swag ho Administrator

What the UPS truck delivered today...an ECU

I get home from Vegas and there's an ECU at my door. While I was away, I shipped out my car brain and had some nerds reprogram to get more power. Yeah!

My car is a Passat with a small 1.8T engine. 180 horse, decent torque. I've been planning to chip it since Day 1 three years ago but just never got around to it. Last week, I bike with two different people fromt this site and they say 'you chip it yet?' No. 'What's your problem?' They have three 1.8Ts between them all chipped, awesome performance, same mileage and no problems.

So I pull the trigger while I'm gone since this is all done by mail. I plug it back in the car and start er up. My 35-mile commute to work is either through highway 101 or 280... but not today. Today, we will do 42 miles through the 9-35-92... the mountains.

Oh yah, the mountains. And it looks like a clear day. No freeway, just curvy mountain roads. Little Passat has upgraded Bilstein suspension and soft tires so curves are ok. Power was not as enthusiastic. But it now it's different. This car is CHARGING! Dayum. The turbo now whines very noticeably then a lot of whoooshing sounds ensue.

Downtown Saratoga, then the mountains...

whirrrrrr, whoosh, whoosh

Ahh the ocean on de left side. This is rarely seen as it's always socked in with fog. But fall in the SF bay area is brilliant. And visibility today is UNLIMITED.

Oh cool Alice's

Now for the best part. A couple mile uphill climb with 10 turns. This is where the car has an angry attitude!

Oh hey Skeggs Point. I hear bikers like to ride the off-road trails here.

And then to my dreary office building. Big smile not from a morning ride but a morning drive.

francois

Tech notes:
    The VW 1.8T engine is overbuilt with a large turbo at very low boost. The main thing the 'chip' does is boost up the turbo. 34 extra horse and almost 100 ft/lbs of torque. If you have a 1.8T on your Bug,Jetta, Golf, Passat, A4, or TT chip it for $500 at goapr.com. Only caveat is you need upgraded suspension so you don't drive off the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Oh, great. Just what we need- some guy with a newly Push'ed car, driving as fast as he can, taking pics while he drives.

Glad I live elsewhere!

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Oh, great. Just what we need- some guy with a newly Push'ed car, driving as fast as he can, taking pics while he drives.

Glad I live elsewhere!

fp

I'm going to your hometown this weekend biatch. Got a camcorder this time!!

fc

Medium?

Whoa

My car started with 260 hp and 350 ft-lbs. Maybe I should get a couple of them turbos...

Nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is exactly what i was looking for. thank you for the informative post and keep up the good work!

Track Junkie
    $500 could also buy you 3 track days with an instructor. Invest the money in yourself to become a better driver. (not implying that you're a bad one) A little training and practice pays huge dividends.

Why increase the limits of your car if you don't have the skills (or environment) to explore them safely?
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AlissonMurphy
    This is exactly what i was looking for. thank you for the informative post and keep up the good work!
    ok, you win the award for resurrecting extinct posts

fc
    IPA will save America