Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 188
  1. #1
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)

    I was going to be a smartass in Griz's thread:
    What's your favorite thing about riding NorCal trails?

    But that would not be nice to derail it from the get go. But post your quips here and I might win some free socks. I hear the roadbikereview threads are siiiiick.

    So what do you NOT like about Norcal trails. And specify which region you're talking about.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,135
    the radar guns

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    879
    "No Bikes" signs on pretty much ALL San Mateo county park trails.

    Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,364
    I get a lot of time off during the week, I work every other weekend. So I basically get 5 weekdays off every two weeks. I absolutely hate riding on the weekends. Way too many people, rangers, hikers, bikers, dogs, HORSES.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sid Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    116
    The horsey people and hikers with a chip on their shoulder, who scowl and grunt at the sight of a bike. (The normal/friendly equestrians and hikers are no problem).

  6. #6
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    377
    Dust. I miss traction.

  7. #7
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    "No Bikes" signs on pretty much ALL San Mateo county park trails.

    Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    San Mateo. What a bunch of pompous bastards those trail officials are. All those fire roads near Highway 280 and 92... NO BIKE ALLOWED. Why?
    IPA will save America

  8. #8
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    the radar guns
    Ranger Rick, is that a radar gun by your pants or are you just excited to see me?

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-img_8445-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

  9. #9
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    The horsey people and hikers with a chip on their shoulder, who scowl and grunt at the sight of a bike. (The normal/friendly equestrians and hikers are no problem).
    grunt in a huff. No eye contact..
    IPA will save America

  10. #10
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Here's one: The lack of women... riding.



    In my experience, there's about 10% women in the Bay Area in group rides and half of them are with their significant others always.

    In Santa Cruz, they're starting to ride and come out in force but girls only in these rides.

    Now, I'm happily married so it ain't no thing to me but when I go to Socal, Bend, Utah, Colorado, Europe, there's a ton of women who just ride. It's cool to infect them with the stoke and drink beer and cross all age and gender lines. It's happening for sure but very slow in the Bay Area.
    IPA will save America

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Dust. I miss traction.
    air down and ride the berms ;-)

    I love the trails around here. If there is anything negative to be stated, then it would be the tendency to over-regulation to me. My wife was getting a warning by a ranger because she didnt wear a helmet (pushing up her bike up Fremont Older on her way to the horse facilities with the dog on leash...). Radar guns. Dogs forbidden here, complicated right-off way rules between horsemen, riders, hikers there - cmon guys, this is nature, and the only rule should be that you should be respectful to it and respect each other!
    Bernd

  12. #12
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    The mountains. Too hard to ride up and too scary to ride down.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  13. #13
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,019
    Steep ass fireroads in the east bay.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  14. #14
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by BerndK View Post
    air down and ride the berms ;-)

    I love the trails around here. If there is anything negative to be stated, then it would be the tendency to over-regulation to me. My wife was getting a warning by a ranger because she didnt wear a helmet (pushing up her bike up Fremont Older on her way to the horse facilities with the dog on leash...). Radar guns. Dogs forbidden here, complicated right-off way rules between horsemen, riders, hikers there - cmon guys, this is nature, and the only rule should be that you should be respectful to it and respect each other!
    Bernd
    LOL, fair enough.

    Re: your wife getting warned by a ranger. Helmets are mandatory?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I get a lot of time off during the week, I work every other weekend. So I basically get 5 weekdays off every two weeks. I absolutely hate riding on the weekends. Way too many people, rangers, hikers, bikers, dogs, HORSES.
    Agree, I ride mostly during the week because of the same.

  16. #16
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    having to carry a mt. lion knife and watching out for albinos.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    730
    If you can take a double wide stroller on the trail, it is no good for biking.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    998
    I guess in my part of the bay it's the lack of trails. I was spoiled living next to Wilder and campus for a few years.

  19. #19
    too tired to be clever
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    116
    Poison oak, skeeters, those darn biting flies, and full trailhead parking lots.

  20. #20
    SOG
    SOG is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    401
    would love more trails to shuttle - don't like to pedal. i guess that's why i prefer to dirt jump - more bang for your buck

  21. #21
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,349
    People freak out when they see my guns and holsters mounted on my crossbar.
    So many trails... so little time...

  22. #22
    NRP
    NRP is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    255
    Waspeses.

  23. #23
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    I hate that I've never spotted a cougar despite 20 years of trying.
    IPA will save America

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    245
    ticks, scared of Lyme disease

  25. #25
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,526
    1. Feeling like an outlaw while safely riding trails we should have access to but don't.

    2. Douchebag mountain bikers who rip by and frighten other trail users.

  26. #26
    used to be RipRoar
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    1. Feeling like an outlaw while safely riding trails we should have access to but don't.

    2. Douchebag mountain bikers who rip by and frighten other trail users.


    +1..exactly...

    Its sad, trail workers are celebrated in many other states, while here they are outlaws......and I am talking basic maintenance.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    579
    Horse and hiking only trails that are very seldom used. I recently relocated to Washington and impressed by the bike friendly trail system. I have not found a trail yet that does not allow bikes.What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-redmond-city-hall.jpg

  28. #28
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    The trees, and the people...how am I supposed to get my new 900mm bars thru the trees??? And why are there so many people riding the same trails, at the same time

  29. #29
    Dirty by Nature
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,300
    ^^ Dude. Uber wide bars are so last year. Throw some 600's on and you won't have to worry about trees.

    What's do I not like?

    Hmmm. I'll have to get back to you on that.

    Edit: I guess not being able to discuss the best trails online. But that's also one of the things I like since it keeps the masses away.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

    Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I hate that I've never spotted a cougar despite 20 years of trying.
    Neither have I, but I am glad never to have seen one. However, sportsmen have a saying: if you have deer you have lions. You may never see a lion but they are watching you. I have also heard if you ever see a mountain lion, they have already seen you many many times already. lol.

    If you want to follow them you can go to Santa Cruz Puma Tracker. From the tracks of the mountain lions, I think they have seen me about 1000 times over the years. haha.

    Puma Tracker : Santa Cruz Pumas

  31. #31
    That makes me smart
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13,583
    No shade (Hogan).

    But everything else there is bueno.

    No dust, lots of rocks, no rangers on the trails, free ample parking, lake close by, dog-friendly, 98.3% single track, no horses, no hikers, on and on.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 1 Week Ago at 03:01 PM.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    People freak out when they see my guns and holsters mounted on my crossbar.
    You, I like.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    305
    Big groups of riders stopped at the top of or halfway down my favorite downhill trail. If you're going to stop and are not injured...GET OFF THE TRAIL!

  34. #34
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I hate that I've never spotted a cougar despite 20 years of trying.
    You need to go to Los Gatos.

    or Alum Rock (being serious there), as they shut the park this weekend due to a sighting.

  35. #35
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Dude. Uber wide bars are so last year. Throw some 600's on and you won't have to worry about trees.
    46cm dirt drop bars!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    709
    pisses me off all the trails are surrounded by super expensive houses..and traffic.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    709
    the beer helps.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  38. #38
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    SJ Bay Area... # of worthwhile breweries... ZERO.

    San Diego and Bend, about 20... EACH.

    I know, it's changing. But oh so slowly. Lil rinky dink towns across the nation have a better beer scene than us. And our good supply will never meet demand.
    IPA will save America

  39. #39
    I like mtn biking, too
    Reputation: shredchic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,090
    All the good trails are illegal and because of that all the built features are janky. Look before you leap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

  40. #40
    James.Hamilton
    Reputation: FullBladdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    803
    Roaming packs of dobermans (Folsom Lake). Very uncommon but the wierdo folks that live in the hills do scare me.

    Poison oak would be another that ranks high on the list. After adopting a strict post ride dawn/tecnu cleaning regimen I have been doing well this season.

    Rattle snakes are also something that can get a bit scary but not all that bad.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    771
    1) Goatheads
    2) Hills. I feel like I'm always riding straight uphill, all day. I see the vids all the time of people in other regions that can ride all day on rolling hills through the woods... Needs to be a trail that goes the length of Skyline Blvd or offroad along HWY 1.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    The trees [...]...how am I supposed to get my new 900mm bars thru the trees??? [...]
    Answering quoting Richie Rude (instagram): "Trees, they bend"
    :-)

    B

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    384
    E-bikes

  44. #44
    YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Reputation: GoGoGordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,773
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonunlimited View Post
    You, I like.
    Me, not so much.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

  45. #45
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Not crazy about the dominance of 90/10 trails. 90% of the time, climbing, 10% descending...

    On the same vein, very few (aka none) kid friendly, fun trails.
    IPA will save America

  46. #46
    YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Reputation: GoGoGordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,773
    Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    E-bikes
    44 replys in.
    Not bad.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

  47. #47
    YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Reputation: GoGoGordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,773
    Too many people.
    Not enough access.
    OverRegulation.
    And the attitude of the few whom eff it up for the rest of us.
    Now go poach sumthin.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I hate that I've never spotted a cougar despite 20 years of trying.
    Where have you been riding?

    Name:  woman-bicycle-copd-400x400.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  42.1 KB

  49. #49
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Too many people.
    Not enough access.
    OverRegulation.
    And the attitude of the few whom eff it up for the rest of us.
    Now go poach sumthin.
    So many men
    So little time
    How can I lose?
    IPA will save America

  50. #50
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,264
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So many men
    So little time
    How can I lose?
    So much info....Yikes!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  51. #51
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,526
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Not crazy about the dominance of 90/10 trails. 90% of the time, climbing, 10% descending...
    Get an ebike or move some place that is flatter?

    I enjoy climbing, if the payoff is fun.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    336
    PO and too little legal single track.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  53. #53
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Get an ebike or move some place that is flatter?

    I enjoy climbing, if the payoff is fun.
    Right on. So you don't enjoy climbing if the payoff is not fun??

    Sometimes the payoff is fun. About 10% of the time.
    IPA will save America

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SikeMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    179
    Dust, ruts, and water bars. Can't we just order the perfect amount of rain year round?

    Many Bay Area (San Mateo, Marin) trails are just hiking trails that allow bikes. Not really designed for MTB in terms of grade, switchbacks, lack of berms, etc.

    Descending fire roads and wasting huge elevation a la Manzanita>Salamander @ Skeggs.

    Most problems are found within a 30 mile ring around the world NIMBY capital that is SF. Otherwise, I love NorCal.

  55. #55
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Dust, ruts, and water bars. Can't we just order the perfect amount of rain year round?

    Many Bay Area (San Mateo, Marin) trails are just hiking trails that allow bikes. Not really designed for MTB in terms of grade, switchbacks, lack of berms, etc.

    Descending fire roads and wasting huge elevation a la Manzanita>Salamander @ Skeggs.

    Most problems are found within a 30 mile ring around the world NIMBY capital that is SF. Otherwise, I love NorCal.
    Grant Ranch, Mission Peak, Priest Rock, on and on.
    IPA will save America

  56. #56
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,526
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Right on. So you don't enjoy climbing if the payoff is not fun??

    Sometimes the payoff is fun. About 10% of the time.
    I'll climb 10 miles of fire road for a rad 1 mile singletrack descent.... once or thrice. I'll climb 10 miles of singletrack (haha) for a rad 1 mile singletrack descent every day of the week! We have a ~3 mile grind fire road climb the provides a couple 2.5-3 mile ST descents. Singletrack is what makes the MTB world go around :-)

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: O5-KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    947
    If I had to choose only one thing would be all these stupid overregulations.

    If I had to choose two, add the ticks

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    269
    1) ticks - flick em off though
    2) Poison oak - how has this not been mentioned 20 times already? Post ride wash as much a requirement as the PRD.
    3) That general Bay Area entitled-narcissism infects the Santa Cruz county trails on the weekends. People stopping in huge groups blocking trail throughput feels like our roads during the week. "Me? No, I'm not going anywhere." You are, however, interfering with everyone else's enjoyment. Please, FFS, try not to block the trail.

  59. #59
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Big groups of riders stopped at the top of or halfway down my favorite downhill trail. If you're going to stop and are not injured...GET OFF THE TRAIL!
    Oh man, or my favorite, riders stopped on an off camber switchback I'm trying to climb. Specifically, that last switchback before the water bubbler at Tamarancho.

  60. #60
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,315
    -weekend crowds...folks pinning it downhill not stopping for uphill climbers on a weekend...you're too rad bro.

    -folks complaining about the legitness of singletrack, if it's too easy ride a different bike that makes it harder to negotiate the trail.

    -strava killed santa cruz.

    -watching people walk down steep ass trails on their blinged out rigs...in expensive italian cycling shoes.....passing on your left on my rigid bike or hardtail w/a fork. ghost ride dat *ish

    -spandex kits on the wrong body types.

    -folks that still think weed is evil

    -traffic, since i still have to drive to trails and didn't wanna live (buy 15 years ago) in a condo near the mall and probably waste all my money at the bar anyways if i lived in town

    -lack of diversity...i know it's changing but seriously, my parents are from the philippines (pops came here in '68) , i've probably been riding in santa cruz since the mid 90's, never really saw other pilipinos on the trails (maybe some of my mexican brehs from watsonville)....till i met some flip dude on the forums like 10 years ago and showed him a few trails...now i see big ass groups of flips....sorry!

    -trends

    -global warming

  61. #61
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    1) ticks - flick em off though
    2) Poison oak - how has this not been mentioned 20 times already? Post ride wash as much a requirement as the PRD.
    3) That general Bay Area entitled-narcissism infects the Santa Cruz county trails on the weekends. People stopping in huge groups blocking trail throughput feels like our roads during the week. "Me? No, I'm not going anywhere." You are, however, interfering with everyone else's enjoyment. Please, FFS, try not to block the trail.
    my favorite is that one time when you're in a group and you accidentally block part of the trail and some guy comes through all indignant like hes in a car in rush hour traffic. how could everyone not think about HIM! apologies are issued and said dude rides off with a scowl and doesn't say a word and then the whole group looks at each other and shrugs. relax man, youre on a bike in a forest. be friendly and enjoy yourself

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    48
    During the summer those prickly plants buildup on both sides of some of the trails and slice through your legs

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,751
    "3) That general Bay Area entitled-narcissism infects the Santa Cruz county trails on the weekends."

    Generalize much? Give me a break.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    my favorite is that one time when you're in a group and you accidentally block part of the trail and some guy comes through all indignant like hes in a car in rush hour traffic. how could everyone not think about HIM!
    Touch!

    The entitlement can go both ways. I was certainly not talking about "that one, accidental time". My version is the one where we slow down, ask if everyone is OK, ask if we are all waiting for trail clearance, say have a nice day and continue on. Still chaps my passive aggressive ass though.

  65. #65
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Thread is heating up!! Free socks!!!

    Nativeson arrived.
    IPA will save America

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    "3) That general Bay Area entitled-narcissism infects the Santa Cruz county trails on the weekends."

    Generalize much? Give me a break.
    Generally when one uses the word general they are indeed generalizing. But hopefully not too much

  67. #67
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Generally when one uses the word general they are indeed generalizing. But hopefully not too much
    It was a wee bit harsh.

    I ride there tons and when I'm solo, I'll just join and chat with random groups. Really good people out there with a lot of stoke and appreciation for what we have.
    IPA will save America

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jblbronco2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    my favorite is that one time when you're in a group and you accidentally block part of the trail and some guy comes through all indignant like hes in a car in rush hour traffic. how could everyone not think about HIM! apologies are issued and said dude rides off with a scowl and doesn't say a word and then the whole group looks at each other and shrugs. relax man, youre on a bike in a forest. be friendly and enjoy yourself
    Roadies on mountain bikes! That's where the scowl comes from... you'd swear they missed the feed zone, or someone took their bottle hand-off while they were going for their favorite Strava segment (aka, TdF).

  69. #69
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    "The ENTIRE Santa Cruz County has 40 miles of mountain bike legal singletrack."

    That's the whole county with a massive mountain bike community and industry. 40 miles can be ridden in one day.

    In comparison, there's about 200 miles of hiking singletrack. Enough for weeks/months of hiking.
    IPA will save America

  70. #70
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,650

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    Nor Cal is no different than any other part of North America. I have this conversation about Marin all the time. There is nothing "special" about it.

    What makes it suck is the cycling community. The way we react to issues. How divided we are. How we think there should only be certain kinds of riding on certain trails. How we berate the full face crowd when we wear Lycra, or how we heckle the stick bike crew when they don't even know how to drop their saddle.

    All the complaints here re: lack of access. How many of these people bitching have actually done something about it? Have you written a representative about off road cycling access or lack thereof? Or do you just bitch like one on social media.

    I was just in negotiation to run a dual slalom race in Marin. It is entirely possible to do. The one thing standing in the way: the cycling community. No one is willing to pony up 50$ for a race that will improve over time because Truckee is 15$ cheaper. I've already lost a lot of money putting on the chainless race at Tamaracho. Why do that again to hear and endless list of complaints and hand wringing about how it could have been done better?

    The problem with Nor Cal off road cycling? The problem is you, plain and simple.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    551
    Im going to have to agree with Roxs post That general Bay Area entitled-narcissism infects the Santa Cruz county trails on the weekends.

    I ride SC 3+ times a week and its pretty easy to spot a local: were able to both yield to the right without interrupting each others ride and theres either a nod or a quick thank you. On the weekends, there is a complete lack of courtesy when encountering oncoming riders and yielding. Last weekend I led a group of 5 and yielded to every oncoming bike and not a single thank you or acknowledgement with two exceptions both of which I recognized as SC locals. The other clear indicator is that visitors don't even attempt to move to the right despite these trails being wide enough to easily accommodate 2 passing bikes. That in my opinion is piss poor behavior. If someone yields for you whether hiker or biker, how about a little courtesy.

    Building on topic one some riders dont like getting passed, kinda like the typical Prius driver on 17 going 40 mph that wont get out of the left lane. If I caught up to you, Im clearly faster, let me get by so we can both enjoy our rides!

    And finally - as called out earlier, the groups that like to congregate mid-DH. I know these guys and gals are ripping and need to talk about the last jump they hit, but many of us prefer to ride the whole trail top to bottom, so if you're a mid-DH congregator, please move to the side. end rant...

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,751
    Odd. Me and my BA peeps ride SC a shit ton and have been for close to 20 years. Helped build/maintain a lot of stuff there too. I don't have this experience at all...almost everyone out there is generally cool and just having fun. You get the occasional dick hole but you get that everywhere. This unfounded antipathy for people over the hill is stupid.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  73. #73
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    I hate the heat. It sucks. It makes me tired, it makes me thirsty, and it beats you like a principal @ a catholic school. 70* for life. F that 90+ noise.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    551
    OK - Squashyo, you're right. I retract my position around BA and reposition as: "riders who lack courtesy during heavy trail usage times". When trails are crowded, a little courtesy and self-awareness go a along way.

  75. #75
    Dirty by Nature
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,300
    ^^ Good retraction and a good point! I've ridden out there a LOT the last 4 years and it's hard to remember a negative experience.

    One time a while ago I did see a group of "lost" Quadzilla guys at the top of Air***** obliviously force a young woman (climbing the s/t) off into the weeds. Watch your behavior when you're sporting team kits! Btw, I know some guys from the team and I'm sure that was an anomaly.

    If folks really have any issues with Norcal riding, try spending some time in other areas. We have it pretty dang good (at least outside of Marin, and even there you just have to be creative/sneaky).



    VV This guy gets it!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 1 Week Ago at 02:31 PM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

    Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Odd. Me and my BA peeps ride SC a shit ton and have been for close to 20 years. Helped build/maintain a lot of stuff there too. I don't have this experience at all...almost everyone out there is generally cool and just having fun. You get the occasional dick hole but you get that everywhere. This unfounded antipathy for people over the hill is stupid.
    Squashyo nailed it - this thread is getting ricockuluos. While there are always going to be some drawbacks and challenges to mtb-ing in a super densely populated area, we are still in one of the better areas in the world to ride. The weather, riding conditions, trails, scenery, diversity of terrain, etc. make Norcal a world class for outdoor recreation.

    I seriously can't believe some of these complaints:

    Too much climbing! - you may want to check the laws of gravity and conservation of energy, but last I checked more climbing = more descending

    Lack of diversity - name a more diverse place

    Lack of female riders - I see them all the time, and a lot more of them than most other places

    Too hot / too dry / too dusty - obviously you have never ridden anywhere it is actually dry and hot

    And while I'll be the 1st to complain about the entitled attitudes of some Silicon Valley residents, the people in the mtb community who I know are some of the most down-to-earth and least entitled I know in the area, and 95%+ of riders I meet on the trails are super cool

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    351
    having to act like the best and most popular trails don't exist. disclaimer, first world problem!

  78. #78
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Squashyo nailed it - this thread is getting ricockuluos. While there are always going to be some drawbacks and challenges to mtb-ing in a super densely populated area, we are still in one of the better areas in the world to ride. The weather, riding conditions, trails, scenery, diversity of terrain, etc. make Norcal a world class for outdoor recreation.

    I seriously can't believe some of these complaints:

    Too much climbing! - you may want to check the laws of gravity and conservation of energy, but last I checked more climbing = more descending

    Lack of diversity - name a more diverse place

    Lack of female riders - I see them all the time, and a lot more of them than most other places

    Too hot / too dry / too dusty - obviously you have never ridden anywhere it is actually dry and hot

    And while I'll be the 1st to complain about the entitled attitudes of some Silicon Valley residents, the people in the mtb community who I know are some of the most down-to-earth and least entitled I know in the area, and 95%+ of riders I meet on the trails are super cool
    Hey man, way to to be a Positive Patty on the Negative Nancy thread.
    IPA will save America

  79. #79
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger View Post
    Im going to have to agree with Roxs post That general Bay Area entitled-narcissism infects the Santa Cruz county trails on the weekends.
    .
    Oh man, Rox did NOT say that. He said the exact opposite in fact.


    I sense there's county-ism here. Kinda like surfers but no punching yet.
    IPA will save America

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,725
    East bay....take your pick of the below:
    --cows, cow and in some cases horse excrement all over the trails
    --no narrow trail access for bikes
    --horribly maintained fire roads, allowed to be destroyed by cows
    --almost no trail building of any kind in spite of massive land holdings and increasingly crowded parks.
    --land managers that don't care

  81. #81
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    East bay....take your pick of the below:
    --cows, cow and in some cases horse excrement all over the trails
    --no narrow trail access for bikes
    --horribly maintained fire roads, allowed to be destroyed by cows
    --almost no trail building of any kind in spite of massive land holdings and increasingly crowded parks.
    --land managers that don't care
    You had me at 'east bay'.

    I used to live in Fremont and rode each one of those trails once, just once. Except Mission Peak. I rode it 100 times... on a $150 used bike.
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 04:37 PM.
    IPA will save America

  82. #82
    tastes like chicken
    Reputation: mrtoadsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I hate that I've never spotted a cougar despite 20 years of trying.
    Go to downtown Los Gatos on a Friday night. Cougar town!

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    307
    I dislike that I'm not a stronger climber.
    Such a long long time to be gone
    and a short time to be there

  84. #84
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    880
    Very few legal spot to fully pin it. It's somewhat like owning a Supercar in the US. At least it's fun to ride bikes slowly, too.

  85. #85
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I was going to be a smartass in Griz's thread:
    What's your favorite thing about riding NorCal trails?

    But that would not be nice to derail it from the get go. But post your quips here and I might win some free socks. I hear the roadbikereview threads are siiiiick.

    So what do you NOT like about Norcal trails. And specify which region you're talking about.

    fc
    I'm tempted to close this thread, simply based on the negativity you've stirred up...nice job fc

  86. #86
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I'm tempted to close this thread, simply based on the negativity you've stirred up...nice job fc
    100 replies in 2 days is in sight. Thanks for the +2 nudge.
    IPA will save America

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    917
    The lack of good legal singletrack. There is some good singletrack around but you have to drive a good 45min to a hour to get to. Fireroads just don't cut it unless for just climbing.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Oh man, Rox did NOT say that. He said the exact opposite in fact.
    I sense there's county-ism here. Kinda like surfers but no punching yet.
    Yep...that was me...but I also agree with Josh...there is some unfounded localism but the fact of the matter is that I encounter many more rude and large groups on the weekends and it is clear they are not local. I have yet to run into a local or local group that doesn't show the minimum amount of courtesy.

    Btw: I've driven at least a dozen responses. Got to be good for socks!

  89. #89
    Formerly dvo
    Reputation: mtbrdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,207
    As my good friend Randy said over on Facebook, nothing, I am way to focused on enjoying my life. Could it be better? Sure. My wife could be a supermodel but I love her for who she is and she's my best friend. I rode Fremont Older with a good friend yesterday and yeah it wasn't Whistler but we had a great time, got in a solid workout and the beer was ice cold after. Shocking that negativity gets the clicks.
    I'm the problem....

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    730
    Also almost no legal night riding in the bay area.

  91. #91
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Yep...that was me...but I also agree with Josh...there is some unfounded localism but the fact of the matter is that I encounter many more rude and large groups on the weekends and it is clear they are not local. I have yet to run into a local or local group that doesn't show the minimum amount of courtesy.

    Btw: I've driven at least a dozen responses. Got to be good for socks!
    I owes you!
    IPA will save America

  92. #92
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Also almost no legal night riding in the bay area.
    Night riding... that's a whole nuther thread for me. I can't even express my disgust about this.

    I did a lot of night riding doing light testing. But I'm a wee bit tired of sneaking around like a convict.
    IPA will save America

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    88
    New Englander here, was just in SC last week and did a demo loop from Santa Cruz HQ. Only 3 hours but obviously very different from home. It was delightful and everyone I ran into seemed cool.

    Grass isn't always greener. If you lived here and not there you might come to hate our mosquitoes, the long, snowy, icy winter, the rocky, rooty, often damp trails, our poison ivy, and lack of extended downhill runs as I have. We have no vistas and if you think 90 degrees is hot try it with 90% humidity sometime. I hate it here.

    But based on what I've tead you might (& I should learn to) love the lack of horses, people and cows on the trails, how a small town like mine (6k residents) has three trail systems with 50 miles (rocky and rooty) of legal, well marked singletrack, maintained by the community of riders that works together on new trails with private and public land owners to mutual benefit. The four towns around mine each have trails, and one could do about 100 miles (90% single track) linked by maybe 10 miles of roads from just about anywhere in this county. No poisonous snakes or spiders either. The occasional deer and howling coyote at night but no big cats or bears.

    But it's hot. And humid. And bony everywhere. And the mosquitoes are horrible. And there are no ocean views. And I hate it here I wanna move to CA.

    Cost of living here is good though.

    Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    194
    What do you mean no legal night riding? Can't you just go to the same places you ride during the day, but at night? And wouldn't nighttime be the best time to ride the stuff you're not allowed to during the day? (yeah, I get that would make it illegal night riding)

  95. #95
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    As my good friend Randy said over on Facebook, nothing, I am way to focused on enjoying my life. Could it be better? Sure. My wife could be a supermodel but I love her for who she is and she's my best friend. I rode Fremont Older with a good friend yesterday and yeah it wasn't Whistler but we had a great time, got in a solid workout and the beer was ice cold after. Shocking that negativity gets the clicks.
    #fakenews

    Your wife is a supermodel.
    IPA will save America

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    What do you mean no legal night riding? Can't you just go to the same places you ride during the day, but at night? And wouldn't nighttime be the best time to ride the stuff you're not allowed to during the day? (yeah, I get that would make it illegal night riding)
    In Santa Cruz, yes. I would be comfortable riding anywhere at night that I ride in the day. On midpen and other county park trails near my house, nope. Park in a parking lot and you'll surely return with a ranger waiting to give you a ticket.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crooked Cop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    SJ Bay Area... # of worthwhile breweries... ZERO.

    San Diego and Bend, about 20... EACH.

    I know, it's changing. But oh so slowly. Lil rinky dink towns across the nation have a better beer scene than us. And our good supply will never meet demand.
    There's actually 35 breweries in Bend now. Some great new ones popping up now in the Bay Area. Armstrong and 47 Hills in South City. Lawton and Almanac Tap Room in SF. Fieldwork in San Mateo.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

  98. #98
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Midpen continues to shock and disappoint.

    Now they're gonna use $31 million of taxpayer and mountain bike ticket money to purchase a building for their new awesome office.

    https://openspace.org/sites/default/files/R-17-90.pdf

    Meeting 17-16
    July 12, 2017
    AGENDA ITEM
    ...
    2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the entry into a purchase and sale agreement for the Pearlman
    HIMY Los Altos LP Property at a cost of $31,550,100.
    ...
    IPA will save America

  99. #99
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Cop View Post
    There's actually 35 breweries in Bend now. Some great new ones popping up now in the Bay Area. Armstrong and 47 Hills in South City. Lawton and Almanac Tap Room in SF. Fieldwork in San Mateo.
    True. But I did say 'worthwhile breweries'. San Diego has over a hundred now I believe.

    Good to see things moving in the Bay Area. Santa Cruz is doing better in the beer game.
    IPA will save America

  100. #100
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,930
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    New Englander here, was just in SC last week and did a demo loop from Santa Cruz HQ. Only 3 hours but obviously very different from home. It was delightful and everyone I ran into seemed cool.

    Grass isn't always greener. If you lived here and not there you might come to hate our mosquitoes, the long, snowy, icy winter, the rocky, rooty, often damp trails, our poison ivy, and lack of extended downhill runs as I have. We have no vistas and if you think 90 degrees is hot try it with 90% humidity sometime. I hate it here.

    But based on what I've tead you might (& I should learn to) love the lack of horses, people and cows on the trails, how a small town like mine (6k residents) has three trail systems with 50 miles (rocky and rooty) of legal, well marked singletrack, maintained by the community of riders that works together on new trails with private and public land owners to mutual benefit. The four towns around mine each have trails, and one could do about 100 miles (90% single track) linked by maybe 10 miles of roads from just about anywhere in this county. No poisonous snakes or spiders either. The occasional deer and howling coyote at night but no big cats or bears.

    But it's hot. And humid. And bony everywhere. And the mosquitoes are horrible. And there are no ocean views. And I hate it here I wanna move to CA.

    Cost of living here is good though.

    Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Good, good. Love hearing other perspectives, specially from ones who've travelled here.
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Norcal Lycra - Norcal Baggies
    By motorbacon in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 04:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 04:20 AM
  3. You'd Think That Norcal Dealers Would Like Specialized More
    By LandSpeed in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  4. You like me, you really like me...
    By Ken in KC in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
  5. NorCal Pliny vs. NorCal PBR
    By Biker_Scout_Sparky in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Members who have read this thread: 334

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •