Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Sure, tough when you are being a dick to your customers.

    We are all in some business. Why nobody feels like it is a charitable thing to support MY business? Why do you feel like I need to pay more than some goods are worth to support YOU?

    And where are the bikes you sell made?
    Sounds like you haven't been in the ratio field ever.

    I agree with him. I would say the same thing. If you want a price match don't do it right in front of them or compare amazon. That's f'n retarded.

  2. #52
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I agree with him. I would say the same thing. If you want a price match don't do it right in front of them or compare amazon. That's f'n retarded.
    No, that is f'n normal. If he can't stomach it and be polite in response he deserves to go out of business.

    My customers always try to pay me less. It would be stupid to expect otherwise.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Over the last two months I have bought 3 new mtb bikes totaling around 4500, 3 different shops. Shopped the Bay area for each one price wise and visited a bunch of different shops. I saved a minimum of 400 on each bike without haggling and walked out of each shop happy as a customer. They got their asking price and I got a great deal, pretty simple stuff in my opinion. I support the LBS in my area for 90% of all our aftermarket needs and all of service/labor stuff. Being around the motorcycle scene all of my life I've found great rewards in establishing a relationship with the local shop. Whether it be clothing, parts, advice or just dropping in to BS I enjoy my LBS!

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Sure, tough when you are being a dick to your customers.

    We are all in some business. Why nobody feels like it is a charitable thing to support MY business? Why do you feel like I need to pay more than some goods are worth to support YOU?

    And where are the bikes you sell made?
    No being a dick is walking into a business and start scanning everything you want in front of everyone including the bus. Owner. Maybe you should go and try it and see what kind of response you get.

    I have many customers whom will say "hey is that the best you can do" or " I have seen it for less, can you do anything" and for those I will usually adjust to make a sale.
    I do not own a bike business, but regardless of the business you can not sell everything at the margins things are sold at on the internet and stay in business.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    I might be wrong but dont LBS usually make most of their income on services, not goods? I may purchase emergency parts from an LBS, such as a broken spoke or missing skewer, but for regular items, I think most people get it online or at larger retailers. Who doesnt want to save money?

    I think one could support their LBS by giving positive feedback to others or online, and of course, by using their services. I rarely see people shopping for clothes or parts at my LBS, but their service waiting list is like 2 weeks out...
    Agreed. It cost me 33 bucks to get a spoke fixed on a road wheel, and 100 dollars to service a fork. I think thats how these LBS' make their money mostly.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

  6. #56
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Whason View Post
    Agreed. It cost me 33 bucks to get a spoke fixed on a road wheel, and 100 dollars to service a fork. I think thats how these LBS' make their money mostly.
    wow, pure gold spoke and a Bos fork or something? That's insane!

    if it happens to be a fox/rs fork, I'll rebuild it for free next time (just buy the seals/orings).

    And I'll even give YOU a beer while you wait if you're local. Nobody should pay a hundred bux to service a fork.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    424
    Yah. The spoke was a dt swiss and cost three bucks, but they trued the wheel afterweards to them justifying the 30 dollar cost. The 100 bucks is incuding the seals and stuff. I do need to learn how to service the fork myself.

    Are you in the SOuth bay? Does your LBS do these two repairs for significantly less?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    wow, pure gold spoke and a Bos fork or something? That's insane!

    if it happens to be a fox/rs fork, I'll rebuild it for free next time (just buy the seals/orings).

    And I'll even give YOU a beer while you wait if you're local. Nobody should pay a hundred bux to service a fork.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    "So, the question is: when is added cost becomes too much to support your LBS. "
    My 0.02. I guess for you the answer is about $40 to $50.

    For me, building a relationship with and supporting a good LBS is not dictated by single purchases, but rather the long haul. Spending a premium over the best web deal from time to time can help start that relationship, which in my experience can grow pretty quickly into nice discounts, help on a moment's notice for repairs, and free service for occasional drop ins for quick "I'd rather a shop do this with the right tools" tasks like headset install etc. Which in turn leads me to help promote them as a great shop, and buy bikes from them etc.. you can always have a chat with them too, see if they are willing to offer some discount... "any chance giving the price a haircut if I buy these brakes and shorts"? this can always be done in a nice way in my opinion... money doesn't grow on trees for anyone, us or thrEe shop, so its an understandable question.
    Well put ...thanks ,

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    424
    That below is well written. I do get quick service, and I've been going to my current LBS for >5 years, they do things fast for me and they know my name. I continue to do service with them. It is expensive, and I probably will never buy a bike from them because of the markups. I think I do plenty to support by just taking the bikes to them for maintenance. They obviously pay their mechanics fairly well, they have had the same ones for nearly 4 years since I've been going there. I don't feel the need to buy bikes from them, other people buy bikes from them and I've noticed that they have stopped putting high end bikes on display in their store because I suspect the majority of people buy the 1000-3000 dollar bikes. I don't think they are really even aiming at us anymore. (By us I mean MTBR scanning bike junkies who think spending 4k on a bike is a good deal (because the msrp would have been 7k)

    Nobody should ever feel guilt like they need to support their LBS. If its much cheaper online buy it online, LBS will either react, or retire.

    I live in an area where there are alot of bike shops. There is another LBS that does the same repairs for about 20% less. I take stuff to them from time to time.

    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    "So, the question is: when is added cost becomes too much to support your LBS. "
    My 0.02. I guess for you the answer is about $40 to $50.

    For me, building a relationship with and supporting a good LBS is not dictated by single purchases, but rather the long haul. Spending a premium over the best web deal from time to time can help start that relationship, which in my experience can grow pretty quickly into nice discounts, help on a moment's notice for repairs, and free service for occasional drop ins for quick "I'd rather a shop do this with the right tools" tasks like headset install etc. Which in turn leads me to help promote them as a great shop, and buy bikes from them etc.. you can always have a chat with them too, see if they are willing to offer some discount... "any chance giving the price a haircut if I buy these brakes and shorts"? this can always be done in a nice way in my opinion... money doesn't grow on trees for anyone, us or the shop, so its an understandable question.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

  10. #60
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,064
    a couple of things to add:

    1) Some of the local shops charge over MSRP. They make up their own price by adding 10-15% over the MSRP. I'm sure that is the case here with the original poster. It is pretty obscene so just don't buy there.

    2) You pay more at an LBS because there's always a sale somewhere at the internets. The better your relationship is with the LBS, the more you're willing to pay more. If they're experts, and they're nice to you, that's worth a premium. If they're jerks that don't give you the time of day, it's not.

    3) Some bike shops will rape you on cables and things. $3 a foot and 50 cents a ferrule is not uncommon for parts that should cost 1/5 of that. Stay away from these shops.

    4) "We can special order that for you." That's not going to work anymore.

    5) Shops that have demo days, trail work, group rides, free clinics, swap meets, local school supports deserve more of your dollar.

    fc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •