mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What are you doing for food on trips?

Weekend trips to races or rides have been happening. The first thing we all yell out in the rig on the way out of town is not to stop for food first, but get on the road and grab something later. Of course after loud music, loud talking and getting out of town asap, we are essentially eating junk from the gas station, when we stop for fuel. That's all fine and swell, but dang, I'm getting old and funyuns, a coke and slimjims are literally, killing me.

On the trail during the weekend I'm usually so amped that I bring a Gu packet and maybe some kind of Heed or something and bypass real food all together. Seems like a poorly thought out plan when I am hitting up the sandwich shop and dropping cash left and right to feed my need.

I feel so cliché typing this, opening myself to ridicule, but I'd like to know. Teach me oh wise ones of MTBR, the ways of the professional that never seems to miss that important turkey and cheese when we all eat, well, nothing.

TWM
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Refer to my Avatar for advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Refer to my Avatar for advice.
    Check you out! It's like you saw the movie before the preview.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It's called Granzella's on your way to Ashland. You KNOW this & you aren't even a rookie anymore. Well....

- On the return-trip you ask? REPEAT!

Carry on, nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Road trips are made for eating crappy gas station food and drive thru junk. Practically the only time i ever eat McDonalds is when I'm road tripping. But I'm getting older and wiser and like to eat healthier. What I do is hit the deli counter at the local supermarket. Load up on different meats, cheeses and some fresh baked breads. I'll spend a little time at home making a few sandwiches. I'll load up a cooler with some healthy snacks and beverages and keep the sandwiches in the cooler. The sandwiches will last for a few days before they start getting to soggy too eat.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm doing exactly what badfish says and no, you can't have any.

I have one goal. To do 50 miles of drop runs. In one day

OK 2 goals. Next is to shred coffee grounds dirt fresh like a daisy while you sweat out "Elvis' last meal".

Doh!

aka dan51
    I love road trips, as it's one of the few times we eat junk food, but after getting tired of that we will stop by a Safeway and grab some of their deli salads. They have a good broccoli salad, fruit salads, pasta salads... Grab a loaf of DKB and some bananas and you're set for 1-2 days.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sometimes I have to break down for fast food but, usually I'm looking for good mexican.

I got my spots all over I-80, and if travelling north or south will usually research and plan some tasty stops in advance.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    When I get the chance to get out of town and enjoy me time I do not stop at the gas station. Tri tip and chicken kabobs with homemade potato salad comes to mind. With a stove or grill and a couple extra minutes and you have a feast. I like doing it this way so it never feels like an effort. I hate making the arrangements for accommodations so I let that to another group member. We did pulled pork sandwiches with some pre made jack daniels deal from raley's and it was awesome! Get creative and enjoy it as part of the adventure, that is what I do!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Local microbrews.

What else do you need?
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Local microbrews.

What else do you need?
    Beer. It solves everyone's problems. Unless you're the driver!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Beer. It solves everyone's problems. Unless you're the driver!!
    Well played.

mtbr member
    There are some good cereals out there now (think granola types with pumpkin and flax seed & other goodies in them) pre ride. Fruit travels well as does peanut butter & honey sandwiches on the ride. For a meal I will make Quinoa, add some tuna & veggies (tomato, artichoke hearts, corn, green beans) or go with chicken, black beans, corn & salsa. These all are quick to make and easy to travel with, with no cooking required once your on the road. If you need to stop on the road, burritos and burgers are always top on my list, but the only fast food chain I will go to is In-N-Out if I can help it.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

I like mtn biking, too
    Smoothies are great because they are so quick and portable. So, before heading out on a trip I'll usually make one with bananas, greens, celery, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, sometimes coconut or hemp milk but mostly just water. We'll bring whole fruit along as well, which is nice just after a ride (especially when it's hot). Lately I also have been pre-mixing a Vega protein shake to down just after the ride. For food to-go, coffee shops sometimes have things that are substantial but not total junk food, like a bagel with peanut butter or hummus. Or we'll sometimes just google map the local health food shop, which usually carry things like sushi or sandwiches or a bowl of soup or more smoothie. But yeah... despite all our attempts at healthy living, we always seem to have a cooler full of beer and chips and salsa.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Mtn View, CA
    Intake manifold cooking. Wrap thawed frozen burritos or hotpockets in foil and place on intake manifold of the engine before you leave. After a couple hours they should be ready to eat. Or just make/buy some sandwiches the night before and put them in a cooler.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Weird huh?
    Carboplex mixed in water. Glucose tablets. Bananas and oranges in zip loc bags that you mash up, leave in your jersey pocket, then bite the corner off of, and 2 malt nut Powerbars, unwrapped, and molded around the handlebars near the stem.

The 1980's are a fond time in my world...
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Subway. Lots of Subway. Which I don't enjoy at all but doesn't make me feel like shiz. Also lots of PB&J's. If I am stopping along the road it's almost always burrito's. Grilled chicken, beans, cheese, rice and avocado is usually manageable.

All of that is on the way to rides/races. On the way home it's all pizza and double doubles.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.