Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ballbuster

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
    Yup. I've done that, got told to screw.

But I'm also referring to those posts that go: "$XXXX NO LOW BALL OFFERS WILL NOT GO LOWER."

All caps too.
    ... couldn't hurt to ask.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I think Rumpfy is right on. He should know too, since he is the king of CL, fleabay, MTBR buying/selling.

CL tips:
    Take a pic of your name and phone and post that as a pic among your bike/item pics. Then state clearly in the ad that you only can be contacted via phone/txt. That way you should be able to delete all emails from the prince of Nigeria.
    You'll get lots of emails asking if the 'item' is still available. Delete all those.
    As for lowball offers, well, just ignore them. CL is free, and MTBR is only $2, set your expectations appropriately.

Boxing and shipping bikes is such a pain, I try to avoid it at all costs. Last 2 bikes I sold this year I had to ship. Both were CL and out of town/state buyers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I only sell my stuff on CL. I've bought on ebay but never sell there. I don't like shipping and I don't like dealing non face to face. I use all the standard safety procedures people have mentioned above (except the one from rensho about taking a pic of your phone number and name - awesome idea). I have throway email ID's that I use to respond to CL emails so that I am not bombarded with spam later (a lot of responses to CL ads are just to get your email ID to sell). I never, ever negotiate over email. The people that respond to your ad with "Will you take $X?" - I will always tell them to just come see the item. That way they have made an investment in time and when they see it I MIGHT entertain a lower offer or negotiations. If you're buying something NEVER tell the seller that you're coming from 50 miles away! I never negotiate with these guys - I know they're probably going to buy it even if I don't drop the price by a penny. I've bought and sold bikes and components on CL and have always had good experiences, fair to me and fair to the buyer/seller. It's not really rocket science.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Lots of great ideas here and I have used them all. My favorite place to meet is the Banks with outside ATM's,they have lots of video coverage and people around, quite often its a Mall setting. Safer and when someone pulls the "I am short on Cash" trick, lower than the price offered, you can point to ATM, and say he can get cash there.

98% of the time it works out.
    Tahoe29er

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    I think Rumpfy is right on. He should know too, since he is the king of CL, fleabay, MTBR buying/selling.
    Ha! Ya, several several hundred at this point.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Lots of great ideas here and I have used them all. My favorite place to meet is the Banks with outside ATM's,they have lots of video coverage and people around, quite often its a Mall setting. Safer and when someone pulls the "I am short on Cash" trick, lower than the price offered, you can point to ATM, and say he can get cash there.

98% of the time it works out.
    Holy **** that ATM point is actually pretty genius. I usually meet at In N' Outs but will be changing to banks now hahaha
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Just sold my 2007 Nomad on CL. Met the guy in a Petco parking lot at night. I had a good sense for him after talking "bikes" on the phone - he knew about what he was buying. I have a CCW permit, so I still took the 9mm in case some thugs showed up to beat me down, but as soon as he pulled up and got out of the car, I knew it was all good. Nice guy and a good deal for both of us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've only sold on CL but purchased on Ebay, mostly with good results. I just am not that organized to sell on ebay and deal with shipping, payment, fees, etc.

Its true you may not get as much on CL as other venues, but when you factor in your time and other costs, it seems about the same to me. I decide on the price I am willing to take, bump it up a little and then prepare myself for whatever offers might come ahead of time. Then its easy, if someone tries to lowball you, to say "I can't go lower than $XX"

Its haggling, which we Americans are not very comfortable with. But you have to be willing to walk away from a sale. And its that attitude that usually clenches the sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2