mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Where do you park for Stevens Canyon trail entering from Cupertino?

I am sort of a newbie and I am accessing the mountain bike trails around Cupertino. I read someone mention about the Stevens Canyon trail, accessing from Cupertino side. I drove there this afternoon but I couldn't figure out where to park on the stevens canyond road unless you park next to the dam, which you would have a very long pavement ride. There are some pullouts along the steven canyon road very close to the end of pavement (There are a lot of families actually living along the road.) But it all says "No Parking".

So where do you guys park your car if you decide to take this trail? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do you park for Stevens Canyon trail entering from Cupertino?-capture.png  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Some parking spots mentioned below:
    - Stevens Canyon - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

I always ride there from my place in Santa Clara, about 10 miles to the Montebelllo Rd. turn off and 15 to the gate at the end of Stevens Canyon Rd. It would be about 5.5 miles of pavement from the dam parking. Not a bad ride and I like the descent on the pavement, and the climb is nice and you get a good warmup by the time you get to the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Some parking spots mentioned below:
    - Stevens Canyon - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

I always ride there from my place in Santa Clara, about 10 miles to the Montebelllo Rd. turn off and 15 to the gate at the end of Stevens Canyon Rd. It would be about 5.5 miles of pavement from the dam parking. Not a bad ride and I like the descent on the pavement, and the climb is nice and you get a good warmup by the time you get to the dirt.
    The link mentioned the closest parking spot to the gate is on Redwood Gulch road just off the intersection with Stevens Canyon Road. But I didn't see any parking there. Only a house and two pull outs. Does he mean the pull outs?

There are always cars on the Stevens Canyon Rd and they are not slow at all. Sometimes u will see some racer-wannbe riced-up Civics, Integras, E36s, R32 there doing spirited driving at 80MPH. I think it's dangerous. So I just wanna minimize my ride on pavement there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Never parked up there myself, but I see folks loading/unloading bikes from vehicles parked in the various pullouts along the road. Seems like off to the left side just before the RWG turn is usually a vehicle or two. Likewise see some parked down lower just past one of the bridge crossings.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Depending on what you had in mind to ride, you might also consider parking at the reservoir and riding up Montebello Rd. and down Canyon, back out on the road to your car. It is a great ~25mi loop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidation View Post
    The link mentioned the closest parking spot to the gate is on Redwood Gulch road just off the intersection with Stevens Canyon Road. But I didn't see any parking there. Only a house and two pull outs. Does he mean the pull outs?
    Yes. I mean the first sizable pull-out on your way up Redwood Gulch Road, on the right. It has space for four or five cars.

I think there's also a signed trailhead further up Stevens Canyon Road (on your left as you head in) that has room for maybe two cars, but I can't put a finger on where exactly it falls on the map. (The sign is tiny and very easy to miss, too.)
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't concern myself too much about riding the paved part of Stevens Canyon once you get past the Mount Eden intersection, it's been my experience that traffic up there is usually pretty light and bike friendly. When I do park up in that area I park at the intersection of Mount Eden and Stevens Canyon. There's a few parking spaces outside the gate of the parking lot of you can pay and park in the parking lot.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I always do the ride Rensho mentioned. I like the pavement climb up Montebello. When I do this ride I park up Stevens Canyon Road between Alcalde and Santa Lucia road. I'd rather ride a little more than pay to park at the Reservoir lot. I don't think I'd be comfortable parking anywhere on the section of SCR once it turns away from the Reservoir - no interactions with the local residents would be best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Google maps gives an approximate address of 14789 Stevens Canyon Road, Cupertino, for the little county park/picnic area that's on your left, going up Stevens Canyon just after the Mt. Eden intersection and right across the road from the former Camp Costanoan. You might want to check that out.

Best wishes.