Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 188 of 188
  1. #101
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    OMG...100 replies, give me my socks

  2. #102
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    OMG...100 replies, give me my socks
    Kaboom! This is yours. Send me your addy.What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-img_8546.jpg
    IPA will save America

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    True. But I did say 'worthwhile breweries'. San Diego has over a hundred now I believe.

    Good to see things moving in the Bay Area. Santa Cruz is doing better in the beer game.
    Shanty Shack's IPA game is picking up. Redicki Red IRA is great too. If the Saucey's truck is there, you are in for a good post-ride meal.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Good, good. Love hearing other perspectives, specially from ones who've travelled here.
    No prob. It was so nice out there, more or less what I was expecting after watching you tube etc. But reading about trail restrictions is a major drag. Radar guns, really? That's just not on our "radar" (waka waka) outside of the occasional unhappy landowner and at some places during hunting season (Nov/Dec) when we voluntarily avoid their favorite spots.

    As for the riding experience, it seems you guys climb these boring ass hard pack (what we would call) fireroads for extended periods, then snake around on lots of packed dirt ST before longish declines through the redwoods on a loamy track. I may have seen a rock but it could have been a turtle I don't recall...

    Our trails usually hit you in the mouth straight away: 60 seconds in and you've got to scramble up and over a rocky outcropping, then you drop down the other side along some off camber roots. That's your elevation: 15' up and 15' down at a time. Pedal over and around more roots and rocks and do that again, sometimes climbing a bit more (25' maybe?), sometimes decending more. Sometimes it's flat in between. But it's technical 90% of the time. You're always working the entire bike and rarely just pedaling. Rocks. Roots. Don't catch a flat​ because the skeeters will devour you.

    Single speeds work well here. With so many rapid elevation changes searching for gears is futile. Just hammer over it all.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  5. #105
    I like mtn biking, too
    Reputation: shredchic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    "The ENTIRE Santa Cruz County has 40 miles of mountain bike legal singletrack."

    That's the whole county with a massive mountain bike community and industry. 40 miles can be ridden in one day.

    In comparison, there's about 200 miles of hiking singletrack. Enough for weeks/months of hiking.
    Yes sirreee... that's our world in a nutshell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Truckee29's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    OMG...100 replies, give me my socks
    Yeah but 50 of those replies are from fc! Smells like collusion to me

  7. #107
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    No prob. It was so nice out there, more or less what I was expecting after watching you tube etc. But reading about trail restrictions is a major drag. Radar guns, really? That's just not on our "radar" (waka waka) outside of the occasional unhappy landowner and at some places during hunting season (Nov/Dec) when we voluntarily avoid their favorite spots.

    As for the riding experience, it seems you guys climb these boring ass hard pack (what we would call) fireroads for extended periods, then snake around on lots of packed dirt ST before longish declines through the redwoods on a loamy track. I may have seen a rock but it could have been a turtle I don't recall...

    Our trails usually hit you in the mouth straight away: 60 seconds in and you've got to scramble up and over a rocky outcropping, then you drop down the other side along some off camber roots. That's your elevation: 15' up and 15' down at a time. Pedal over and around more roots and rocks and do that again, sometimes climbing a bit more (25' maybe?), sometimes decending more. Sometimes it's flat in between. But it's technical 90% of the time. You're always working the entire bike and rarely just pedaling. Rocks. Roots. Don't catch a flat​ because the skeeters will devour you.

    Single speeds work well here. With so many rapid elevation changes searching for gears is futile. Just hammer over it all.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Wonderful piece of writing. Next time you're here, I'll give you a tour for sure!!!!

    "I may have seen a rock, could have been a turtle..."
    IPA will save America

  8. #108
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Kaboom! This is yours. Send me your addy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8546.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1146279
    Pm sent

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Yeah but 50 of those replies are from fc! Smells like collusion to me
    Definitely collusion - FC deploys Russian hackers to make controversial posts and drive traffic to this thread - actually he usually has his son do it.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Pm sent
    But wait a second - Griz didn't actually start this thread - I say no swag for Griz - not until he contributes more here - he's a slacker

  11. #111
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Pm sent
    Thanks for being an active moderator.

    I didn't say good mod... just active. Funny but not intentional. Kinda engaging like a train wreck of a reality show.

    Ready to be an Ibis mod?
    IPA will save America

  12. #112
    my body breaks the falls
    Reputation: twindaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger View Post
    so if you're a mid-DH congregator, please move to the side.
    And PLEASE leave the bluetooth speakers at home! Nobody else wanted to hear your disco or EDM. I don't know about others, but I find that quite annoying - especially when I'm out solo and looking to connect with nature just a little. Maybe it's just me and my old age...

    As an east bay resident, my pet peeve is the hiking groups who don't realize they're on a shared trail and those individuals with the headphones that cover their ears so they can't hear when I'm approaching. People are idiots (tm).

    That said, most of this is nit-picking. I get to ride 7 times a week if I want to. Sure, it's mostly east bay fire roads littered with cow pies, but I can grind to the top, watch the sunset (while fly swatting), descend back home and enjoy a cold beer from Bend or San Diego. On the weekend I can spend an hour in the car to visit crowded, but really fun trails where people stop mid-descent while blasting silly music (why doesn't anyone ride to Danzig?), we dodge poison oak while eating dust and finish with cold beers.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

  13. #113
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    But wait a second - Griz didn't actually start this thread - I say no swag for Griz - not until he contributes more here - he's a slacker
    True but, fc stole my thread...sort of

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,904
    Sock gate. I have some socks I can throw your way. They are fairly stiff but socks nonetheless.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    85
    Professional Dogwalkers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #116
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    True but, fc stole my thread...sort of
    You inspired me. Your thread is good but it has been done before, mostly by me and folks who love this area. Hold hands, kumbaya.

    This thread is kind of original or hasn't been done in a while. It's kind of a good look at what we do not like here. A lot of it, we can change and/or avoid. Some of it we can't.

    It doesn't mean we're not thankful for the best weather and best hills on earth or don't ride get after it every week or every day. But a little 'conversation trail' is not a bad thing.
    IPA will save America

  17. #117
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Sock gate. I have some socks I can throw your way. They are fairly stiff but socks nonetheless.
    I don't want any of your socks...especially if they've been in your van

  18. #118
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Sock gate. I have some socks I can throw your way. They are fairly stiff but socks nonetheless.
    TMI. Hit him with the ban stick!

  19. #119
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I don't want any of your socks...especially if they've been in your van
    There will be fitment issues from Mr. Turtle*****Name:  wee tiny socks.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  38.7 KB
    IPA will save America

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    32
    I've ridden a fair amount of trails in Marin and I always encounter unleashed dogs. I once encountered a lady with SIX, yes SIX unleashed dogs. I reminded her that there are leash laws here and she started yelling her head off at me. She also probably didn't vaccinate any of them.

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    238
    Wooly Boogers (little velco like stickers). Arrogant trail snobs that lie and want to exclude bikes from trails as well as the governmental organizations that actually go along with these a$$holes.

  22. #122
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    This psycho and people who believe him


    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-vandeman.gif
    IPA will save America

  23. #123
    L1MEY
    Reputation: mahgnillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    And PLEASE leave the bluetooth speakers at home! Nobody else wanted to hear your disco or EDM. I don't know about others, but I find that quite annoying - especially when I'm out solo and looking to connect with nature just a little. Maybe it's just me and my old age...

    As an east bay resident, my pet peeve is the hiking groups who don't realize they're on a shared trail and those individuals with the headphones that cover their ears so they can't hear when I'm approaching. People are idiots (tm).

    That said, most of this is nit-picking. I get to ride 7 times a week if I want to. Sure, it's mostly east bay fire roads littered with cow pies, but I can grind to the top, watch the sunset (while fly swatting), descend back home and enjoy a cold beer from Bend or San Diego. On the weekend I can spend an hour in the car to visit crowded, but really fun trails where people stop mid-descent while blasting silly music (why doesn't anyone ride to Danzig?), we dodge poison oak while eating dust and finish with cold beers.
    Ugh, the speaker phenomenon really pisses me off too! Doesn't matter what kind of music it is, I don't want to hear it. TBH this seems to be more of a problem with skiers and runners than bikers around here, but it's really annoying. If they want to listen to music while other people are trying to enjoy nature they need to wear earphones.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

  24. #124
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,170
    I will go on the record and state that I like cold beers after a ride. There you have it.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,904
    I'll go on record as saying people who ride with bike speakers are generally super handsome.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  26. #126
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,170
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I'll go on record as saying people who ride with bike speakers are generally super handsome.
    But ruin it with shi.tty music tastes.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    291
    To put things into perspective, California, birthplace of modern mountain biking, has 39.5 million people and a huge amount of public land, but few bike specific trail systems. Most trails are designed for horses or other users and just happen, if we're lucky, to allow bikes. British Columbia has just 4.6 million people-less than just the Bay Area, yet virtually every town has a trail system nearby built by mountain bikers for mountain bikers. There are towns in BC with 10,000 people that have trail systems larger than the entire Bay Area bike legal trail system.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Insaneduane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    124
    I will never give up my MP3 speakers cuz I remember the days when I used to have to strap one of these to the handlebars if I wanted music while I rode. Not to mention carrying a bunch of extra tapes in a backpack.

    Favorite ride music
    Rancid
    Misfits
    Iron Maiden
    And many more.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I was going to be a smartass in Griz's thread:
    What's your favorite thing about riding NorCal trails?

    But that would not be nice to derail it from the get go. But post your quips here and I might win some free socks. I hear the roadbikereview threads are siiiiick.


    So what do you NOT like about Norcal trails. And specify which region you're talking about.

    fc
    What region? Midpen
    What i donk like? 15 mph rule

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    And PLEASE leave the bluetooth speakers at home! Nobody else wanted to hear your disco or EDM. I don't know about others, but I find that quite annoying - especially when I'm out solo and looking to connect with nature just a little. Maybe it's just me and my old age...
    I find loud freehubs to be just as annoying, even though many consider them a status symbol.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    974

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    I don't understand why people don't like when other people play their music out loud. If you don't want to hear it, don't ride within 50 feet of them. If you are on a single track it really can't be that much trouble for you to stop and wait for them to pass. Or ride faster and leave their tunes in the dust.

    Now something I hate is when people play music out loud on public transportation.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    974

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    Oh, I thought of another thing.
    I hate that I cannot enjoy a post ride meal in Santa Cruz without looking out the window every 3 seconds to see if someone is stealing my bike.

  33. #133
    Over it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    I find loud freehubs to be just as annoying, even though many consider them a status symbol.
    They used to annoy me until I discovered that the noise was a byproduct of function--with the added bonus that you don't need one of those truly annoying bells. I miss the I9's from my last bike...
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

    "I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    319
    I rode up to the stump recently and someone was blasting a Bieber song. There's no excuse for that, ever.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Truckee29's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    I find loud freehubs to be just as annoying, even though many consider them a status symbol.
    Status symbol? That's a stretch.. For me it's a necessity. If you're 200lb + rider you'll ride what holds up the best (CK) Especially if you've had the pleasurable experience of carrying your bike back out when your uber lightweight, ultra quiet freehub implodes 5 miles from your Badass status symbol Tacoma.. But that's another thread

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    They used to annoy me until I discovered that the noise was a byproduct of function--with the added bonus that you don't need one of those truly annoying bells. I miss the I9's from my last bike...
    I know what the function is. I have also been riding for 30 years and never needed that function. The instant engagement factor seems to me to be overblown. I have demoed bikes with noisy hubs and the difference is negligible. The noise is not.

    If you are a particularly heavy rider and standard freehubs just don't hold up to your weight, then it is a legit need. Most are not.

    We all know it is just the motorless version of BRAAAP.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I don't understand why people don't like when other people play their music out loud. If you don't want to hear it, don't ride within 50 feet of them. If you are on a single track it really can't be that much trouble for you to stop and wait for them to pass. Or ride faster and leave their tunes in the dust.

    Now something I hate is when people play music out loud on public transportation.
    So you don't understand why somebody who is out in a very secluded, peaceful, and serene natural setting, enjoying a break from the noise pollution of a densely populated urban area, mind totally clear, and enjoying the relaxed meditative state that has been achieved by the calm sounds of the breeze and the birds, does not want to hear another person's sh!tty, thumping music blasting out of their bluetooth speaker?

    For some of us, riding out in nature is a lot more than just a red bull fueled adrenaline rush. We want to clear our mind and escape the noise and chaos and when somebody is blasting music, it takes us right out of that state the second we are subjected to it. Yes I'm talking to you Squashyo!

  38. #138
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    OK, thread benefit here...

    I don't ride with bluetooth speakers blasting. I kind of like it sometimes but I don't bother. I don't like that the music is facing away from me unless I mount the speaker on my handlebar. But when I'm riding with my three high school groms, they ride with a speaker 50% of the time. Kind of a group ride thing for them and they're more stoked when there's some hip-hop playing. I don't mind it so I let them do their thing. Usually, there's very few folks on the trail but we come across other folks sometime.

    But seeing how it really bothers some folks here... I will never ride with them again. And I will educate my son not to do it with me or not.

    Not too hard AND it's the sensible and considerate thing to do.

    Last edited by fc; 07-14-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    IPA will save America

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    879
    i dont like the music in the tranquil wilderness at all..but i am sure has hell not gonna give a **** about it either.. trying to keep tranquil thoughts in my usually raging brain is the real challenge.

    the distraction is shortlived..i'm not gonna let it bother me.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  40. #140
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    So you don't understand why somebody who is out in a very secluded, peaceful, and serene natural setting, enjoying a break from the noise pollution of a densely populated urban area, mind totally clear, and enjoying the relaxed meditative state that has been achieved by the calm sounds of the breeze and the birds, does not want to hear another person's sh!tty, thumping music blasting out of their bluetooth speaker?

    For some of us, riding out in nature is a lot more than just a red bull fueled adrenaline rush. We want to clear our mind and escape the noise and chaos and when somebody is blasting music, it takes us right out of that state the second we are subjected to it. Yes I'm talking to you Squashyo!
    I couldn't agree more...get yourself some ear buds and get your groove on that way...on second thought, only use one ear bud...that way you can hear the other people catching you. I've got a whole story about that

  41. #141
    bad reputation
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    All the good trails are illegal and because of that many of the built features are janky. Look before you leap.
    ^^^ This is truth ^^^

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,904
    Hm...ok Skyno. I'll leave my speaker off when we ride moving forward. But I do long rides solo a lot and the music helps me with my evil thoughts and fires me up so I sure as hell ain't stopping. I also like to listen to podcasts on long climbs (it's my industry).

    I do try my very best to lower the volume to nothing when approaching a group (especially on climbs when the exposure to my rad music would be longer) but most of you will likely only hear me for 30 seconds or less. If you engage in a conversation, I turn it off immediately.

    I usually get people saying they dig my set up but I can see how it might bug others looking to nature out. I tried headphones but find it hazardous. Other people's music doesn't bother me in the least...I know I can remove them from my environment by riding faster or taking a break and I am just happy to be out on my bike amongst people doing the same.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Hm...ok Skyno. I'll leave my speaker off when we ride moving forward. But I do long rides solo a lot and the music helps me with my evil thoughts and fires me up so I sure as hell ain't stopping. I also like to listen to podcasts on long climbs (it's my industry).

    I do try my very best to lower the volume to nothing when approaching a group (especially on climbs when the exposure to my rad music would be longer) but most of you will likely only hear me for 30 seconds or less. If you engage in a conversation, I turn it off immediately.

    I usually get people saying they dig my set up but I can see how it might bug others looking to nature out. I tried headphones but find it hazardous. Other people's music doesn't bother me in the least...I know I can remove them from my environment by riding faster or taking a break and I am just happy to be out on my bike amongst people doing the same.
    Not really as a big of a deal as I made it sound! I was just exaggerating and being overly-dramatic because I found it surprising that somebody else couldn't see how loud music in nature might bother some people, so really just driving home a point. Keep your sh!tty music blasting when we ride! I would rather listen to that than think that voices are telling you to kill and eat me.

  44. #144
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Kaboom! This is yours. Send me your addy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8546.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1146279
    Name:  napoleon-dynamite-1-ugh-lucky.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  11.5 KB

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: griffsterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    599

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    Here's the thing. If I'm riding solo I want to listen to the sounds of nature, get into a zen-like state, become one with the trees, etc etc etc

    If you pass me with some speakers I can deal with a 30 second interruption. Who cares.

    And if it's a group ride, there's noise anyway. Other bikes, people chatting, I see it as more of a rowdy affair so the music doesn't bother me in that scenario either.

    Bottom line - who cares either way, it's fine imo unless it's REALLY loud.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  46. #146
    Over it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,370
    ^^ I concur.

    I never really even notice Squashyo's music when we ride. And he stopped playing Bieber at the stump years ago.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

    "I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

  47. #147
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Status symbol? That's a stretch.. For me it's a necessity. If you're 200lb + rider you'll ride what holds up the best (CK) Especially if you've had the pleasurable experience of carrying your bike back out when your uber lightweight, ultra quiet freehub implodes 5 miles from your Badass status symbol Tacoma.. But that's another thread
    Shimano hubs are very strong and quiet.

    These loud hubs came with the advent of White Industries and Chris King. Now there's a bunch of bling, quiet, strong hub options finally.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  48. #148
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    All the good trails are illegal and because of that all the built features are janky. Look before you leap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A-men. Hella janky.
    IPA will save America

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Truckee29's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post

    We all know it is just the motorless version of BRAAAP.
    Right..

  50. #150
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    So did you say no or go??

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-fzr30pqgh4a9794.large.jpg
    IPA will save America

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,904
    Seems like a solid bear/mountain lion deterrent to me. I'd see this working with this song played at 11 on a loop:

    I'm not sure how this works.

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Truckee29's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Shimano hubs are very strong and quiet.

    These loud hubs came with the advent of White Industries and Chris King. Now there's a bunch of bling, quiet, strong hub options finally.

    fc
    Serviceability and parts are priority to me as well as flange diameter. If you build your own wheels or ride them hard you'll appreciate that CK hubs have all this.

    I could care less about the sound, bling or colorful ano. I'm way past that point in my life. And I don't particularly care for the loudness of the freehub but it's a result of their beefy design. BTW they tend to be more noisy when they're in need of service.

    I have SC Hightower. The wheels that came on this bike were built up on I9 hubs. In less than a year of normal trail riding the rear bearings have already crapped out. I have never lost a bearing on any of my CK hubs

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    974

    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? 😊

    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    So you don't understand why somebody who is out in a very secluded, peaceful, and serene natural setting, enjoying a break from the noise pollution of a densely populated urban area, mind totally clear, and enjoying the relaxed meditative state that has been achieved by the calm sounds of the breeze and the birds, does not want to hear another person's sh!tty, thumping music blasting out of their bluetooth speaker?

    For some of us, riding out in nature is a lot more than just a red bull fueled adrenaline rush. We want to clear our mind and escape the noise and chaos and when somebody is blasting music, it takes us right out of that state the second we are subjected to it. Yes I'm talking to you Squashyo!
    Oh no, 30 seconds of your 3 hour ride may be polluted by blasting music.

    Unless it is your riding buddies with the music...

    Edit: And just to clarify, I have never ridden with speakers or even headphones, nor do I ever ride with anyone that uses speakers.

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,259
    I ride with a speaker at the top of my pack aimed at my head (not loud) on solo rides on weekday mornings when there are very few people out. I also listen to the best music, not pop junk, so it is actually community service.

    I don't really care about loud hubs since I only hear them for a few seconds as we pass each other. I just think it's dumb to hear complaints about music that you might hear for a few seconds when loud hubs are more annoying (to me, anyway). Now the fool blasting his music really loud when trails are crowded, that is annoying. Mostly because it is usually junk.

    One of the coolest early morning ride experiences I had was hearing a guy climbing up toward me in really foggy redwoods singing Pink Floyd - Time. He was embarrassed when he saw me, but it actually sounded good and the dense fog seemed to carry the sound pretty far. So, if it is good music, blast away!

  55. #155
    Cheeseburgler
    Reputation: gryphonics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    336
    Get onyx hubs. Bulletproof and completely silent. Instant engagement too. I doubt I will go back.

    I don't mind people with music on trails as much as a I do at the ski resort. If I owned a ski resort I would lifetime ban people with music in the lifts. On the trails it is easier to get away from people.

    I just wish we could have more legal trails that are for advanced riders. It is really weird that mountain biking around the bay area is this semi-fight club like thing where everyone is riding illegally built trails, and there are tons of people doing it, but we have to pretend like its not happening in polite company.

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    238
    This year I started riding with music playing on my phone which is strapped to my top tube.When playing direct from the phone it's really not very loud at all, I try to turn it down when I see grumpy people approaching and don't play it at all in areas with increased volumes of intolerant individuals. I too vehemently oppose the broheims with the subs strapped to their packs so everyone can hear the crappy soundtrack while witnessing the spectacle of their awesomeness. This ranks right up there with horse $hit on the trail.

  57. #157
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    I ride with a speaker at the top of my pack aimed at my head (not loud) on solo rides on weekday mornings when there are very few people out. I also listen to the best music, not pop junk, so it is actually community service.

    I don't really care about loud hubs since I only hear them for a few seconds as we pass each other. I just think it's dumb to hear complaints about music that you might hear for a few seconds when loud hubs are more annoying (to me, anyway). Now the fool blasting his music really loud when trails are crowded, that is annoying. Mostly because it is usually junk.

    One of the coolest early morning ride experiences I had was hearing a guy climbing up toward me in really foggy redwoods singing Pink Floyd - Time. He was embarrassed when he saw me, but it actually sounded good and the dense fog seemed to carry the sound pretty far. So, if it is good music, blast away!
    What is "good music" Someone's good is another's torture.

    Also when you get stuck behind, or in front of someone climbing at same pace with audible music, that is a bigger issue.

    I like the speakers by the ears setup. That will barely be heard by others specially when riding at off peak times.

    Point is some folks don't mind it but some get annoyed by it as clearly stated here. So I'll choose not to do it in my groups. Better to be sensitive and err on that side rather than rationalize why those 'others' are complainers.
    IPA will save America

  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    879
    what's the verdict on that TIMBER-bell thing? obnoxious?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  59. #159
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,911
    Does someone's mouth constitute speakers? What if you're riding with someone that talks non-stop? Just curious.

    I use Coghlan's bear bell. I have been for years.

  60. #160
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    what's the verdict on that TIMBER-bell thing? obnoxious?
    East Bay required and some other areas as well. Good for blind corners. Timber and a couple other designs allows one to turn them 'constant on' during downhills and off at other times.

    The ones who have it dinging the WHOLE time on wide open trails or just normal trails are a bit odd.
    IPA will save America

  61. #161
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    what's the verdict on that TIMBER-bell thing? obnoxious?
    Errryyyybody needs one. Essential. The sooner that happens the sooner we get access to the trail network.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  62. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,464
    So much of this whole music discussion is about courtesy, context and optics as well. If you are blasting down a DH run at a bike park, railing wooden features and sending gap jumps, of course rock on and make sure it's loud! But if you are on a wilderness XC ride in a peaceful setting, that has totally different mood and maybe Megadeth blaring out of your speakers isn't as appropriate.

    Also, let's think about the optics of his when encountering a hiker who really is trying to commune with nature. They see a padded-up full face MTB-er speeding by with loud blasting music vs. a fellow nature lover enjoying the forest just like them but just happens to be using a bike.

    For me personally, while I prefer no music, the music isn't that big of a deal - obviously I have low standards since I ride with folks like Squashyo and Griz. However, if you can't see how it could potentially bother another person, then you just aren't a considerate person. The "it's only for a few seconds" argument is ridiculous. If somebody is peacefully meditating and you blow an air horn into their ear, it may be for only a split-second, but it is still very disruptive.

    However, you get a pass and an exception can always be made if you are listening to Pink Floyd - that is more like listening to art.

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What is "good music" Someone's good is another's torture.
    Just play Freebird on repeat. I highly doubt a single person riding by will be like "turn that trash down"

  64. #164
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    So much of this whole music discussion is about courtesy, context and optics as well. If you are blasting down a DH run at a bike park, railing wooden features and sending gap jumps, of course rock on and make sure it's loud! But if you are on a wilderness XC ride in a peaceful setting, that has totally different mood and maybe Megadeth blaring out of your speakers isn't as appropriate.

    Also, let's think about the optics of his when encountering a hiker who really is trying to commune with nature. They see a padded-up full face MTB-er speeding by with loud blasting music vs. a fellow nature lover enjoying the forest just like them but just happens to be using a bike.

    For me personally, while I prefer no music, the music isn't that big of a deal - obviously I have low standards since I ride with folks like Squashyo and Griz. However, if you can't see how it could potentially bother another person, then you just aren't a considerate person. The "it's only for a few seconds" argument is ridiculous. If somebody is peacefully meditating and you blow an air horn into their ear, it may be for only a split-second, but it is still very disruptive.

    However, you get a pass and an exception can always be made if you are listening to Pink Floyd - that is more like listening to art.
    I just mounted my new speakers on my helmet...do you want to hear Megadeth or country, it's up to you?

  65. #165
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I just mounted my new speakers on my helmet...do you want to hear Megadeth or country, it's up to you?
    What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-razerheadset10.jpg

  66. #166
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I just mounted my new speakers on my helmet...do you want to hear Megadeth or country, it's up to you?
    Broadway show tunes! Maybe some opera.
    So many trails... so little time...

