mtbr member
    Jul 2007

What is this trail in San Mateo: by W. Hillsdale and 36th street

I just came across this trail about 1/2 mile from my house. It is at the end of LaurelWood Dr in San Mateo (94403). All this time I have lived here, about 3 yrs, I never knew.

I didn't go up there at 11pm, but I will visit it in the day time one of these days. Anyone know what name if this trail is? I just drove up to the trail head; the trail loooks like it is paved, at least the beginning and it snakes up the hills. Interesting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh wait, it's call the LaurelWood Park!. Just found it in Google.

Anyone been there?

mtbr member
    The trail your talking about is short,maybe a 1/4 mile.It basicly just connects LaurelWood Dr to de anza blvd.There is a paved path on one side and dirt single track that paralells it.When i lived in san mateo i used to go this way to get to water dog.There was a trail that may still be there that starts at laurelwood park and goes through sugarloaf and would take you to ralston ave.It made for a good ride,but its been many years since ive been up to sugarloaf so im not sure if that trail is still there.

mtbr member
    I just checked it out the google earth,the trails you see are on sugarloaf mountain and are mostly very steep.Theres an old dh course up there if you look for it but its super technical.Go exploring.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I always see the trails on sugarloaf mtn when I am driving along 92 going downhill direction. I thought that place is closed to bikes? I see it on the AAA map.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    I always see the trails on sugarloaf mtn when I am driving along 92 going downhill direction. I thought that place is closed to bikes? I see it on the AAA map.
    I think the whole mountain is closed during the summer,due to fire danger.But its usually a ghost town there anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh man, the DH is super technical, too bad, I wont be able to do it. And the fact that it's only 1/4 mile long it makes it less appealing. Just too bad since it's so close to me.

There is sign in front of the gate that says biking is OK. Though it may be closed, but I really dont see anyone will enforce it due to the fact that it isn't a popluar park.

"There was a trail that may still be there that starts at laurelwood park and goes through sugarloaf and would take you to ralston ave..."
    -wondering how I can find this trail.. hmmm...