and a cactus smack in the middle of HWY 50, literally called "The Loneliest Highway in the US." If you drive straight through on a weekday you might not see another car within 2 hours of either side of Austin.

I always laugh at that old sign passing through there, were there ever actual rideable trails there? All I could make out in the hills is some overgrown roads through the cow pasture. Ely has some nice trails though, they could get a good scene going out there if they put the effort in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhite415 View Post
    If you think Austin is like Moab you must not have been there. It's a gas station and a cactus smack in the middle of HWY 50, literally called "The Loneliest Highway in the US." If you drive straight through on a weekday you might not see another car within 2 hours of either side of Austin.

I always laugh at that old sign passing through there, were there ever actual rideable trails there? All I could make out in the hills is some overgrown roads through the cow pasture. Ely has some nice trails though, they could get a good scene going out there if they put the effort in.
    Comparing Austin to Moab may be a stretch, but it doesn't sound like you have been there either. There's enough singletrack there for a day's riding and several small businesses to support visitors. Nice hotspring nearby, too. I don't know that I would call it a destination, but it's certainly worth a stop if you were driving through or linking it with other places like Ely and Great Basin National Park. The lonely atmosphere of this area is part of its appeal to me. I always feel kind of like a lemming when visiting the big destinations. Way too crowded in season for my taste.
    Veni vidi velo!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Comparing Austin to Moab may be a stretch, but it doesn't sound like you have been there either. There's enough singletrack there for a day's riding and several small businesses to support visitors. Nice hotspring nearby, too. I don't know that I would call it a destination, but it's certainly worth a stop if you were driving through or linking it with other places like Ely and Great Basin National Park. The lonely atmosphere of this area is part of its appeal to me. I always feel kind of like a lemming when visiting the big destinations. Way too crowded in season for my taste.
    Agree. Austin is a nice place, and it can be a destination if you want a quiet area to spend a week. Hiking, biking, hunting, offroading, even fishing once you learn the area. All without having to wait in line at a trailhead.
    As for the Loneliest Highway schtick -- that is a chamber of commerce promo. 50 is not even the loneliest highway in Nevada.
    Moab is over hyped and overrated. Go once just to check it off your bucket list, then go to any of a dozen other places for better trails with no crowds.

mtbr member
    Most definitely Rancho Cordova, Lake Natoma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Georgetown CA

mtbr member
    Name:  whgeu72p7pl3uf2acp06_M.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  52.1 KB

Geneva Alabama... the flattish, sandy single track will bode well once riders switch from IPA's to legit southern moonshine.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ hahaha. Kinda like Waterdog on edibles.

Are we serious about Georgetown? Is there even a "there" there?! Is there a lot of building happening? I haven't seen anything yet in the videos that makes we want to pack my bags--or make me stop on the way to Tahoe. Hope I'm wrong!

Btw, don't get me wrong- it looks like a cool place to hit if you live in that area.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Moab is over hyped and overrated. Go once just to check it off your bucket list, then go to any of a dozen other places for better trails with no crowds.
    Not sure the last time you've been to Moab, but it keeps getting better and better every time I go with newly added trails. Sure, if you stick to the tourist trap trails that sucks but branching out to some of the newer stuff out by Navajo Rocks/Horsethief/Deadhorse/Mag7 area is pretty freaking awesome. The local joke of "what's your favorite trail in Moab"..."Fruita, CO" no longer applies. There is a crew building next level trail and destination infrastructure. Sure, its been discovered..but popular for a reason. Just camp outside of town and never go into Moab like I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Depends what you call a 'boom town'....if you just mean mountain biking, many small towns could become bigger destinations. But if you mean a place where you can live and work and enjoy culture, that narrows things down a lot. My vote is for Reno. That is a small city that is growing like weeds these days with very high employment and growth rates, and which has a ton of great trails...and an attitude that building more trails adds to the overall quality of life of the region.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    Depends what you call a 'boom town'....if you just mean mountain biking, many small towns could become bigger destinations. But if you mean a place where you can live and work and enjoy culture, that narrows things down a lot. My vote is for Reno. That is a small city that is growing like weeds these days with very high employment and growth rates, and which has a ton of great trails...and an attitude that building more trails adds to the overall quality of life of the region.
    Thing about Reno though is the traffic was bad before EDAWN etc. decided that massive horizontal growth was the only way to prosperity... It's gonna get nuts!
    I hope a 'conserve Peavine' movement gets going too. Most of Peavine's south side, up to the peak in places is private property and potentially developable. Last time I drove past, they are grading Cow Canyon down low for development, and Del Webb is spilling into Cow Canyon at the midpoint now...

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Are we serious about Georgetown? Is there even a "there" there?! Is there a lot of building happening? I haven't seen anything yet in the videos that makes we want to pack my bags--or make me stop on the way to Tahoe. Hope I'm wrong!
    I was just there, I think it's ready to go, just about. There isn't much building (AFAICT) if you're looking for jump lines (there were some, but it was primitive), as much as there's trails there that is pretty nice by itself. The shuttle made it, at least for me. I wouldn't want to peddle 8k in a day. The trails are not long (avg about 1.5 mile runs with 2.5 being the longest), that we rode down, but the terrain was very nice. Some of the trails reminded me of Sawpit and some UC trails, though not as steep. One, though, looked like it didn't belong with clay dirt and rocks. The terrain is more raw than built, a bit primitive. If that's not your thing, and want pristine groomed trails, then you won't like it. It may change as it grows, but the Moto guys may have words about that.

There's lots more than we were exposed to, but that's what we did in a day (7 runs).

It's also a neat little town. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it could've been due to the MTBR expedition. If I just dropped in, I wouldn't know what to do or where to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Thing about Reno though is the traffic was bad before EDAWN etc. decided that massive horizontal growth was the only way to prosperity... It's gonna get nuts!
    I hope a 'conserve Peavine' movement gets going too. Most of Peavine's south side, up to the peak in places is private property and potentially developable. Last time I drove past, they are grading Cow Canyon down low for development, and Del Webb is spilling into Cow Canyon at the midpoint now...
    Good post, Reno is growing, but I bet the folks from the Bay Area will laugh at our idea of bad traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We had a place near Bear Valley 20 years ago and rode everywhere between Avery and Ebbetts Pass. The trails then were really good for the time, and local infrastructure was pretty decent (Arnold to Lake Alpine), again for the time. But I think nowadays expectations are much higher for trails, facilities etc.

stop...safety first
    Nevada city is poised,
    The new hoot trail has brought crowds despiteís how short it is.
    The Ol Republic brewery is soon to open right there and the market has a good beer rack.
    A local group just got granted to build more.
    I regularly ride 20+ miles of all single track, all close by...not the remote stuff.

And as far as tickets...you have seriously seek out a trail which prohibits bikes. There are two, maybe three in whole county.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That's good to hear. A great little town and SO much potential for trails! I know they've been involved with the Amgen Tour a few times. It would be cool to see them embrace dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I canít believe no one has mentioned South Lake Tahoe yet. With TAMBA resurrected, and the work thatís been done the past few years, the Corral Trail and the Bike Park it seems poised. Great views all around. New Breweries and eating options in town plus opportunity to buy a fixer upper and create some pride of ownership. Oops did I just let the cat out of the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've got to agree. SLT is the best riding spot in NorCal, for sure. On top of Corral, you've got some of the most amazing stretches of the rim trail and its multiple options for descents back to lake level. Then you've got OTE providing great shuttle options.

NLT is running a close second, however, with lots of new trails being built, thanks to Truckee Trails and other smaller groups.

I think that the problem for most is just finding steady employment in the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Employment opportunities do exist, Business owners say they have a hard time finding qualified help, anyone with the ability to tele commute should check it out. Median home prices in SLT are $419k compared to $567k in Truckee

mtbr member
    May 2006
    what kind of employment opportunities exist?

If business owners have a hard time finding qualified help, that suggests they are not paying enough money to attract and keep it.

I'm surprised median home prices in SLT and Truckee are that low but I guess there are a lot of condos?

Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Employment opportunities do exist, Business owners say they have a hard time finding qualified help, anyone with the ability to tele commute should check it out. Median home prices in SLT are $419k compared to $567k in Truckee

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    what kind of employment opportunities exist?

If business owners have a hard time finding qualified help, that suggests they are not paying enough money to attract and keep it.

I'm surprised median home prices in SLT and Truckee are that low but I guess there are a lot of condos?
    Exactly, affordable housing abounds 🤡

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I suspect that most jobs up there are in the service industry, which doesn't pay well. And it's well known that mtn towns have had a scarcity of affordable housing for people who perform those jobs. Long term rentals have turned into AirBnB's, VRBO, time share, etc. And real estate prices have exploded in the last 5 years. I wonder how many people who works those jobs commute from Reno or Carson to Tahoe/Truckee?

Not surprising that business owners have a hard time finding qualified help.

Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Exactly, affordable housing abounds 🤡

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Awwww the Glory Days of the Graveyard. Good times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    Graveyards R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Perhaps when I finish up graduate school, I can head up that way and lend a helping hand You can see some of my sample work in this video (around 1:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0594fsaXA
    Awwww the Glory Days of the Graveyard. Good times.

Trail Gnome
    Itís quite obvious that Ukiah is the next MTB boom town...they have the new bike park going in, and there are two established breweries there...
    Ukiah Bike Park?
    Mendocino Brewing Co. :(

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Itís quite obvious that Ukiah is the next MTB boom town...they have the new bike park going in, and there are two established breweries there...
    Ukiah Bike Park?
    Mendocino Brewing Co. :(
    Hahaha

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Georgetown CA
    Plus 1 on this!

California Expeditions also offers shuttles in GT.
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LT - 2018 LG

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Susanville is doing its share. The FS, BLM, and County are building trails as fast as they get funding and planning/approvals. BLM just completed a 25+ mile trail system on Bald Mountain southeast of town, and the FS is in the planning stage of another ~30 mile trail network at Fredonyer Pass west of town. Long term plans include interconnecting all the trail areas from Almanor/Chester area to Susanville to the Modoc Trail all the way to Alturas, with bike-in campgrounds and coordinating the bus system to accommodate more bike riding shuttles. If everything comes to fruition, there would be several hundred miles of interconnected trails ranging from Rails-to-Trails to technical singletrack in varied terrain ranging from alpine forest to high desert.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Knoxville TN has blown up as a destination in the south.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    We spent a long weekend in Susanville last summer and were pretty impressed. Ranch Park has 29 miles of fun trails (Bone Yard is a nugget) and Bizz Johnson is a cool rails trail along the Susan River. They even have a legit brewery! Combine it with Quincy (Hough and South Park) and you can string a bunch of good days together. Of course, then you're really close to Graeagle for the trifecta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12