  67. #167
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,170
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    So much of this whole music discussion is about courtesy, context and optics as well. If you are blasting down a DH run at a bike park, railing wooden features and sending gap jumps, of course rock on and make sure it's loud! But if you are on a wilderness XC ride in a peaceful setting, that has totally different mood and maybe Megadeth blaring out of your speakers isn't as appropriate.

    Also, let's think about the optics of his when encountering a hiker who really is trying to commune with nature. They see a padded-up full face MTB-er speeding by with loud blasting music vs. a fellow nature lover enjoying the forest just like them but just happens to be using a bike.

    For me personally, while I prefer no music, the music isn't that big of a deal - obviously I have low standards since I ride with folks like Squashyo and Griz. However, if you can't see how it could potentially bother another person, then you just aren't a considerate person. The "it's only for a few seconds" argument is ridiculous. If somebody is peacefully meditating and you blow an air horn into their ear, it may be for only a split-second, but it is still very disruptive.

    However, you get a pass and an exception can always be made if you are listening to Pink Floyd - that is more like listening to art.
    Usually, it's the hikers at mission peak that have their crappy music playing aloud.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  68. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation: O5-KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    what's the verdict on that TIMBER-bell thing? obnoxious?
    I actually love it !

  69. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What is "good music" Someone's good is another's torture.
    Whatever I listen to, of course.

  70. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation: killjoyken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I hate that I've never spotted a cougar despite 20 years of trying.
    I saw my first cougar at Rancho Canada del Oro last year and it was not as fun as you think. I'm just glad it didn't think I was worth the fight!

    Not much else to complain about bay area trails except the rude equestrians and hikers. I'm just sad I don't live in Santa Cruz.

    As for loud hubs?

    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Norco Torrent 7.1

  71. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    679
    People who want more bike access on trails and buy $10K grandpa bikes to barely make it up the climbs before stopping at every junction with their fata$$ friends.

  72. #172
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Folks who are 'too busy' to ride

    3 out of a 100 show up for trail work, on average

    Riders who think ALL ipa is over hopped and over hyped.

    IPA will save America

  73. #173
    my body breaks the falls
    Reputation: twindaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Bottom line - who cares either way, it's fine imo unless it's REALLY loud.
    I thought the whole point of this thread was to complain about random, inconsequential sh1t because we're elitist assh0les living in NorCal. My bad
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

  74. #174
    my body breaks the falls
    Reputation: twindaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    do you want to hear Megadeth or country it's up to you?
    I suspect I would have never mentioned it if anyone I'd ever heard with speakers was playing Megadeth. And bonus points for spelling it properly!

    I like the comment about the optics. We have to be aware of how others might perceive us. It's no big deal in a Demo or UC setting, but maybe it is elsewhere.

    Carry on. Off to drink an overly hopped IPA while listening to some Megadeth.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

  75. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,259
    Whiners. I can't stand whiners, especially the ones who go on forums and complain about people and the dumb little things that bug them. Can't we all just get along?

    /irony

    After my buddy died from a crash last month, it made me realized that we really need to appreciate what we have and just put up with little annoyances. It's a waste of time and energy to get worked up over the little stuff. We have some great trails to ride. We don't all think the same, but we are on the same team if we enjoy the outdoors and love to push our two-wheelers up the mountain so we can experience the closest thing to flying through the Endor forest on the way back down.

    In the words of Abraham Lincoln, "Be excellent to each other"

  76. #176
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Whiners. I can't stand whiners, especially the ones who go on forums and complain about people and the dumb little things that bug them. Can't we all just get along?

    /irony

    After my buddy died from a crash last month, it made me realized that we really need to appreciate what we have and just put up with little annoyances. It's a waste of time and energy to get worked up over the little stuff. We have some great trails to ride. We don't all think the same, but we are on the same team if we enjoy the outdoors and love to push our two-wheelers up the mountain so we can experience the closest thing to flying through the Endor forest on the way back down.

    In the words of Abraham Lincoln, "Be excellent to each other"
    You're in the wrong thread...you want mine 😃
    What's your favorite thing about riding NorCal trails?

  77. #177
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Whiners. I can't stand whiners, especially the ones who go on forums and complain about people and the dumb little things that bug them. Can't we all just get along?

    /irony

    After my buddy died from a crash last month, it made me realized that we really need to appreciate what we have and just put up with little annoyances. It's a waste of time and energy to get worked up over the little stuff. We have some great trails to ride. We don't all think the same, but we are on the same team if we enjoy the outdoors and love to push our two-wheelers up the mountain so we can experience the closest thing to flying through the Endor forest on the way back down.

    In the words of Abraham Lincoln, "Be excellent to each other"
    This ^^

    *strums air guitar*

    Riding is what saves us and unites us.

  78. #178
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    176! Does it have the legs to do the double century?

    I hate folks who think it's ok to discuss in a forum.

    That dude had a good axe to grind on folks who block singletrack by putting their bike down in the middle of the trail. But he had to start his own sock thread. Btw, I'll make sure every group I'm in doesn't do that.

    Here's one... foot high piles of horse poo on the singletrack on my local trail. One week later, the pile is still there.
    IPA will save America

  79. #179
    Trail Gnome Moderator
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

    Here's one... foot high piles of horse poo on the singletrack on my local trail. One week later, the pile is still there.
    Those are called trail features...

  80. #180
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

    Here's one... foot high piles of horse poo on the singletrack on my local trail. One week later, the pile is still there.
    At least it's dry by that point.

  81. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    271
    Oh yeah - worse than horse poo? Dog walkers who bag their s**t and then leave the bag on the side of the trail because "I'm going to pick it up on my way back".

    I call BS - just kick it into the woods! Don't leave a plastic bag on the side of the trail

  82. #182
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Oh yeah - worse than horse poo? Dog walkers who bag their s**t and then leave the bag on the side of the trail because "I'm going to pick it up on my way back".

    I call BS - just kick it into the woods! Don't leave a plastic bag on the side of the trail
    I'll pick it up next month they said!!
    IPA will save America

  83. #183
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Here's one... foot high piles of horse poo on the singletrack on my local trail. One week later, the pile is still there.
    must be fremont older. that place is freakin dangerous, and not because of dangerous biking, but poop everywhere, and thinking it could be flung from a tire onto your bottle/camelbak valve. ick.

  84. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    565
    The radar gun thing is bizarre 🤣 but my gut instinct is that your part of the world is still a pretty special place overall even with its warts. ☺

    I'm from Pennsylvania and I honestly doubt most of you would trade what you have for the slick rocks and roots, poison ivy on steroids, 6 or 7 types of biting flies, Lyme disease deer ticks (which have badly screwed up several of my friends) by the million, humid gross summers, cold damp and/or ice-glazed winters, spring mud, and fall deer season "if it's brown, it's down" so you better wear orange in the woods or you get shot.

    Perspective is everything as a mountain biker from Louisiana would probably say I have it good and don't realize it so there's that.

  85. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Here's one: The lack of women... riding.

    .
    not at Annadel. lots of solo women riding. mixed feelings..when i see them, i have to shut my mouth and breath from my nose, faking..."pffft! this tiny hill?!"..in the meantime depriving my exploding muscles from precious oxygen.

    i wont even bring up the copious amount of women trail runners. for practice i pull over and act like a gentleman..GodBless those boyshort running shorts..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  86. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,904
    I hate how ripped I am getting from climbing Los Gatos Fire roads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's do you not like about riding NorCal trails? :)-20184835_108144786511362_1029674025023963136_n.jpg  

    I'm not sure how this works.

  87. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RWhiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    273
    Maybe not trail specific, but there has been a rash of bike thefts in the north Tahoe area, so even just putting my bike in the back of my PU requires locking it, and regularly checking on it. This is the first year I've had to do this. We had a kayak and a paddle board stolen this spring, they were locked on a rack near our condo in north Tahoe. This year it has been bad.
    And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

  88. #188
    fc
    fc is offline
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    28,563
    Quote Originally Posted by RWhiz View Post
    Maybe not trail specific, but there has been a rash of bike thefts in the north Tahoe area, so even just putting my bike in the back of my PU requires locking it, and regularly checking on it. This is the first year I've had to do this. We had a kayak and a paddle board stolen this spring, they were locked on a rack near our condo in north Tahoe. This year it has been bad.
    This kind of sucks huh? Leaving a bike unattended for 10 seconds is no longer allowed. Everyone is a suspect!!!!!
    IPA will save America

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Norcal Lycra - Norcal Baggies
    By motorbacon in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 04:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 04:20 AM
  3. You'd Think That Norcal Dealers Would Like Specialized More
    By LandSpeed in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  4. You like me, you really like me...
    By Ken in KC in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
  5. NorCal Pliny vs. NorCal PBR
    By Biker_Scout_Sparky in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Members who have read this thread: 343

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •