mtbr member

Where to live/ride near Roseville and what types of bikes would be good?

I got offered a job in Roseville and my family and I are thinking of moving from So Cal (Loma Linda).

Wanted to get some feedback about good areas to live within 20 minutes of Roseville that have access to riding: mountain bike trails but also group/club rides would be cool too. I have a road bike and a CX bike as well.

I was also wondering what type of terrain would be in the area and what type of bike would be the most fun.

I would personally be looking at just riding trails for fun and not necessarily racing.

I've owned different bikes in the past few years, just trying to search for what works. I had a Santa Cruz Blur TRc 26 inch then a Intense Recluse and now a Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5.

I could keep the Giant Anthem but our local shop has a good deal on a Trek Fuel EX 29 or a Pivot Mach 429 Trail. I was wondering if those types of bikes would be good for the riding in the area.

We were looking at possibly living in Auburn and I could drive to Roseville but are there other areas that would fit a lifestyle of a busy family guy who loves to ride?

Thanks in advance. If there are other threads that answer this same question I'm happy to just check those out as well.
    One Speed: All Out!

Hell you talmbout
    Roseville to Salmon Falls (El Dorado Hills), 30+ minutes. Good mountain biking.

American River bike trail; good training for road and cx, altho you have to watch your speed. And the homeless.
    I just stumbled across a meeting for clumsy people.

mtbr member
    A house near the intersection of Douglas Blvd and Sierra College Blvd would be nice, the drive to nearby trails would be under 20 minutes. This is near the border to Granite Bay which itself has the Folsom Lake mountain bike trails with various loop options of about 6 to 12 miles which also drains pretty well during the rainy season. It is possible to ride to the trails Finch stated above from the Folsom Lake trails. There are also some nice gems in the Secret Ravine/Miners Ravine trails in Roseville, however most are paved trails. There is a good number of road/mountain cycling clubs in the area for all skill levels to choose from.

I would say that a 100mm 29er hardtail or a 29er 120mm front and rear full suspension would be a solid choice, a bike with say 160mm travel would be a little overkill for the area. Both the Trek and the Pivot you are looking at would be excellent bikes for the area, your Anthem would also hold up well in the area.

There is also a excellent trail network up in Auburn/Foresthill which is closer to a 20 to 30min ride from Roseville but has some of the best trails in the area.

mtb'er
    "The closer you live to Folsom Lake, the happier you will be" is my motto. Riding from the house, taking dogs/family to the lake to hike/swim/explore, etc.

Anything close to this route (around mile 6... Sierra College Blvd.) and you're pedaling mostly dirt to the lake:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/744034351/overview

All bikes are good but around Folsom Lake, you can enjoy a 32lb full suspension bike one day, a hard tail 1x10 the next and a singlespeed the next.

Hunkering down in Auburn isn't bad either, and most of your recreation/riding will be in Auburn SRA and Hidden Falls Regional Park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live in Auburn and wouldn't move anywhere else. All types of riding and if you're commuting to Roseville and not vice versa you'll never have any traffic. Keep all your bikes because all types of trails here and also within 30 minute drive time

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. I did a quick search on the Nor Cal forum on "Roseville" and "Auburn" and got some good information as well. I'd love to keep the Anthem but I don't think I could afford more than one mountain bike right now and I'd like something that would be a good all around option that I "could" race on but still have fun on more technical terrain. The Anthem is just a little under-biked sometimes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm in Auburn as well. I just did 16 miles from my garage. The first 2 were pavement, then all nice trails in the ASRA. Personally, I can't stand Roseville (just to "busy" for me). But there are good schools and more shopping down there. I have a MTB, gravel, and road bike. There are lots of GREAT places to ride right from my garage on all three .

PS, if you or your family like to run Auburn is a mecca for trail running.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2017 Marin Nicasio custom build
    2013 Mount Vision XM6

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Oh, and I just picked up a Scott spark. I really think 120 front and rear is plenty for the area. Your Giant should suit you nicely here!
    Last edited by dfrink; 1 Week Ago at 01:28 PM.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2017 Marin Nicasio custom build
    2013 Mount Vision XM6

gimme friction
    My two bits? If you can buy in Auburn, do that. South of I80, pls. Then you can ride to trails. Plus epic road and mixed terrain from your porch.

Auburn is a rad town. I live in Rocklin and love it, but if I had to do over...

And you could still ride the roadie to work twice a week, if you wanted to.

Plus, Downieville, sub-90 minutes from Auburn...

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia View Post
    My two bits? If you can buy in Auburn, do that. South of I80, pls. Then you can ride to trails. Plus epic road and mixed terrain from your porch.

Auburn is a rad town. I live in Rocklin and love it, but if I had to do over...

And you could still ride the roadie to work twice a week, if you wanted to.

Plus, Downieville, sub-90 minutes from Auburn...
    +1 on this idea! I'm in Roseville and its basically 30min to the confluence/asra (auburn) or 30 min to Folsom Lake depending on which area of Roseville. Also look up the riding in Georgetown...that's another 20miles from asra, but worth the drive for new trails if you get tired of the 30+miles available in asra alone. Can't go wrong with Auburn!
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LT - 2018 LG

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I live in Granite Bay and love riding onto dirt right out of my driveway. That said I dont think you can go wrong focusing from Auburn down into Granite Bay the closer to the lake as possible or affordable. Folsom up into El Dorado Hills is nice as well just not as commutable to Roseville. Good luck!

A nice all around 100-120 mm Cross Country machine is the weapon of choice for the area with larger suspension unnecessary unless you travel up the hill to Tahoe or Downieville. Around the Folsom Lake trails even a gravel or CX bike is functional but not so much if you travel up into the hills farther.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    "The closer you live to Folsom Lake, the happier you will be" is my motto. Riding from the house, taking dogs/family to the lake to hike/swim/explore, etc.

Anything close to this route (around mile 6... Sierra College Blvd.) and you're pedaling mostly dirt to the lake:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/744034351/overview

All bikes are good but around Folsom Lake, you can enjoy a 32lb full suspension bike one day, a hard tail 1x10 the next and a singlespeed the next.

Hunkering down in Auburn isn't bad either, and most of your recreation/riding will be in Auburn SRA and Hidden Falls Regional Park.
    That route is gone. the water treatment plant put an electric fence in. Can't get through unless something changed in the last year.

mtbr member
    I work in Roseville and live in El Dorado Hills. Rad trails from my front door are easy to access. Closer to the goods up 50 if you're on the 50 corridor rather than on the 80 side (45 to sly park, 1 hr 15 to Oneidas). I commute home (work w/my wife and no shower at work) on mixed terrain and get 18 miles and 1000 feet of elevation while avoiding the sketchiest of traffic. EDH utilities suck compared to Folsom or Roseville. PG&E can eat a bag of d!ck5. My car commute is 20sih min to work in the AM and 25-30 home in the afternoon.

As far as bikes go for the area a HT will be fine and faster on most of the local stuff and a XC FS is a great one stable bike for the area.

I just sold my Bronson and got a TB because the Bronson was a turd wagon for anything below Sly Park. The TB is actually fun to ride around town.

IMO a 4-5" bike is plenty unless you go huge or want to spend a lot of time at Northstar.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    A nice all around 100-120 mm Cross Country machine is the weapon of choice for the area with larger suspension unnecessary unless you travel up the hill to Tahoe or Downieville. Around the Folsom Lake trails even a gravel or CX bike is functional but not so much if you travel up into the hills farther.
    I think this is all opinion based...everyone likes and rides differently so how much suspension and what type of bike will be up to you to figure out...that being said I have a 26" hard tail s.s. for granite bay and salmon falls, but prefer my 29er full-squish 160mm bike for most of auburn and everywhere else...only place I don't like it in Auburn is the FDLT...but the extra weight of the bike is worth the extra effort to ride the stuff I tend to ride. Lots of people do ride 100-120 mm for everything though! LOL
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LT - 2018 LG

Captain One Lung Administrator
    It all boils down to your skill level. If you are a top level rider then get whatever bike makes you happy. You've got the skill to ride it anywhere in this area. If you're less than expert level then you'll enjoy a longer travel bike when you start riding the Mammoth Bar OHV trails, Georgetown, Downieville, etc.. A solid 120-150mm bike is a good happy medium do it all bike for average riders and the pedaling penalty isn't that bad nowadays. If you don't enjoy charging down steep chunky trails then a good XC hardtail or 100mm FS will be awesome for the rest of the trails around here.

gimme friction
    EDH 20 min to Roseville? Is that in the Tesla jet?

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    That route is gone. the water treatment plant put an electric fence in. Can't get through unless something changed in the last year.
    ?? I haven't been out there for quite some time... but some peeps are riding it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1419634961/overview

https://www.strava.com/activities/1488009352/overview

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia View Post
    EDH 20 min to Roseville? Is that in the Tesla jet?
    I guess it depends on where in EDH you start from and where in Roseville you stop. I live in Crown and work on E. Rsvl Pkwy near Douglass. Depending on when I leave I can definitely make it in just over 20 min.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    ?? I haven't been out there for quite some time... but some peeps are riding it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1419634961/overview

https://www.strava.com/activities/1488009352/overview
    Cool! Ill have to add back to my commute variation once it dries out again.

mtbr member
    All this is super good information. Thanks everyone. When I was flying solo the riding scene and trails were probably the top issue on my pros/cons list.

Now with family (wife with three young boys 7/4/1) the place to live has to do more with the school district, does the house have a yard, is it close to groceries etc. Haha, adulting I guess.

That being said I think we're narrowing it down to either Auburn (mostly likely south Auburn) or Rocklin a little more East. Granite Bay seems like it would be awesome but the houses are a little more pricey.

Folsom seems nice too but not sure on the commute times. We'll check those places out though just to see how it is.

If we decide on Rocklin, are there places to ride on trails nearby or is it more having to drive to get to trails. I'm assuming there should be decent road riding in the area though.

Thanks again everyone! The MTB community really does weigh in so that's super helpful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There is a small trail network just north of Park Dr/Whitney Ranch Pkwy. Considering where it is, its pretty cool. Not super fast but still fun.
    38.843761,-121.238844

There is also a small trail network in miners ravine area. this area gets used by motos and 4 wheelers so trails arent always buffed. but people are building some big jumps out there right now.
    38.774748, -121.232051
    I hope the lat longs help you.

mtbr member
    Where in Roseville will you be working? We recently moved out of Sacramento, and the original target was Auburn (more Christian Valley but still). When we looked at my commutes for work, and also schools, we moved on to the 50 side to Shingle Springs. The Buckeye Union School District is a fantastic school district. I also much prefer El Dorado County to Placer or Sacramento County.

From my house I can hit Green Valley Rd. and be in Roseville (think automall area) in about 25 minutes. I can ride from my garage to a bunch of singletrack right across the street, or drive about 7 minutes to the El Dorado trail, which is like 30-40 miles of singletrack. I haven't even begun to explore the bulk of it yet (if this damn rain would stop though...). I can get to the trails in Auburn in 45 minutes, which is about how long the drive was from my house in Sacramento. In addition to that I'm super close to the Salmon Falls trail and all the fun stuff to ride around Sly Park.

Shingle Springs is definitely more rural than Auburn, but I'm still 5 minutes from some nice grocery stores. Target is only 15 minutes, and then you're in Town Center/EDH and the Palladio is just over the hill. Give this area a look too.
    :wq

gimme friction
    Rocklin is choice for all that family stuff. Those are the same reasons we moved here 10 years ago.

Rocklin has some trails to ride, but it is really limited. If you expect nothing, you will be pleasantly surprised.

The reality is that you are driving to trails from Rocklin. Now, it is a short drive...20 minutes and you are at Granite Bay or Auburn, so good options, but yes, a drive.

The road biking is where it's at, IMO. Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle/Auburn and beyond, so much good riding. Semi-epic mixed terrain once you get up higher, too. On Sunday, I did 50 miles that included over 10 miles of singletrack. That sort of day has me smiling all week.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Hell you talmbout
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I work in Roseville and live in El Dorado Hills. Rad trails from my front door are easy to access. Closer to the goods up 50 if you're on the 50 corridor rather than on the 80 side (45 to sly park, 1 hr 15 to Oneidas). I commute home (work w/my wife and no shower at work) on mixed terrain and get 18 miles and 1000 feet of elevation while avoiding the sketchiest of traffic. EDH utilities suck compared to Folsom or Roseville. PG&E can eat a bag of d!ck5. My car commute is 20sih min to work in the AM and 25-30 home in the afternoon.

As far as bikes go for the area a HT will be fine and faster on most of the local stuff and a XC FS is a great one stable bike for the area.

I just sold my Bronson and got a TB because the Bronson was a turd wagon for anything below Sly Park. The TB is actually fun to ride around town.

IMO a 4-5" bike is plenty unless you go huge or want to spend a lot of time at Northstar.
    I would like to subscribe to your blog, based mainly on "turd wagon."

I just stumbled across a meeting for clumsy people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HalomTano Biking View Post
    All this is super good information. Thanks everyone. When I was flying solo the riding scene and trails were probably the top issue on my pros/cons list.

Now with family (wife with three young boys 7/4/1) the place to live has to do more with the school district, does the house have a yard, is it close to groceries etc. Haha, adulting I guess.

That being said I think we're narrowing it down to either Auburn (mostly likely south Auburn) or Rocklin a little more East. Granite Bay seems like it would be awesome but the houses are a little more pricey.
    Bowman Charter School is A great school K to 8th in Auburn.

I previously lived in Auburn and Foresthill.So when we moved back from PNW about 5 years ago.We really did not look at other areas around as we bought A house from A family member that is in the Bowman school district.

I also like Loomis and Penryn area.Some nice homes with acres and oak trees and closer to more stores.
    Last edited by jjbnum3; 2 Days Ago at 02:04 AM.