Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Wēk Ss

what's rideable this weekend?

other than sierra azul.

sc/wilder?
    demo?

not sure what to make of the forecasts or how much rain is expected.

Puro Vida!
    Kennedy! Road ride!

Puro Vida!
    Hope doesn't rain to much Saturday-

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    other than sierra azul.

sc/wilder?
    demo?

not sure what to make of the forecasts or how much rain is expected.
    also subscribed to this thread, was hoping to ride demo on sat AM, but the various forecasts are conflicting.

north bay (santa rosa/annadel), indicates rain on and off throughout the weekend into next week as multiple fronts move thru, but south bay (san jose) just has rain on fri, but overcast on sat and sun (if its not too heavy, it might make for good conditions at demo?)
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They were grading Hihn's Mill between Braille and Sulphur Springs yesterday, so if it does rain, be ready for some softer-than-normal fire roads at Demo. Also the recent work on Sulphur may get sloppy if it rains much.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Road ride!
    Wet road is bad, slippery on paint (road lines, limit lines, etc.). Not going to even bother.

mtbr member
    Wet road is bad, slippery on paint (road lines, limit lines, etc.). Not going to even bother.
    And hurts more than mud.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    You can't really tell. Just stick your tongue out of the window on saturday morning and make the call.

The data point is all trails right now are absolutely perfect. None are waterlogged yet.

So the critical part is how much rain has actually fallen in the last 48 hours before you ride. Inches matter. Tenths of an inch are a joke. Then understand that it's a Northern storm so the more south you go, the less rain you get.

So I suspect all the usual jaunts will be good except for the sticky trail and skyline blvd trails. Kennedy and Ord are always there when it's pouring inches.

fc

VRC Illuminati
    Isn't everyone practicing hauling turkeys up Kennedy anyway?

Or if you're Kramer, working on a 10/20 record.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    stationary bike or elliptical!

rho
    Life is strange
    If it ends up being >~1" of rain ill be hitting up st joes and doin laps! Or running. Or maybe going for a hike in the rain. Or a cross race. Or a road ride.

If its just little bits here and there... Ill be out somewhere on dirt!

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like total accumulation ~ 1" by Sunday morning in the East Bay. Sunday should be fairly dry.

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.02N 122.13W (Elev. 66 ft)

Mtn View, CA
    Surf City Cyclocross in Watsonville on Sunday.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    If it ends up being >~1" of rain ill be hitting up st joes and doin laps! Or running. Or maybe going for a hike in the rain. Or a cross race. Or a road ride.

If its just little bits here and there... Ill be out somewhere on dirt!

Sent by smoke signal.
    This. St joes is always ridable after heavy rain. Most usually...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    stationary bike or elliptical!
    God just killed a kitten because you mentioned such things.

I was going to go to a BMX flatland Jam in Santa Roas this weekend, but I think that thing is going to get rained out. I was looking forward to it, too.

Oh, well. If all looks good, I'm going to be goofing off and testing my new-to-me 150mm Revelation fork.

mtbr member
    I rode Demo today and ALL fireroads were graded including a reGrade of Sulfer (another round beyond the first one last week). If it rains, it will be really muddy as there are loose/dust bowl spots everywhere. I ran into Ed on my way out and he says we should not ride Demo this weekend if it rains...if you do, it will probably suck. Just sayin'
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If the BMX thing falls through, I'm going to edit my last riding footage. That's just like actually riding, from my desk, drinking cold coffee.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    If the BMX thing falls through, I'm going to edit my last riding footage. That's just like actually riding, from my desk, drinking cold coffee.
    If it rains decently and St Joes becomes a viable option, you in for some loops?

Inspector Gadget
    Oat hill mine
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Wēk Ss
    If it rains decently and St Joes becomes a viable option, you in for some loops?
    I'm probably going to ride Kennedy in that case. Got the single speed set up, and going to suffer up it. Shooting for 3+ hours, 32x18 pain....maybe I should set it up for 32x20 instead.

St. Joe's might be more enjoyable though, since it's not as steep or extended.

It would be nice if there were an indoor pump track....

Still hoping for no rain and the weather people are all on crack.

Let's ride
    I'm probably going to ride Kennedy in that case. Got the single speed set up, and going to suffer up it. Shooting for 3+ hours, 32x18 pain....maybe I should set it up for 32x20 instead.

Is this your first time up Kennedy on SS? Is the bike 29 or 26 with that gearing?

Hipster
    It's been a while, but I found Kennedy pretty tough with 32x19 on a 26er. I think 20 or 21 is just right for Kennedy. 18 or 19 is perfect for Joe's, Saratoga Gap and everything else around here.

-Marco

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Is this your first time up Kennedy on SS? Is the bike 29 or 26 with that gearing?
    Yes, 26. I actually don't use SS much at all. Had it for a bit last year, but was still n00b then and was riding Arastradero. Less n00b now, but I can't middle ring Kennedy at all. I figure the best way is to just do it and eventually I will. I'd probably turn around after the tree...or shatter a knee trying.

Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post
    It's been a while, but I found Kennedy pretty tough with 32x19 on a 26er. I think 20 or 21 is just right for Kennedy. 18 or 19 is perfect for Joe's, Saratoga Gap and everything else around here.
    thanks for the advice, I'll go set up a 32x20. I need a better tensioner so I can swap to the smaller cogs.

rho
    Life is strange

but loops! and there are the two 1/8th of a mile single track sections. hah!
    Its boring, but its riding and its not that stupid fire road. I'll take it!

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Oat hill mine
    ^^^ This
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Only if we're gonna be rolling skinny tires, cantilever brakes and loopy handlebars with tape on them

If not, I got my PR breaking 1986 Rockhopper. IDK what the hell is going with that bike, but it has become a viable contender. Ooh, I may need to replace those plastic rocksTektro passes off as brake pads.

Let's ride
    Yes, 26. I actually don't use SS much at all. Had it for a bit last year, but was still n00b then and was riding Arastradero. Less n00b now, but I can't middle ring Kennedy at all. I figure the best way is to just do it and eventually I will. I'd probably turn around after the tree...or shatter a knee trying.

thanks for the advice, I'll go set up a 32x20. I need a better tensioner so I can swap to the smaller cogs.
    Kennedy is a mental crusher on SS. Just go with that thought, and if it is a hair better, sweet. It gets better after a couple times, but then you go faster and the pain comes back 2x.

Gap is awesome on SS.

Looks like SC mtns is due to get 2+" of rain by Sunday end. Hmmm, looks like it may be a wee bit wet.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Only if we're gonna be rolling skinny tires, cantilever brakes and loopy handlebars with tape on them

If not, I got my PR breaking 1986 Rockhopper. IDK what the hell is going with that bike, but it has become a viable contender. Ooh, I may need to replace those plastic rocksTektro passes off as brake pads.
    I can be easily convinced to take the cross bike.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post
    They were grading Hihn's Mill between Braille and Sulphur Springs yesterday, so if it does rain, be ready for some softer-than-normal fire roads at Demo. Also the recent work on Sulphur may get sloppy if it rains much.

I was hoping to sneak out to Demo mid-morning tomorrow for a quick loop. Totally forgot about this rain.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

ask
    user
    ...I'll go set up a 32x20. I need a better tensioner so I can swap to the smaller cogs.
    I'd definitely go 32x20 or higher on Kennedy. I typically will swap out to 32x22 on my 29er if I am going to climb Kennedy and Powerpoles SS... especially in the mud. IMO, Kennedy is a crusher on SS in any gear though.

ask
    user
    PS - Hoping/planning to hit up Skeggs this afternoon if the rain holds off long enough. I'll have to keep an eye on the rainfall map for that area today. I'll probably try to get in a SS Kennedy ride this weekend if we get too much rain for the singletrack.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Surf City Cyclocross in Watsonville on Sunday.
    yea baby. there will be mud. i don't think there was a mud race last season b/w CCCX, SC, and BASP.

fc
    so far, this rain is a dud. 0.00 inches in san jose with no rain in sight.

fc

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

fc
    it was raining nice and steady in santa cruz when i left this morning. also raining down here in salinas.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    it was raining nice and steady in santa cruz when i left this morning. also raining down here in salinas.
    Yeah, the rain went south and completely missed the south bay.

fc

Is this thing on?
    IAH: meet me at Kennedy at 9:00. Low key Hillclimb tomorrow, I'm shooting for a sub-40 to the top. Where is AR, I figured he'd be all up in this thread telling us about the awesomeness that is Kennedy.

Is this thing on?
    Francois can you post the link to the weather site you use. I can't find it. Thanks

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    PS - Hoping/planning to hit up Skeggs this afternoon if the rain holds off long enough. I'll have to keep an eye on the rainfall map for that area today. I'll probably try to get in a SS Kennedy ride this weekend if we get too much rain for the singletrack.
    What time you planning on rolling from Skeggs? If you want company, I'm in.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    What time you planning on rolling from Skeggs? If you want company, I'm in.
    I was planning to email you once I got a chance to see what the weather was doing. I am shooting to leave Palo Alto / office ~2pm. Probably take 20 minutes to get up there. I could be convinced to leave earlier though if that is better for you / weather.

mtbr member
    ya know it starts getting dark now around 4pm in the woods...can we make it earlier?

mtbr member

If you have a 21t or 22t I would use those. I use 21t and find that you can do a bit more spinning and a bit less standing ,but it is still very tough. 22t IMO is where you should start. I am running 22t for the challenge season and it allows me to clean almost everything.
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    ya know it starts getting dark now around 4pm in the woods...can we make it earlier?
    4... wow, that is early. Yes, lets go earlier. I can leave here (downtown Palo Alto) at noon. Roll out from the lot at 12:40 or so... that work for you? That gives enough time for a good 2.5+ hour ride @ Skeggs. Might even beat some of the traffic home on 280S.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

fc
    FC - you interested in testing that Scott 720 @ Skeggs this afternoon? Dirt should be pretty good if it doesn't rain more today.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    IAH: meet me at Kennedy at 9:00. Low key Hillclimb tomorrow, I'm shooting for a sub-40 to the top. Where is AR, I figured he'd be all up in this thread telling us about the awesomeness that is Kennedy.
    I'm riding in santa cruz. BS rain, weather people with their build up. No rain so far, or very little where I'm going to be. < 0.1" so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    If you have a 21t or 22t I would use those. I use 21t and find that you can do a bit more spinning and a bit less standing ,but it is still very tough. 22t IMO is where you should start. I am running 22t for the challenge season and it allows me to clean almost everything.
    Hmm, I got the Performance Bike kit, it only has a 16, 18, and 20. I could move to a granny front and the 16 or 18 rear. But, you know what, I don't care. I'll mash it and stop to rest a bit, and repeat. That is the SS way, from what I understand. It'll likely take me 3-4 hours to make it to the top, but who cares. If I enjoy SS, I might get some BMX cranks with their wondrous selection of rings and easy chainline adjustment.

Don't you have a 29er? I'm running a 26.

mtbr member
    Welp, I was going to go ride but it just got mighty dark in LG and now the rains are coming down pretty good. That new James Bond flick looks promising all of a sudden.

I like mtn biking, too
    I'm riding in santa cruz. BS rain, weather people with their build up. No rain so far, or very little where I'm going to be. < 0.1" so far.
    Mate!! Don't know where you're planning to be in SC. This morning was ok, but now it's pouring pretty steadily here in Felton. It is in fact a good weekend for places that are sandy/sandstoney/drain well. Ft. Ord, Big Basin, Butano, that kind of thing. Wilder will most likely shut down the trails as usual.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Mate!! Don't know where you're planning to be in SC. This morning was ok, but now it's pouring pretty steadily here in Felton. It is in fact a good weekend for places that are sandy/sandstoney/drain well. Ft. Ord, Big Basin, Butano, that kind of thing. Wilder will most likely shut down the trails as usual.
    Oh well.

I like mtn biking, too
    Here is my backyard as of noon today - what's rideable this weekend?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353097484.473745.jpg
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Oat hill mine
    Live what's rideable this weekend?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353099574.896162.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast