mtbr member

When will Tahoe be rideable?

So with all this nice weather it has me itching to get up into the mountains and get on the bike. With the amount of snow when do you really think Tahoe, Dville and higher elevation trails will be clear. Most resorts are stating they will be open to the end of April and Squaw is saying till July. With a 600" snow pack my guess is some of the higher trails won't be clear till Aug and anything above 6500' won't be clear till late June at this rate.

I also have a suspicion that we may see some severe trail damage on a lot of stuff under 6500'. All that rain we got in Jan made some pretty crazy streams under the snow pack and was pretty devastation to the water system up here.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Hole in the Ground? Opening date is August 15.
    IPA will save America

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I think it's more likely that you'll be backcountry skiing than mountain biking above 7,000 feet in June. And north-facing parts of the trails will have drifts through late July. For a point of reference, we hit a bunch of drifts last June while riding trails in the highway 89 corridor. The snowpack this year is a couple feet deeper, although we're looking at some considerable meltage in the next 10 days (at least).

I'd be poking around Auburn/Nevada City if you need to get your fix.

mtbr member
    What tires should I run for Hole In The Ground?
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    I think it's more likely that you'll be backcountry skiing than mountain biking above 7,000 feet in June. And north-facing parts of the trails will have drifts through late July. For a point of reference, we hit a bunch of drifts last June while riding trails in the highway 89 corridor. The snowpack this year is a couple feet deeper, although we're looking at some considerable meltage in the next 10 days (at least).

I'd be poking around Auburn/Nevada City if you need to get your fix.
    I have been riding Auburn a ton lately but haven't made it to anywhere around Nevada City yet this year. There is defiantly going to be a problem with northern and eastern facing slopes for a good while this summer. I do think we are going to get some good melt in the coming days but the snow pack is crazy dense this year because we have had huge storms then rain to harden it up then another huge storm right after.

I haven't owned a DH bike in a few years now but N* come to mind and with the amount of snow they have right now I wonder if they even have a June opening date on the forecast for this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Schwalbe Kojak Slicks
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    I have been riding Auburn a ton lately but haven't made it to anywhere around Nevada City yet this year. There is defiantly going to be a problem with northern and eastern facing slopes for a good while this summer. I do think we are going to get some good melt in the coming days but the snow pack is crazy dense this year because we have had huge storms then rain to harden it up then another huge storm right after.

I haven't owned a DH bike in a few years now but N* come to mind and with the amount of snow they have right now I wonder if they even have a June opening date on the forecast for this year.
    There's considerably less snow at Northstar than on the crest. At similar elevations and aspects (~6200 feet, north facing) this past weekend, there was maybe 3-4 feet on the ground at Northstar, and 5-7 feet at Squaw. Even so, I wouldn't be making non-refundable plans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it depends what you mean by 'Tahoe'...if you mean the TRT from the meadows, or even higher up, forget June..maybe July if the weather stays warm. They have an incredible amount of snow up there even though it has been melting fast the past few days. Lower down I'd agree, you might be able to do some of the lower stuff in June. The issue as others have said may be trail damage down low where they had very big rains in between massive snows. Hard to say until the snow melts. Higher up it has been all snow so that's not a worry. I ride in the Reno area, and the Peavine trails have been badly damaged by the record rains there..that could be a sign of what is around a little higher up.

We are scheduled to do a back country hike in the Yosemite high country in early August, and are worried they won't open up the camps this summer.

That makes me smart
    I can see snow on the mountains from Stockton.

Don't hold your breath. (Unless you're in Stockton.)

mtbr member
    July August but elevation dependant is my guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hiya,

Another aspect to consider is the amount of downed trees in the area. I have NEVER seen so many in my 20+ years of living/riding up here. We have been livin' the dream the past 6 years due to the drought. But this year the wind was incredible, and it is going to take DAYS of chainsaw work to get things cleaned up. On top of the redic amount of snow we have (and moisture in it) it is going to be a short season fur shure...

josh

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Very true. I know a crew that does some early season saw work on stuff in the Truckee-Tahoe City corridor. They're busy backcountry skiing for the foreseeable future, but that's their lunch ride, so I imagine it'll be clear just as soon as the trail is rideable.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
    Hiya,

Another aspect to consider is the amount of downed trees in the area. I have NEVER seen so many in my 20+ years of living/riding up here. We have been livin' the dream the past 6 years due to the drought. But this year the wind was incredible, and it is going to take DAYS of chainsaw work to get things cleaned up. On top of the redic amount of snow we have (and moisture in it) it is going to be a short season fur shure...

josh
    Correct!!!!

Also, the key, most important factor here is how much snow is going to in the next two months. zero or 10 feet??

That's why this query is unanswerable and we're all just screwing around opening the popcorn. As it stands, folk are saying a very late winter. late july perhaps. But who knows? It could be early july or late august.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perfect fat bike conditions now however...there is always a silver lining...

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    On Tuesday in Tahoe Keys, snow was 2 feet deep everywhere. Driving through Sunnyside, east facing, all homes roofs had 7-10 feet, along with their decks. It was like driving in a maze. At Dollar point, some homes had 5 ft on roofs, sun exposed roofs had 0-1 foot. I was pretty bummed, as I want to Mountain Bike there now. Keep in mind, this was all at 6000 ft. Damn.