Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I've never had a Pliny

What is up with all the skid kiddies?!

I did Downieville 4 weekends ago. Sunrise, Butcher, Pauley, Third etc. It was buffed, in great shape. Sunrise was especially sweet with just a few snow spots. Went back yesterday - Sunrise is already beat to $#!+ as is a lot of Third. Huge braking bumps leading up to any kind of feature - some of them actual pits. Like moguls. I'm calling BS.

I'll attribute some of it to newbies and that's cool. But how much of this is people who just don't give a $#!+ and have never worked on modulated braking? Killing some great riding.

On another note, did Pauley Creek and it delivered huge grins yet again. One of the best Trails in the Sierra.

I'm really diggin it!
    It's just a really dry year.

Custom User Title
    I have wondered if it is the Moto's going up and the bikes going down that produces wonky rhythm to some of the bumps on Butcher ranch. I only notice it on Butcher, Just a theory, maybe nothing to it.

George

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Yes. I'd throw the moto's under the bus before the skid kiddies!

Either way, it'll rain at some point in the next month and all we be good.

Or it won't rain and it'll still be pretty damn good.

Edit: Beaverbiker nailed it. It's just a variation of tech!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 06-16-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Elitest thrill junkie
    Braking bumps form on most dirt roads too. Are they all skidding?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Yes. I'd throw the moto's under the bus before the skid kiddies!
    I'm not gonna throw anybody under a bus. Just an observation. I ride moto's as much as I ride MTB's. It's all good.

I happen to know some moto riders that spent this past weekend clearing trails up there.

mtbr member
    You can always bring your road bike up there and ride the pavement if you're not into the whole mountain biking thing with rocks and holes in the ground.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Braking bumps form on most dirt roads too. Are they all skidding?
    Washboard on dirt roads is the result of the powered acceleration of tires on rough and loose surfaces. They most often form on the uphill side of dirt roads or straightways where cars/trucks tend to accelerate. Similar phenomena, different mechanism.

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    Washboard on dirt roads is the result of the powered acceleration of tires on rough and loose surfaces. They most often form on the uphill side of dirt roads or straightways where cars/trucks tend to accelerate. Similar phenomena, different mechanism.
    mtbr translation:

downhill bumps: skid kiddies
    uphill bumps: strava kiddies

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'd solve the issue by riding a bike with front, and back shocks.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Braking bumps are caused by poor riding technique or pushing so hard, you are not being smooth. I'm sure trails used for racing get braking bumps. Not that the riders suck, but they are pushing hard.

And sometimes because the riders are just lame. I ride bikes and motorcycles.

You could leave bongs full of leafy green stuff at the top of the trails, I'm sure that would slow down some riders. Or call Home Depot and have the trail carpeted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Downieville is blown out because of shuttle access and being overridden in one direction. I have never ridden moto in Dville, but friends of mine from Chico have asked, and all have stated that they avoid anything related to mtb. Both out of respect for a sport they also participate in, but also for fear of being sued by Sworksporche-guy (we all know him)....

Braking bumps, blown out and the month of June are all synonyms of Riding in Summer.

Hey Kevo.. Bongs is like riding tubes. Bro. Everyone is vaping these days. Click.. Click... I'm high.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

I'm really diggin it!
    It's so weird because when I was there I had a great time. Loved the trails and did the shuttle run 2x with no problems. Had a great breakfast, lunch and dinner. The power went out and two of my best friends and I enjoyed a romantic dinner with a surly cook and some bewildered waitresses. Simply no problems at all. I just wish I wasn't an on call pilot.

So now we are trading Dramarancho with Dramaville? Sweet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Davey, I'm going to need you to fly me to.. Um.. Sh8t, let's just go to Whistler.

mtbr member
    Why is it always assumed that braking bumps exist because of bad riding technique? Braking bumps form on all high use trails with braking zones. I grew up on dirt roads and the washboard forms in the same places every year. It doesn't mean that no-one on the road knows how to drive on dirt, it's just the nature of wheels rolling over uneven terrain, and suspension reacting to the terrain. Every dirt road or trail that gets a lot of traffic will have these.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think motorcycles are allowed on most Downieville trails. If they are climbing, they will end up tearing the soil up on the steeper spots. Also Dville gets a lot of DH types that are trying to go as fast as possible, till they have to slam on the brakes and skid it up. Many people don't understand the "ride it don't slide it" slogan and will diss it with comments such as, "Ride somewhere else if you don't like dust". That being said, though, it is a dry year and those silty soils will get dusty no matter how careful you are.

mtbr member
    What is up with all the skid kiddies?!-screenshot_2014-06-16-15-44-50.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Downieville is blown out because of shuttle access and being overridden in one direction. I have never ridden moto in Dville, but friends of mine from Chico have asked, and all have stated that they avoid anything related to mtb. Both out of respect for a sport they also participate in, but also for fear of being sued by Sworksporche-guy (we all know him)....

Braking bumps, blown out and the month of June are all synonyms of Riding in Summer.

Hey Kevo.. Bongs is like riding tubes. Bro. Everyone is vaping these days. Click.. Click... I'm high.
    Lots of motorcycle guys try to avoid conflict with mtn bikers. A few just like conflict with everyone. Everyone has an ahole.

Trials tires are becoming popular. They grip like sneakers on a basketball court and minimized the impact.

I'm so old, I run tubes. As for the other, don't know, don't care. I am known to pull a can of beer out of my Camelbak. Just to shock people if nothing else. After a long climb and everyone is panting... Psssfft! WTF, was that? Liquid suspension being installed.

Sworksporche-guy run a tour group or try to own the trails?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is it me or did this thread get trolled super hard? Where's the OP in all this?

mtbr member

Hey Kevo.. Bongs is like riding tubes. Bro....

As in, you should carry one in your pack on rides?

I've never had a Pliny
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    You can always bring your road bike up there and ride the pavement if you're not into the whole mountain biking thing with rocks and holes in the ground.
    Whatever, dude. I'm totally into rocks and holes in the ground - upper Pauley is one of the best trails around. Big Boulder not far behind. Braking bumps f#@k a perfectly good trail. It's the dewshes that come into a corner or feature way hot and have to lock it up. It's chicken$#!+ riding.

Yeah, it's dry - an especially good reason to learn to either send a feature at speed or come into it gracefully without a $#!+load of trail displacement.

And yeah, I had a way good time up there always do. It's so dang fun sometimes I wonder if it's illegal. It's just the comparison between 4 weeks of use - it's dramatic. Can't imagine what it's going to be like during the race.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleezus View Post
    Why is it always assumed that braking bumps exist because of bad riding technique? Braking bumps form on all high use trails with braking zones. I grew up on dirt roads and the washboard forms in the same places every year. It doesn't mean that no-one on the road knows how to drive on dirt, it's just the nature of wheels rolling over uneven terrain, and suspension reacting to the terrain. Every dirt road or trail that gets a lot of traffic will have these.
    Sshh, if people start thinking this they'll have no one to blame!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I'm really diggin it!
    Davey, I'm going to need you to fly me to.. Um.. Sh8t, let's just go to Whistler.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVphs8eP6c4

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Ok, now all we need to do is start a pool to get a private flight to whistler.... We can sleep in the plane once we get there... right?

I'm really diggin it!
    No way man. I'm thinking chopper from YVR to the Top of the World trail. That would beat the bus ride for sure

They say money doesn't make you happy but it sure does help! I just need to get my hands on some. Other than becoming a permanent thorn in the MHC/MCL's side I'd be going on some sweet MTB adventures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast