mtbr member

Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?

Hello,

We got a lot of rain and then some sun today. My SB66c is dusty... Where should I ride in the bay area tomorrow: Skeggs, Water Dog, or in my garage?
    Thanks!

Hoki

NONDURO
    If you donít mind boring-ass fireroad climbs, Kennedy/Sierra Azul is open. Was just there today, and the soil is fine, with some wet spots here and there.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    If you donít mind boring-ass fireroad climbs, Kennedy/Sierra Azul is open. Was just there today, and the soil is fine, with some wet spots here and there.
    What he said.

Most things on the Santa Cruz side of the hills will be a mess.

Did I mention, the traction on Kennedy/Sierra Azul is pretty darn nice?

-j

bike buster
    If you don't mind the drive, a few of us went out to Ft. Ord today and conditions were excellent. And it's a lot more fun than Kennedy.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the answers. Never been to Kennedy nor to Ft. Ord. I read a lot about Kennedy and I wonder if I'm in the right shape for it (after the Christmas food and alcohol excesses...)!

mtbr member
    I'm gonna hit Skeggs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Darn. I thinking I might hit Wilder Ranch for some mileage - but it looks like Santa Cruz as a whole got pretty waterlogged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2 View Post
    If you don't mind the drive, a few of us went out to Ft. Ord today and conditions were excellent. And it's a lot more fun than Kennedy.
    I'm thinking of heading down to Ord in the next day or two, but I'm not too familiar with the place. Any must-ride (or must-avoid) trails? Or better yet, a Strava trace of a 3-4 hour ride that is mostly singletrack? I tried the Sea Otter course once - it was a little heavy on the fireroads for a recreational ride.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokidachi View Post
    I read a lot about Kennedy and I wonder if I'm in the right shape for it (after the Christmas food and alcohol excesses...)!
    I make it a habit of riding there the morning after binge drinking. For me, it seems to be a great from of anaerobic training.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Similar in dryness and climb intensity to Kennedy is Mission Peak off Stanford in fremont. It should be either tacky or dry right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    I'm thinking of heading down to Ord in the next day or two, but I'm not too familiar with the place. Any must-ride (or must-avoid) trails? Or better yet, a Strava trace of a 3-4 hour ride that is mostly singletrack? I tried the Sea Otter course once - it was a little heavy on the fireroads for a recreational ride.
    ditto. Or a mostly single track ride at coe would be sweet too

mtbr member
    Have heard Oat Hill Mine is a good winter choice if you're willing to drive a bit. Am planning to hit it up for the first time on Sun (or Sat if the storm passes).

Anyone else thinking of riding there this weekend?

ask
    user
    Aug 2009
    Anyone hit Skeggs this week?

NedwannaB

Possibly

Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Have heard Oat Hill Mine is a good winter choice if you're willing to drive a bit. Am planning to hit it up for the first time on Sun (or Sat if the storm passes).

Anyone else thinking of riding there this weekend?
    Have to open job and get crew started in Napa on Sat, was thinking after that sometime, weather permitting. Not that it would be a problem unless it's really coming down which makes it abit less fun towards the top.

What time were you thinking Sun??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What time were you thinking Sun??
    Probably not before 10/10:30 as I'm coming from Oakland; plus thought it might be wise to let it warm up a bit.

NedwannaB

Definetly let warm up

Probably not before 10/10:30 as I'm coming from Oakland; plus thought it might be wise to let it warm up a bit.
    Skyline is right near my job, if you haven't ridden there. Might be abit muckier than OHM if rain comes in tonight tho. I'm playing it by ear and throwing bike in truck since I'm coming over anyway. Oat will be good Sat/Sunday. PM if you're up for it.

Napa/Calistoga areas show no percip tomorrow/Sunday. Guess we'll have to stick our head outside each day and see, just like the weather forecasters!
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-28-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you see someone with a purple helmet and a vitamin p green Ibis, say hi. I'll be there about that time on Sunday.

bike buster
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    I don't know Ord that well, but justjeff is pretty familiar with it. He set tburger, rho and I up with a good route. Here's what we rode: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Fort Ord! near Salinas | Times and Records | Strava. I know enough to know that the Sea Otter course maximizes lameness. We blasted down a descent that is a climb in the race and were all thankful to not be climbing it. We did miss the 'Goat' descent, which is a good one.

I really do need to head out there more often. It's only an hour away and actually pretty fun, though there aren't a lot of footies to be had.

singletrack bound
    Ord is good to go!

After last Sundays ride I had to replace front and rear pads and the brakes are workin' good again.

. Bikes came back clean with sand on the treads!
    I don't have a garmin but a free-bee app on my I phone.
    overall time was 2:21 with ride time 2:03 18.33 miles
    started out @ inter-garrison went out to the lookout across to Jacks up and over Sh$t house down 43 and back over to the ridge and down 68 to 59 (blair w) out 69 and back to inter garrison. no standing water at all with super tack!!!!
    nice loop with multiple up's and down's

had two separate bobcat sightings, one in that open meadow pic @ the bottom shi$t house, both animals were in stunning shape with a nice heavy winter coat.

go get some!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?-fort-vi.jpg  

Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?-fort-vii.jpg  

Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?-fort-iv.jpg  

Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?-fort-iii.jpg  

Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?-fort-ii.jpg  

Where can I ride this Friday (12/28)?-fort-v.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Ord was in great shape yesterday. Trail 62 was awesome, Didn't go in a straight line for more than about 10 ft.

singletrack bound
    yeah, left on Machine Gun Flats Rd. down the road a bit then a right onto 62 is a blast down to the top of 50. That's a nice change from going the other direction.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Anyone hit Skeggs this week?
    I did, today: Trail condition update 12/24 onward?
    Ridin' & Diggin'